This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is ready in 30 minutes! A perfect weeknight comfort meal, you will love this easy chicken soup!
Comfort soup at its best, I love serving this easy chicken noodle soup for dinner during the colder months. It is such a simple meal to prepare, and you do not need to serve anything more with it (unless you're hankering for a warm bread roll).
Don't wait until you or someone in your family is sick to enjoy this soup. Although, it definitely is a GREAT easy chicken soup to warm a soul! Plan this into your regular fall and winter meal rotation, because it is that quick and good!
How to make Chicken Noodle Soup
For this easy chicken soup, all you need is chicken broth, carrots, onion, celery, a few spices and a package of egg noodles. You'll quickly saute' the vegetables, pour in the broth and spices, bring to a boil and then cook the noodles. At the end, stir in the shredded chicken to warm it up, season with more salt and pepper, and your soup is ready!
Steps to make homemade chicken noodle soup:
- Heat butter and vegetables in a large pot until just soft.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in noodles and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and heat until warm.
- Season and serve!
This easy chicken noodle soup is a one pot meal! I love using my dutch oven for this recipe (and all of my soup recipes!) My favorite dutch oven is from Marquette Casting in the beautiful "Superior blue" color -- I'm partial as a native Michigander, but it is also holding up much better than my previous Lodge. However, Lodge dutch ovens are also nice affordable options -- I used to have this one.
What to serve with Chicken Noodle Soup
The beauty of chicken noodle soup is you do not have to serve anything with it. I consider chicken noodle soup as a meal in itself. BUT, if you feel like you have to have something else on the side, a simple bread roll will do! Or, fancy it up with homemade rolls like my delicious Lion House dinner rolls, or some yummy cornbread.
Homemade chicken noodle soup also goes well with sandwiches -- maybe try a grilled cheese sandwich or a veggie crescent roll. If you'd like more options, search "sandwiches" or "rolls" on in the search bar above!
How do you add flavor to chicken noodle soup?
The flavors for this easy chicken noodle soup recipe comes from the vegetables and seasonings cooked into it. The overall flavor and amount of salt/pepper you use will also depend on the type of broth you choose. I often like to use my homemade broth, but will just as often use store bought.
If you use low-sodium broth, you will need to add more salt. You can also play around with other spices not included in the basic recipe below -- like thyme, basil, oregano, etc. Add a splash of lemon to bring out the flavors a little more, too! But, wait to add it until the very end.
Can I use frozen chicken for homemade chicken noodle soup?
The chicken called for in this easy chicken soup recipe is already cooked and shredded. Every month I use this method to easily boil and shred chicken for recipes I plan to make. Some of the chicken I use right away, and the rest I freeze in a ziplock bag so its conveniently ready for recipes like this homemade chicken noodle soup.
When you prepare the shredded chicken this way, you are left with a homemade chicken broth/stock. You can immediately use it to make this soup, but strain it first! I typically end up with about 8 cups of homemade broth, so usually need to add more store bought broth to have enough for this recipe. I also sometimes go ahead and make my favorite Chicken 'n Dumplings recipe on the days I prep my shredded chicken.
Tips for making Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- This easy chicken noodle soup recipe does not call for homemade noodles. I like egg noodles from the store just fine, and prefer its convenience over making homemade noodles. However, you can find an easy homemade version here.
- If you desire a brothier soup, you may need to plan for more broth. My recipe below calls for 10 cups, but sometimes I even add more. It will depend on how long you allow your soup to boil and your personal preference. If you do not have additional broth, add water and adjust seasonings to taste.
- The salt level will depend on the type of broth and chicken you use. Keep tasting as you go, but don't burn your tongue!
- I have used the no-yolk egg noodles for this recipe with great results! Cooking times are the same.
- This homemade chicken noodle soup stores great in the fridge for 5-7 days and in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots (about 2-3 medium carrots)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 celery stalks)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 cups chicken broth , more to taste
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken , can use from a rotisserie chicken
- Salt & pepper , to taste
- Heat butter in a large pot or dutch oven. Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook over medium heat for 7 minutes, tossing frequently. Add garlic, cook 1 more minute.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, stir in the noodles and cook uncovered for 10-12 minutes.
- Add chicken and heat until warmed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge for 5-7 days, or freeze for up to 6 months.
Pin this image to save for later.
This post contains affiliate links from Amazon. Thank you for supporting brands I love so I can continue bringing you my favorite recipes!