This easy Mexican Rice recipe is SO simple you’ll want to make it for all of your Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes! You can serve this perfect fluffy Mexican Rice (or Spanish Rice) as a side dish for all your Mexican meals!
Taco night at home is a frequent occurrence and so easy Mexican Rice is a side dish we often have with our Tex-Mex. Back in the day I used to buy the microwavable Spanish Rice packets for convenience — and because I didn’t have a good homemade recipe yet. Now I make this perfect Mexican Rice recipe all of the time. This easy Mexican Rice recipe doesn’t include any extra fillings, so your picky kids will also love it!
Mexican food is Ben’s favorite. I love it, too, but Ben could eat Mexican food and rice just about every single day without getting sick of it. Every date night, I have to challenge him to go somewhere besides a Mexican restaurant because we already frequent our favorite Mexican restaurant as a family. It’s nice to change it up when we don’t have the kiddos!
I’m glad to have this easy Mexican rice recipe for our Tex Mex meals at home. It’s super simple and results in a nice fluffy Mexican rice. Ben is happy to have more Mexican meals at home, too!
Easy Mexican Rice
This Easy Mexican Rice recipe is very versatile. The basic recipe includes no extra ingredients stirred in so that even your pickiest eaters can enjoy it. I honestly love it best this way, too! But, if you want to add in the extras, you can! Stir in some peas, diced tomatoes, green chiles, etc. No problem!
To kick it up a flair, you can also splash in a little lime juice into this perfect Mexican rice. I don’t, but only because I always serve lime slices with our Mexican dishes, so if someone wants to squeeze in a little juice to their food they can control it!
Simple Ingredients for Mexican Rice
You need the following simple ingredients to make this Easy Mexican Rice:
- Long-grain white rice
- Chicken broth or stock
- Tomato sauce
- Chili powder
- Garlic salt
- Vegetable or canola oil
What to serve with Easy Mexican Rice
How to make Perfect Mexican Rice
- Cook the rice in oil until translucent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
How SIMPLE is that!?? You can definitely make this.
I’m all about easy and simple these days, while keeping it healthy and homemade. This Mexican Rice recipe does just that!
Easy Mexican Rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice and cook until translucent (somewhat clear) about 3-4 minutes; stirring frequently.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a rapid boil over high heat.
- Cover, turn the heat down to almost low (a little less than medium low) and cook for 25 minutes. Remove cover and let stand 2-3 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Tips for Easy Mexican Rice Recipe
- Use a better brand of long-grain rice. Not the most expensive brand, but definitely not the cheapest. I found best results with a middle brand.
- If your rice turns out crunchy, cook it longer next time. 25 minutes is my sweet spot and should work for you, too.
- Cook the rice until it is translucent (kind of clear), which is typically about 3-4 minutes.
- When the rice is done cooking, remove the lid and let it set for 2-3 minutes before fluffy with a fork.