My sister in law makes the best mashed potatoes every time we’re together for the holidays. This year, that side of the family can not all be together, so I asked her to email me the recipe. These are the gooiest, cheesiest, yummiest mashed potatoes I’ve ever had. Very simple to put together, but make sure you have a huge pot to boil and mash the potatoes because it makes a ton, yet somehow still fits in a 9- x 13- inch pan.
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lbs red or yellow potatoes , peeled or unpeeled, quartered
- 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb block low-moisture mozzarella , divided
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Heat over the stove top until boiling, and let boil until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat and mash (either with a potato masher or hand mixer). Blend in the cream cheese and butter, allow to cool for a few minutes then stir in the egg. Once the egg is added, slowly pour in the milk and blend until fully incorporated and the potatoes are a little more liquidy than regular mashed potatoes. Use more milk, if needed, but do not add so much that the milk can no longer be absorbed by the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a 9- x 13- inch pan. Scrape half of the potatoes into the prepared pan. Cut three-quarters of the Mozzarella into small cubes and place evenly over the top of the potatoes in the pan. Pour the rest of the potatoes into the pan on top of the cubed Mozzarella.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the edges begin to slightly brown. Shred the remaining one-quarter of Mozzarella and sprinkle of top of the potatoes when there is 20 minutes left. Serve hot.