A Christmas holiday version of your favorite chocolaty Chex mix, this Peppermint Mocha Muddy Buddies snack has a hint of espresso and peppermint crunch!
Is it Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow?
Yesterday, I found out via various social media channels and your blog comments that the true name for this snack is…. Puppy Chow… errr….I mean, Muddy Buddies! Wait! You couldn’t make my mind up for me, either! It seems there is an equal amount of you that calls this popular Chex mix by both their names. The saga continues… 😉
I told you I’d be back today with a holiday variation of our traditional Muddy Buddies. There’s nothing tricky here. A little bit of coffee flavor and peppermint crunch transforms these into a fun Christmas snack in case you’re getting bored with the original Muddy Buddies. Me? I like the original the most, but that’s only because I’ve never been the biggest fan of peppermint and chocolate paired together. But, I make exceptions, and this is one of them. (Along with Trader Joe’s Candy Cane Joe Joe’s that I may or may not have stocked up on while we were in Chicago last week.)
How do you make Muddy Buddies (or Puppy Chow)?
- Measure the Chex cereal into a LARGE bowl.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave and mix with the peppermint and espresso.
- Pour over the Chex cereal and mix.
- Coat with the powdered sugar and sprinkle in the peppermint candy.
Peppermint Mocha Muddy Buddies | Puppy Chow
- 9 cups Rice or Corn Chex cereal (or a combination of both)
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips (or chopped candy canes)
- Measure the cereal into a very large bowl; set aside.
- Using a 1-quart microwavable bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butter (uncovered) for 1 minute. Carefully remove from the microwave and stir. If more time is needed, microwave for another 30 seconds and stir until smooth. Remove from the microwave and carefully stir in the peppermint extract and then the espresso powder.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal. Use a large wooden spoon to gently mix the cereal so it is evenly coated with the chocolate.
- Line a large sheet or two of wax paper on a counter or table top. Transfer half of the chocolate coated cereal into a 1-gallon plastic zipper bag. Pour in 3/4 cup of the powdered sugar and half of the peppermint crunch baking chips. Seal the bag, allowing air to remain, and shake to coat the cereal. Spread on the wax paper to cool. Repeat with the remaining cereal, powdered sugar and baking chips using the same bag.
- Once completely cooled, store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator (or just eat it!) 🙂