This chocolate brownie pudding trifle has layers of fudgy brownies, chocolate mousse, toffee and whipped cream for a dessert everyone will be craving.
Death by Chocolate can mean so many things. For me, it always means tall layers of cakey chocolate brownies, decadent chocolate mousse, toffee pieces and whipped cream just waiting for me to dig into it. This has been and always will be one of my favorite desserts for a few reasons. 1) It is very simple to make; 2) It beholds a lovely presentation; 3) It serves a crowd; and 4) It is full of yummy chocolate goodness.
In the past I always made this with instant mousse. But, here in my new hometown, I searched high and low in our grocery stores for instant mousse and could not find it. Reluctantly, I resorted to using instant chocolate pudding instead, yet I was very pleased with the results. Of course, I could always use my favorite homemade mousse which might put this dessert over the top. But, to keep it quick in preparation, I think I’ll stick with the instant versions.
This recipe is one of the first that graced its presence here back in February of 2007. I can’t believe it’s been over 4 years. Those of you that have been with me from the beginning, thank you! I like digging out these older recipes and giving them a little facelift with a new picture and better voice. This one really needed updating as I embarrassingly described it as a “truffle” rather than a “trifle.” Yes, I’ve come a long way in my food blogging journey. 🙂
What does “Death by Chocolate” mean to you?
Try these other favorite layered desserts:
Death by Chocolate Trifle
- 1 large package instant chocolate mousse or instant chocolate pudding
- 1 1/3 - 2 cups cold milk (1 1/2 for mousse, 2 for pudding)
- 13- x9-inch pan of fudge brownies , cooled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 package Heath toffee bits or 2 chocolate toffee candy bars , crushed into bits
- 16 ounces whipped cream
- Prepare mousse or pudding according to package directions with the above listed amount of cold milk; set aside. Place about half of the brownie bites on the bottom of the trifle bowl, in a single layer. Evenly pour half of the pudding/mousse on top of the brownies in the trifle bowl. Layer with half of the whipped cream, then half of the toffee bits. Repeat layers one more time. Chill for 4 hours before serving.
- Source: Highland Hills Baptist Church Cookbook