The cheesiest most delicious mashed potatoes. This cheesy mashed potato recipe makes A LOT so be ready to share!
This cheesy mashed potato recipe is very simple to put together, but make sure you have a huge pot to boil and mash the potatoes. This makes a ton, and fills a 9x13-inch pan. Serve it with our favorite Italian meatloaf for Sunday supper!
Why We Love This Recipe
My sister in law makes the best mashed potatoes every time we're together for the holidays. The first year when that side of the family couldn't all be together, I asked her to email me the recipe. These are the gooiest, cheesiest, yummiest mashed potatoes I've ever had.
For more easy recipe inspiration, follow me on Instagram!
Ingredients for Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Below are the ingredients you need to make this mashed potatoes recipe.
- Potatoes - We use yellow (or Yukon gold) potatoes for this recipe for best results, but you can substitute with Russet if needed.
- Garlic - I boil the potatoes with minced garlic which then mashes into them for extra flavor. For convenience, the jarred minced garlic is just fine.
- Cream cheese - You need one block of cream cheese. Set it out so it can get to room temperature.
- Unsalted butter - Grab a stick and melt it in the microwave.
- Egg - Just one large.
- Mozzarella - You'll use a 1 lb block. Three-quarters of it diced small, the other one-quarter shredded.
- Salt and pepper - To taste.
Click here or scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe ingredients and instructions.
How to Make Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the step-by-step on how to make these cheesy potatoes. The general steps are as follows:
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease 9x13 casserole dish.
- Boil potatoes and garlic in a large pot until tender. Drain and return to pot.
- Mash potatoes with either a potato masher or hand mixer.
- Blend in the cream cheese and butter, let slightly cool.
- Add the egg, then stir in the milk.
- Evenly pour half of mixture into prepared pan.
- Cut three-quarters of the mozzarella cheese into small cubes and layer over top the potatoes in the pan.
- Spread the remaining potatoes into the pan.
- Bake 25 minutes, remove from oven.
- Shred the remaining mozzarella and sprinkle evenly over the potatoes.
- Bake an additional 20 minutes.
Top Tips and Tricks
Mozzarella: Keep the mozzarella cheese cold in the fridge until it's time to cube and shred it. It is much easier to cut and shred cold cheese.
Make-ahead: You can bake these potatoes a day or two in advance, then reheat in the oven the day you want to serve. It will take about an hour to heat through. Varies per oven.
Share: This recipe can be divided into two 9x9-inch pans so you can keep one and share one!
Halve: Only serving your small family? It is easy to halve this recipe and make in a smaller casserole dish like a 9x9-inch pan.
Storage and Leftovers
Store: Store any leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Reheat: Reheat cheesy mashed potatoes in the microwave in individual servings, or place the entire amount of leftovers in the oven at 350°F until heated through. (I tend to place the dish in the oven as it preheats.)
Freeze: I do not recommend freezing these cheesy mashed potatoes.
More Potato Recipes
Love potatoes? Check out these delicious easy recipes!
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Lemon Garlic Baby Potatoes
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
Photography by Marie Roffey.
This cheesy mashed potatoes article was originally published December 2011 and updated with new photos and recipe tips in January 2022.
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lbs yellow potatoes (peeled or unpeeled), quartered
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 oz package cream cheese , at room temperature
- ½ cup butter , melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk , warmed
- 1 lb block mozzarella , divided
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9- x 13- inch pan.
- While the oven is preheating, place the potatoes and garlic in a large pot and cover with water. Heat over the stove top until boiling. Boil 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and return to pot.
- Mash the potatoes (either with a potato masher or hand mixer). Blend in the cream cheese and butter, allow to cool for a few minutes then stir in the egg. Once the egg is added, slowly pour in the milk and blend until fully incorporated and the potatoes are a little more liquidy than regular mashed potatoes. Use more milk, if needed, but do not add so much that the milk can no longer be absorbed by the potatoes.
- Spread half of the potatoes evenly into the prepared pan. Cut three-quarters of the Mozzarella into small cubes and sprinkle evenly over the top of the potatoes in the pan. Spread the remaining potatoes into the pan on top of the cubed Mozzarella.
- Bake 25 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the remaining one-quarter of mozzarella. Remove potatoes from oven, sprinkle shredded cheese over top and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to slightly brown. Serve hot.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only.