This cheesy sausage breakfast casserole is picked up a notch with southern pimento cheese and a flaky crust of refrigerated crescent dough.
Vacation Bible School (VBS) is at my church next week. The theme is “Wildwood Forest: Discover the Untamed Nature of God” and I’ve volunteered to help with the crafts. I’m excited as this will be my first time being a part of VBS (well, since childhood when I was one of the kids attending!) and I can’t wait to see Judah having the time of his life learning about God through games, songs, drama and art.
Have you served in your church’s VBS program? Have any tips for me? It’s a morning program, about four hours long Monday through Friday. Should I bring myself a snack to stay energized? Maybe drink an extra cup of coffee before going? Will I have time to pee? Haha! All the important questions… 😉
I’ll definitely wear my tennis shoes and eat a good breakfast. Speaking of breakfast, you know where I’m going with this…
…this breakfast casserole! The other day, I found myself staring into the refrigerator, trying to figure out what to make for dinner. It was near the end of the month where the pantry is starting to slim down and we had already eaten through our meal plan and leftovers. I didn’t want to go to the grocery store.
Lucky for me, I found a pound of breakfast sausage and all the fixins I needed to make my homemade pimento cheese recipe. We always have eggs and refrigerated crescent dough on hand, so putting all of these items together was the perfect solution to “breakfast for dinner” that night!
We loved this breakfast casserole and I know you will, too! If you don’t like sausage, try using chopped cooked bacon instead because pimento cheese and bacon go together like PB&J. I would’ve used bacon if I had it on hand, but the breakfast sausage was really good!
Have a seat and enjoy!
Pimento Cheese Breakfast Bake
- 1 (8 oz.) package refrigerated crescent dough
- 1 lb breakfast sausage , cooked, crumbled and drained
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 oz . block monterey jack cheese , shredded
- 4 oz . block extra sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 (4 oz.) jar diced pimentos, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Press the crescent dough into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish; set aside. Layer the cooked sausage over the crescent dough.
- In a medium bowl, lightly whip the eggs with a whisk. Whisk in the seasonings, worcestershire, and hot sauce. Stir in the cheese and pimentos. Pour egg batter evenly over the sausage in the pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until set. Serve warm.