Try a slice of our Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispies Treats. An EASY and QUICK recipe and a kid-favorite Thanksgiving dessert!
Last week at Disney, I ate a lot of food around all four parks as well as Disney Springs, and one goody that caught my attention was this pumpkin pie rice krispies treat. It was at Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary hotel and Goofy's Candy Company. Finally, on our last morning I decided to buy a slice at The Confectionary in Magic Kingdom, not thinking I'd love it as much as I did! Immediately after returning home I decided to come up with a copycat recipe, and I think it's just as good as Disney's if not better!
After quick research, I found that Kelly from Just a Taste already did most of the legwork for me! A few years ago she posted a recipe for pumpkin pie rice krispies treats and I bet Disney found it from her. I used her recipe with a few tweaks to ensure my krispie treats were ooey gooey (I cannot stand a dry krispie treat!) and then added a dollop of frosting with sprinkles to each slice. I really LOVE the results!
📋 Grocery List
You've probably made standard rice krispies treats many times, right? This pumpkin pie rice krispies treats recipe uses the same ingredients with the addition of pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and butter.
Gather these ingredients:
- Unsalted butter (5 tablespoons)
- Marshmallows (12 oz. bag regular sized)
- Rice Krispies cereal (7 cups)
- Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- Pumpkin pie spice (or use my homemade version)
- Orange food coloring (or red and yellow)
- Tub of white frosting (optional)
- Fall themed sprinkles (optional)
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
👩🏽🍳 Instructions for the Crust
The "crust" for this pumpkin pie is your standard marshmallow treats shaped into the edges of a round cake pan.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter and marshmallows in large saucepan.
- Stir in vanilla and cereal.
- Press into the outer edges of the cake pan to form a 1-inch crust.
👩🏽🍳 Instructions for the Filling
For the filling, we are making another batch of rice krispies treats but adding spices and food coloring to mimic a classic pumpkin pie!
- Melt the butter and marshmallows in a large saucepan.
- Stir in the vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and cereal.
- Press into the middle of the cake pan. Use wax paper to help.
Once the pie is cooled, invert onto a cutting board and slice into eight wedges. Top each slice with a dollop of frosting and sprinkles.
💭 Why Did My Rice Krispies Treats Turn Out Hard?
No one likes dry and hard rice krispies treats. Follow these tips to ensure yours are ooey and gooey like we love!
- Melt the marshmallows over low heat. It takes some patience, but a higher heat will risk overcooking the marshmallows.
- Remove pan from heat. When it's time to stir in the cereal, remove the pan from the heat to avoid overcooking.
- Do not over mix the cereal. Gently stir the cereal into the melted marshmallows until JUST evenly coated.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
📖 More Recipes Using Rice Krispies Cereal
- Rice Krispies Sugar Cookies
- Cake Batter Rice Krispies Treat
- Banana Blueberry Yogurt Parfait
- Chocolate Covered Krispie Poppers
Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispies Treats
- 9-inch round cake pan
- large sauce pan
- star tip for icing
For the crust:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 20 marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
For the filling:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 30 marshmallows
- orange food coloring , or a combination of red and yellow to create orange
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- tub of white frosting
- decorative fall sprinkles (optional)
For the crust:
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and cook over low heat until completely melted, stirring frequently. Stir in the vanilla and cereal until evenly coated. Do not over mix.
- Press marshmallow mixture into the edges of the cake pan to form a 1-inch crust. (Use wax paper to help press without sticking. The more the cereal cools, the less sticky and easier to press.) Set aside and let cool while making the filling.
For the filling:
- Clean out the large saucepan to use for the filling.
- Melt butter in the saucepan over low heat. Stir in the pumpkin pie spice. Add the marshmallows and cook over low heat until completely melted, stirring frequently. Stir in the vanilla and cereal until evenly coated. Do not over mix.
- Press the marshmallow mixture into the middle of the cake pan up to the crust to form the filling. (You might not need all of the filling.) Let cool, then invert onto serving platter or cutting board.
- Slice into pie wedges and top with frosting using a star piping tip and sprinkles (optional).
- Store tightly covered for up to 5 days.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only not including frosting and sprinkles.