These fudgy chocolate Lima bean brownies eliminate flour and eggs by using a can of butter beans (lima beans). Warm and right out of the oven, these are perfection with every bite. Plus the beans add a well-rounded source of nutrition with a boost of fiber, protein, iron and more!
You will not believe how good brownies made with lima beans (butter beans) can be! Seriously, people, these brownies are SO fudgy, chocolaty and oh-so-satisfying to your sweet tooth. It's amazing that they're made with beans and NO flour and NO eggs. The texture is perfect and they keep for days for you to graze.
You've seen black bean brownies. I have a recipe I like for them, but it's important to use good chocolate chips when making them or they turn out bitter tasting. These butter bean brownies are a different story. The butter beans have a more creamy and buttery taste than the black beans, which automatically contributes a better flavor.
These are very easy to make when you use your food processor. I just toss all of the ingredients in, except the chocolate chips, process until smooth then stir in the chocolate chips. Spread in the pan and bake. That's it! (You can use your blender if your don't have a food processor.)
Ben and both of our boys loved these. I didn't tell them they were made with Lima beans. I've also served these warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 🙂
Try making them gluten free with your favorite nut butter and GF chocolate chips. If you do, come back and let us know how it turned out!
Chocolate Butter Bean Brownies (Fudgy, Flourless and No Eggs!)
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (reduce or omit if peanut butter is salty)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips , more or less to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 8x8-inch baking pan with non-grease spray. (I recommend Baker's Joy.)
- Place all ingredients, except the chocolate chips, into a food processor or blender. Process until completely smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the chocolate chips and pulse about 5 times.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are just browned and center is still fudgy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before slicing into squares. Serve immediately. Store covered at room temperature for up to 1 week.