Try our favorite pumpkin cut-out sugar cookies for Halloween and the fall season! These hold their shape and are perfect for icing and sprinkles.
Halloween is almost here but you still have time to whip up the dough for these pumpkin cut-out sugar cookies. These soft cookies have the warm pumpkin spices and are a treat for kids and adults alike! Similar to my favorite Christmas cut-out cookie recipe, these hold their shape when baked and are fun to decorate with icing and sprinkles.
📋 Grocery List
You more than likely have everything you need for these pumpkin sugar cookies. Simple ingredients for a simple recipe.
Gather these ingredients:
- Flour (3 cups)
- Baking powder (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- Unsalted butter (1 cup)
- Sugar (1 cup)
- Brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- Pumpkin puree (3/4 cup)
- Egg (1 large)
- Vanilla extract (2 teaspoons)
- Pumpkin pie spice (1 teaspoon)
- Icing and sprinkles for decorating
You can use a homemade icing recipe or store-bought frosting to decorate these cookies. Have fun with sprinkles, candy eyes, or other edible decorations!
📖 How to Make Pumpkin Cut-Out Cookies
To make these cut-out cookies, you will want to first chill the dough so it's easier to roll out. Pick a place with plenty of room and use lots of flour so it doesn't stick to the counter top. Flip the dough over once or twice as you roll it out and sprinkle more flour on top and bottom. Be careful -- don't roll the dough thinner than 1/4 inch!
Use a spatula with a slanted blade to transfer the cut-outs to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Depending on the size of your cookies, baking time is 10 to 12 minutes at 350°F. You know they are done when you see the edges starting to brown.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
👩🏽🍳 Icing Recipe for Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
If you want to use homemade frosting to decorate your cookies, try this easy icing recipe:
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- food coloring, optional
- Beat all ingredients (with 4 tablespoon milk), except food coloring, until smooth.
- Add additional tablespoons of milk until reaches spreadable consistency.
- Mix with food coloring as desired.
🍪 More Sugar Cookie Recipes
- The Best Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Hearts with Royal Icing
- Rice Krispies Sugar Cookies
- Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookie Bars
- Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
Pumpkin Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
For the cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin puree, then beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin spice. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir until fully incorporated. Cover and chill the dough for at least an hour.
- Divide dough in half and shape each into a disc. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Remove one chilled dough disc from fridge. On a large clean surface, roll dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out shapes with cookie cutter and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are just starting to brown. Remove from oven, let cool 8 minutes on cookie sheet then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Decorate as desired with preferred icing and sprinkles.
- Nutrition information is an estimation only based on a yield of 24 cookies and without icing or sprinkles.
- Dough can be chilled up to 3 days.