These are the BEST Classic Peanut Butter Cookies because they are soft and chewy resulting in a cookie that is irresistible! These old-fashioned cookies with criss-cross tops are SO good with few ingredients and simple steps.
Peanut Butter Cookies have always been a favorite of mine, even since childhood. Although I have a TON of other peanut butter cookie recipes on here, it's a wonder I've never shared a classic peanut butter cookie recipe. I'm talking about the old-fashioned kind with the criss-cross imprint -- it's my favorite!
Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies need to be soft and chewy, not hard and crispy, in my opinion. Some classic peanut butter cookie recipes are great right from the oven, but once they cool they become too crusty. This recipe is the PERFECT soft and chewy peanut butter cookie recipe, with a chewiness that lasts.
How To Make Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- Combine butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Roll dough balls in bowl of sugar. Place on baking sheet.
- With a fork, lightly press a criss-cross imprint into the cookies.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
I love making these cookies with my kids because they enjoy rolling the dough balls in the sugar and pressing the criss-cross patterns with a fork. And, as you can see from the photo below, my kids love to eat what they bake -- and can't seem to wait for me to take the photo. Haha! (I don't blame them!)
Freezer Friendly Peanut Butter Cookies
These Classic Peanut Butter Cookies can be kept in a sealed container for up to 1 week, or you can freeze them to keep them longer. To freeze the baked peanut butter cookies, let them cool to room temperature then place in a freezer bag. To thaw, place on the counter top for about 20 minutes.
Other Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes
Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar plus additional ¼ cup for dusting
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter and sugars. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Place additional ¼ cup sugar in shallow bowl. Roll 1 to 2-inch dough balls in sugar and place on prepared baking sheet. Lightly press criss-cross pattern with a fork. Bake 8-10 minutes.