These Wookie Cookies are made with an easy chocolate sugar cookie recipe and a gingerbread man cookie cutter. Press fork tongs into the dough for the simple wookiee fur. May the 4th be with you as you enjoy these Chewbacca cookies for Star Wars day!
These fun Wookie Cookies will be your kids' favorite for any Star Wars party! This chocolate sugar cookie recipe requires no chilling time so you can quickly get these in the oven and surprise your Star Wars fans. The cookies are cut using a gingerbread man cookie cutter and the hair detail of Chewbacca is simply from pressing the tongs from a fork into the cookie dough before baking. Super easy, super tasty! Anyone can get behind that!
Ingredients for Wookie Cookies
(full printable recipe at end of this post)
I like to focus on recipes with easy and accessible ingredients right from the grocery store or already in your pantry. Below are the ingredients to make these Chewbacca cookies.
- Unsalted butter (1 cup)
- Granulated sugar (1 cup)
- Egg (1 large)
- Vanilla (1 tablespoon)
- All-purpose flour (2 ½ cups)
- Cocoa powder (½ cup)
- Baking powder (2 teaspoons)
- Salt (½ teaspoon)
- Tub of chocolate frosting and pearl sprinkles (for decorating)
If you have salted butter on hand, you can use it but eliminate the salt listed in the ingredients. You may also want to grab decorating ingredients. I used what I had on hand -- a tub of chocolate frosting and pearl sprinkles. You can use what you want, adding eyes and a mouth, too!
Scroll to the bottom of this post for detailed recipe ingredients and instructions.
How to Make Wookie Cookies
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the step-by-step instructions and video on how to make these Star Wars cookies. The general steps are as follows:
- Preheat oven.
- Make the cookie dough. Mix staple cookie dough ingredients together to make the dough.
- Roll out cookie dough. Roll dough out on floured surface -- not too thin!
- Cut out wookie shapes. Use a gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out shapes in the dough.
- Press in the wookie hair. It is super easy to make these cookies look like our favorite wookie, Chewbacca. After cutting out the shapes, take a fork and randomly press the tongs all around the top of the cookie to make the "hair." Thanks to this blogger's brilliance for the idea!
- Bake the cookies.
- Decorate the cookies.
These chocolate sugar cookies do not take long in the oven, just 6 to 9 minutes, so do not over bake! It depends on how thick or thin you roll your cookie dough.
Star Wars Cookies
I thought that chocolate sugar cookies would be best for these wookie cookies, but you can also use my favorite gingerbread cookie dough with great results! I think more kids like chocolate cookies over gingerbread, which is why I made chocolate cookies.
Next Star Wars Day, I would love to try making Baby Yoda cookies! I'm not the best cookie decorator, but maybe I'll get the itch and try next year! 🙂
May the 4th Food Ideas
We love celebrating May the 4th with friends. Check out this post for more Star Wars food ideas that you can serve with these Wookie Cookies. That post also includes free printable food labels you can use for your party!
PRINT this recipe or PIN it to save for later. Made this recipe? Leave a star rating and tag me on Instagram @seededtable so I can see. I love hearing from you!
This article was originally published May 2020 and updated with optimized photos in February 2022 with no changes to the recipe.
Chocolate Wookie Cookies
For the cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (no warmer)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- chocolate frosting (I use a store-bought tub)
- pearl sprinkles
- other optional decorations as desired
Make the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Mix in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Roll the dough onto a clean floured working surface, no thinner than ¼-inch thick. Continue to flip and flour the dough as you roll. Use a gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out wookie shapes. Place onto prepare baking sheet.
- Press tongs of a fork into the wookie cookie dough to create the "hair". Bake 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cookies. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, decorate as desired. I like to use a small star tip to pipe the sash and then sprinkle pearls over top. Keep it simple.
- Climate and temperature can affect dough temperament. This is a wetter dough, but if dough is too wet to roll, add a little more flour until rolling consistency is reached.
- Do not roll dough too thin or it will be difficult to transfer cut out shapes to baking sheet.
- I recommend using a serving spatula with a beveled edge to transfer cut shapes to cookie sheets. The beveled edge helps the spatula get underneath the dough.
- Nutritional information is an estimate only, based on 1 medium sized cookie without decorations.