Serve this homemade Multi Colored Tomato Sauce over top pasta, mushrooms appetizer or any other Spanish or Italian dish.
Forgive me. I lied. This was supposed to be posted yesterday, as promised. Well, I guess I didn’t lie, I just didn’t follow through. Yesterday ended up busy, so busy got in the way. 🙂
This is the sauce I served with the Feta Stuffed Mushrooms. I love tomatoes, so pairing this with the mushrooms was right up my alley. Using multi-colored tomatoes enhanced the flavor and made for a beautiful display. But, remember, if you don’t like tomatoes, the mushrooms are just as delectable without!
The great thing about this is you can make it ahead of time and reheat on the stovetop in a few short minutes the day of your party. Just wait to add the balsamic and basil until just before serving.
Multi-Colored Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced or crushed
- 16 oz package multi-colored grape or heirloom tomatoes sliced in half or quartered depending on size (I found mine at Trader Joe's)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Cook garlic, stirring 1-2 minutes until softened, but not burned. Add tomatoes, then cover and cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes soften but still hold their shape.
- Remove pan from heat, splash with vinegar and stir in hand shredded basil leaves. Serve on top of the baked Feta Stuffed Mushrooms.