These baked chili dog sliders are simply hot dogs sandwiched into pull-apart rolls with melted cheese and chili sauce. An easy dinner idea for your family OR the ultimate party food!
I created this chili dog sliders recipe one night when I had no dinner plans and needed to use whatever I had on hand. We had hot dogs, but no hot dog buns. I did, however, have slider rolls so immediately thought about the baked ham and cheese sliders everyone loves and used that concept. They turned out SO good!
If you follow me on Instagram, you watched me making these in my stories the other day. Did you hear the "crunch" as I sliced through the sliders? These are heavenly, I tell ya!
This is basically another way to make chili cheese dogs and includes mostly the same items, with the exception of the rolls.
Gather these ingredients:
- Hot dogs (4 regular bun size)
- Slider rolls (12 ct.)
- Chili sauce from a can (1 cup)
- Shredded cheddar (1 cup)
- Butter (2 tablespoons)
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Poppy seeds
- Salt & pepper
You can also add chopped onions and other favorite hot dog fixin's. Make it your own!
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Can Chili for Hot Dogs
There are many variations of chili sauce you can use for your chili hot dog. One of my favorites is Michigan sauce -- an upstate New York staple. Since that can be hard to find, use any canned chili without beans.
Some of the best store-bought chili brands are Skyline, Wolf, Hormel and Bush's. Pick what you love!
The Best Hot Dogs
We think Nathan's all-beef hot dogs are the best, but use your favorite! Other brands we like are Hebrew National and Ballpark.
For the best chili hot dog sliders, follow these tips:
- Slice the hot dogs in half vertically before layering onto the rolls. This keeps them from rolling out of the sandwich and also doesn't overwhelm it.
- Bake at 350 for at least 20 minutes. You want to be sure the middle is heated through and the rolls are crispy. Ooooh yeah!
- Use freshly shredded cheese for best melty results. The pre-shredded is fine, too, but doesn't thoroughly melt and can be greasy.
- Feel free to top the chili sauce with chopped onions or vary up the butter topping with more spices you love!
- Let the hot sliders set about 5 minutes after removing from the oven and before slicing.
More Hot Dog Recipes
Baked Chili Dog Sliders
- 12 ct. slider rolls (such as King's Hawaiian, do not pull apart)
- 4 ct. hot dogs , sliced vertically in half
- 1 cup chili sauce without beans , from a can
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese , prefer freshly shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a large serrated bread knife, slice all 12 rolls in half horizontally so that you have one large top half and one large bottom half. (Do not pull the rolls apart.)
- Place the bottom half of the rolls into a rimmed baking sheet or 9x13 pan. Line hot dogs in single layer, then cover evenly with chili sauce. Top with shredded cheese. Add top half of rolls.
- Cover with foil and bake 10 minutes, remove foil and bake another 10 minutes; until golden and heated through.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes. To serve, slice into individual sliders.
- Add raw chopped onions to the layers or other favorite hot dog fixins.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only.