This "everything" pigs in a blanket recipe is a step up from the classic little smokies snack with a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning.
We are well into tailgating season and mini sausages wrapped in crescent roll dough is one of the easiest appetizer recipes for game-days. These "everything" pigs in a blanket snacks are as easy as the traditional piggies, but loaded with even more flavor from the everything bagel seasoning!
What are Pigs in a Blanket?
It might be a funny name, but "pigs in a blanket" represents the pork sausages (pigs) wrapped in dough (blanket). The "blanket" can be crescent dough, pancake, or puffy pastry. We've even made a dinner sized version with hot dogs and pretzel dough!
Ingredients and Instructions
(full printable recipe at end of post)
With just a few ingredients, you can whip up this easy appetizer in minutes! The key ingredient is the everything bagel spice!
Here's What You Need
- Refrigerated crescent roll dough -- Of course we all know the Pillsbury brand, but generic store brand works here, too! Make sure you buy the tube that separate into triangles, and not the sheet pan dough.
- Sausages or beef franks -- I typically buy a package of the lil' smokies cocktail sausages, and always end up with leftover mini sausages. You can also use hot dogs and cut them up into thirds.
- Bagel seasoning - Trader Joe made this popular years ago, and now you can get this bagel seasoning blend in most every spice aisle.
- Egg -- This is only for the egg wash. You can omit, and use melted butter, olive oil, or just water.
Here's How To Make Them
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Open tube of crescent dough and separate into triangles from the perforated seams.
- With a sharp knife, slice each triangle vertically into three skinny strips.
- Roll one sausage into each triangle from skinny side to wide side.
- Place onto baking sheet, seam side down.
- Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with bagel seasoning.
- Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown.
You can serve these alone, or with dipping sauce like ketchup, barbecue sauce or a honey mustard dip.
Everything Bagel Seasoning
Everything bagel seasoning is a blend of garlic, onion, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, salt, and more. If you do not have everything bagel seasoning on hand and cannot run to the store, you may be able to create it at home if you have a well-stocked spice cabinet. Click here for a thorough explanation of how to make your own bagel seasoning blend.
Make Ahead Instructions
You can easily make these piggies ahead of time. Just complete all the steps then let cool to room temperature. Store in the freezer for up to 1 month. I recommend reheating in the oven or toaster oven for the freshest taste, because they can be a little soggy in the microwave.
Store leftover pigs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. These are a great option for your kids school lunches! Just pop a few into their lunchbox because they still taste good cold or at room temperature. As stated above, you can freeze leftovers, too.
More Crescent Dough Recipes
- Chicken Pot Pie Crescent Ring
- Easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Baked Italian Sandwiches
- Creamy Chicken Pockets
- Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Rolls
Made this recipe?
Leave a star rating and tag me on Instagram @seededtable so I can see. I love hearing from you!
Everything Pigs in a Blanket
- 8 oz. tube refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 12 oz. little smokies cocktail sausages or mini beef franks
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- 1 egg , mixed with 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner.
- Open tube of crescent dough and separate triangles onto a large cutting board. Slice each triangle vertically into three long triangles.
- Working with one sausage at a time, roll sausage from thinner side of triangle up to the wider end. Place on baking sheet seam side down. Repeat with remaining sausages.
- Brush top of each roll with egg wash, then sprinkle with desired amount of bagel seasoning. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only and may vary.
Leave a Reply