Grab a fork or use your fingers for this one! These cakey bars can go either way, but just a warning, you won't want only one, especially if you eat them WARM. I loved the pumpkin chocolate combination and shared them with a group of friends last weekend who also gave them a big thumbs up.
I'm super glad to add these to my Fall and holiday recipe collection, as a little twist on my usual pumpkin bars. No cream cheese frosting needed!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined. Stir in the vanilla and pumpkin puree and mix until fully combined. Do not worry if the mixture is somewhat curdled at this point. This is normal.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Gradually add to the wet ingredients while mixing on low speed until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until passes the toothpick test. Remove from oven and completely cool in the pan before cutting and serving.