Easy Mexican Rice
This Mexican Rice recipe is SO easy that you'll want to make it for all of your Mexican dishes! You can serve this Easy Mexican Rice (or Spanish Rice) as a side dish for all your Mexican meals! This simple perfect Mexican Rice recipe doesn't include any extra fillings, so your picky kids will also love it!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice and cook until translucent (somewhat clear) about 3-4 minutes; stirring frequently.
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a rapid boil over high heat.
Cover, turn the heat down to almost low (a little less than medium low) and cook for 25 minutes. Remove cover and let stand 2-3 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Tips for Easy Mexican Rice Recipe
- Use a better brand of long-grain rice. Not the most expensive brand, but definitely not the cheapest. I found best results with a middle brand.
- If your rice turns out crunchy, cook it longer next time. 25 minutes is my sweet spot and should work for you, too.
- Cook the rice until it is translucent (kind of clear), which is typically about 3-4 minutes.
- When the rice is done cooking, remove the lid and let it set for 2-3 minutes before fluffy with a fork.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 679mg | Potassium: 230mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 263IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg