This easy pumpkin pie recipe is better than Libby's pumpkin pie and just as simple! The refrigerated pie crust doesn't need to be pre-baked which means this pie comes together very quickly!
If you're reading this post, that means you either like pumpkin pie, or you know someone who does and need a recipe for it. Sure, you can find an easy pumpkin pie recipe on the can of Libby's pumpkin puree, but trust me when I tell you that THIS pumpkin pie recipe is much better.
Why is this pumpkin pie recipe better than Libby's? Because this pumpkin pie has more flavor. We have heavy cream, lots of pumpkin pie spice, and dark brown sugar to add a depth of sweetness that isn't overpowering but caramelizes the taste. It's incredible.
How do you make pie crust for pumpkin pie?
If you want to make your pumpkin pie completely from scratch, including the crust, you can find that recipe in my older archives by clicking here. But, the "from scratch" pumpkin pie recipe is very laborious and dirties a thousand bowls. This recipe? Not at all. It's easy and requires just a saucepan and bowl.
This easy pumpkin pie recipe calls for a pre-made refrigerated pie crust that you can find in any grocery store. Make sure you read the directions on the package to thaw and come to room temperature. Then, line a 9-inch pie plate with the unbaked crust. Next, you cook the filling ingredients together and pour into the pie crust. No need to bake the crust first!
I love fluting the edges of my pie crusts. It's really easy to do using just your fingers. Maybe someday I'll post a "how-to" but for now I'll tell you to do a YouTube search of "how to flute pie crust" and you can find a video to teach you. Trust me, it's worth the 2 minutes of your time to learn because it makes your pie that much prettier!
The Best Pumpkin for Pie
For pumpkin pie, you can use your favorite brand pumpkin puree. I opt for the cheaper generic store brands (like Kroger and Great Value) and have been fine with the results. No need to spend more money on the more well-known brands!
There is a difference between pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling. Do not buy the canned "pumpkin PIE FILLING". This is not the same as pure pumpkin puree. Pumpkin pie filling is pumpkin puree made WITH other sweeteners and spices.
Pumpkin Pie Ingredients
This recipe does not call for evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk. Instead we are cooking heavy cream and milk with the pumpkin and sugar, then combining with the eggs. This step is not very hard. In fact, it's very quick and simple, and takes only about 5 to 10 minutes!
Do you top your pumpkin pie with whipped cream? We do! It's not pictured, but I always have a tub of Cool Whip on hand during the holidays because there's inevitably some pie that needs a dollop! Ben tops with a double dollop. 🙂
Easy Pumpkin Pie
- 1 unbaked refrigerated pie crust , thawed according to package directions
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 9-inch pie plate with refrigerated pie crust; set side.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, spice and salt. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until thick and shiny, stirring constantly. Whisk in the heavy cream and milk, bring to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs virgorously together, then slowly add the pumpkin mixture to eggs while constantly whisking. Pour mixture into pie plate.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until edges are cracked and filling is puffed and dry looking. Cool on wire rack for at least one hour.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired.
- For a prettier presentation, try fluting the edges of the crust with your fingers before filling. You can find YouTube videos to teach you, it's easy!