Actually, I just want to know if you call them Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow. I do both. Haven’t been able to make up my mind for 15 years!
Tomorrow, I’m surprising you with a little bit of a twist of these for the holiday season. Can you guess what it is? Come back in 24 hours to find out!
And, just a warning. You will be seeing a lot of sweets in the next few weeks. You can blame that on two reasons: 1) It’s the Christmas season, and 2) I’m pregnant. 😉
Need more sweets today? Head on over to Confessions of a Cookbook Queen where I’m guest posting my favorite peanut butter fudge recipe. While you’re there, tell Kristan “hello” and “congratulations” on her sweet baby girl, Lucy!
See you tomorrow!
Muddy Buddies | Puppy Chow
- 9 cups Rice or Corn Chex cereal (or a combination of both)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Measure the cereal into a very large bowl; set aside.
- Using a 1-quart microwavable bowl, melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter (uncovered) for 1 minute. Carefully remove from the microwave and stir. If more time is needed, microwave for another 30 seconds and stir until smooth. Remove from the microwave and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal. Use a large wooden spoon to gently mix the cereal so it is evenly coated with the chocolate.
- Line a large sheet or two of wax paper on a counter or table top. Transfer half of the chocolate coated cereal into a 1-gallon plastic zipper bag. Pour in 3/4 cup of the powdered sugar. Seal the bag, allowing air to remain, and shake to coat the cereal. Spread on the wax paper to cool. Repeat with the remaining cereal and powdered sugar, using the same bag.
- Once completely cooled, store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator (or just eat it!) 🙂
- Source: Adapted from Chex