Use a frozen bag of DOLE® Wildly Nutritious Mixed Berries for this buttermilk cake, and you don’t even have to wait for them to thaw first! For extra enjoyment, serve with a side of vanilla bean ice cream.
Many of you know from photos that recently I was in California with DOLE® Packaged Foods where they educated a team of bloggers about their products and how we can incorporate them into our everyday meal plans. Before this trip, I was already an enthusiastic consumer of DOLE and used their canned pineapple, juice, frozen fruits, etc. in my kitchen. But, after learning how DOLE is never genetically modified and about their commitment to being a leader in nutrition, education and research, I can truthfully say I’m one of their #1 fans!
I will post more about my trip later next week, but today I want to share with you one of the many delicious recipes we were served by the DOLE Wellness Kitchen. I modified it slightly when making it at home this week. The original is a Dark Cherry Buttermilk Cake, which I thoroughly enjoyed tasting in California, but I decided to test it out in my own kitchen with DOLE’s frozen mixed berries.
GREAT choice, I must say. Just look at its beauty! Ben came home from work, found the cake on the counter and grabbed a fork right away. He didn’t stop eating it, so I had to remove it from his sight before he spoiled his dinner!
Simple and gorgeous, this cake is a perfect choice for a quick dessert option when you find yourself in a pinch. Just make sure you have DOLE frozen fruit stored in your freezer. You don’t even have to think ahead of time about taking them out to thaw, because they go on the batter frozen!
This is not a paid promotion. DOLE invited me to their headquarters to help me share my enthusiasm for their products. DOLE paid for my all-inclusive trip, but all opinions are my own.
Mixed Berries Buttermilk Cake
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , slightly softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar , divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1 bag (12 oz.) DOLE® Frozen Wildly Nutritious Mixed Berries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and 1/2 cup of sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg, then the vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Gradually pour in the buttermilk and stir until incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- Spread batter evenly into the greased cake pan. Open the bag of frozen fruit and evenly arrange over top the batter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.** Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto a platter. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream.
- Recipe Source: DOLE® Wellness Kitchen