This easy peanut butter pie is the only peanut butter pie recipe you need! A creamy dreamy no-bake pie with a graham cracker crust for the perfect holiday dessert!
If you're looking for a pie recipe that doesn't use the oven, this no-bake peanut butter pie is IT! This is our third or fourth year serving this peanut butter pie, so you know it's tried and true. It's a smooth creamy pie with a whipped cream topping. Pie at it's best!
Graham cracker crust
I absolutely LOVE peanut butter pie with a graham cracker crust. You can use my recipe for a homemade graham cracker crust, or pick up a store-bought one. I highly recommend my homemade version, though, because it's much thicker than a store-bought AND it so super easy that you really have no excuse not to make it homemade. Plus, you can use a much prettier pie plate than the foil.
For this peanut butter pie recipe, you can opt to bake the homemade graham cracker crust, or just leave it unbaked and refrigerate it for an hour or two before filling it. If using store-bought crust, don't bake the crust or refrigerate it. It's ready to go.
How to store peanut butter pie
Peanut butter pie needs to be refrigerated, because it includes whipped cream and cream cheese. It will last 3-4 days in the fridge (but probably much less because everyone will eat it right up!) You can also freeze no-bake peanut butter pie. This is what I do for the holidays, so that I can make it a week before then thaw in the fridge the night before. Or, you can serve it frozen but it will change the texture -- more like ice cream! And, it's harder to slice from frozen, so I would suggest thawing at least a little first.
How to make peanut butter pie
This peanut butter pie recipe is so easy because it uses only 4 ingredients for the filling. To make no bake peanut butter pie, follow these simple steps:
- Combine 8 oz. cream cheese with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 3/4 cup peanut butter until smooth.
- Stir in 8 oz. Cool Whip then pour into graham cracker crust.
- Top with another 8 oz. Cool Whip and garnish with chopped peanut butter cups.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before slicing.
Yes, this peanut butter pie uses Cool Whip (or any other frozen whipped topping). But, you can make your own homemade whipped topping if you prefer. It isn't hard!
How do you make Cool Whip?
To make a homemade whipped topping (like Cool Whip) all you need to do is whip together heavy cream and sugar. I use my stand mixer whisk attachment. Beat until it's thick and fluffy. Be careful not to over mix it!
I typically use Cool Whip for this recipe, but every once in a while I do like to make my own. It's really up to you and how much time you have! Although, it only takes a few minutes to make it homemade.
Other delicious pie recipes:
My peanut butter pie is currently in our freezer ready for me to take out the night before Thanksgiving! I can't wait!
This recipe was originally published November 2019.
Peanut Butter Pie
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, peanut butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in half of the Cool Whip. Spread into the prepared pie plate.
- Top with the remaining Cool Whip and sprinkle chopped peanut butter cups over top. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Keeps in the fridge up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Serve thawed or frozen.
- This pie is best made in a large deep dish pie plate, using my recipe for homemade graham cracker crust.
- If using a 9-inch store bought crust, you may consider dividing the filling into two pies instead.
- Serve frozen or refrigerated.
- Nutrition information is an estimation only.