These cookie bars have red white and blue M&M's studded throughout for a patriotic M&M cookie recipe! Everyone loves these soft chewy American cookies!
Similar to my favorite chocolate chip M&M cookies, I make these festive M&M cookie bars quite often. It's easy to use different colors of M&M's to fit the theme of the occasion. Sometimes it's hard for me to find the red white and blue M&M's at regular grocery stores, even in peak patriotic season. But, I can typically count on the big tub of them at Sam's Club this time of year!
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
M&M Cookie Recipe
Because these are cookie bars, it is really easy to mix everything in just one bowl then press into a pan. Gather these ingredients:
Grocery List for M&M Cookie Bars
- Red, white and blue M&M's (2 ½ cups)
- All-purpose flour (3 cups)
- Unsalted butter (1 cup)
- Eggs (3 large)
- Brown sugar (1 ½ cups)
- Granulated sugar (½ cup)
- Vanilla (2 teaspoons)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
Since this cookie dough is pressed into a sheet pan, it is very easy to change up the amount of sugar because you're not relying on the outcome of the shape of the cookie. If you like crispier cookies, use more granulated sugar and less brown sugar. Use less sugar all together if you like, and just two eggs. I like my cookie bars doughy and chewy, so this is the perfect combination for me.
How to make M&M Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease rimmed baking sheet. (I use Baker's Joy.)
- In a mixing bowl, mix butter and sugars. Add vanilla and eggs.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold in M&M's.
- Spread dough into baking sheet, sprinkle with more M&M's.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until golden.
Click here for the full M&M cookie recipe ingredients and instructions.
How to know when the cookie bars are done.
For this recipe, I typically use my 12x17-inch sheet pan. But, every home cook has a different sized sheet pan in their home. I do not recommend jelly roll pan size which is 15x10. It's too small -- barely! Because the rimmed edges are short it will ooze out and spill during baking. You can, however, use a 9x13-inch baking dish that has the higher edges.
I take my cookie bars out of the oven when they are lightly golden, but if you don't want them as doughy in the middle then you may want to bake longer until they are a darker golden exterior. If you are using a larger sheet pan, then less baking time may be required. The good thing is, these are hard to mess up so don't worry!
Other delicious cookie bars
- Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookie Bars
- Roasted Marshmallow M&M Cookie Bars
- S'mores Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars
- Magic Cookie Bars
Print this red white and blue M&M cookie bar recipe to save for later. Made this recipe? Leave a star rating and tag me on social media @seededtable so I can see. I love hearing from you!
Red White and Blue M&M Cookie Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups red, white and blue M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease large rimmed baking sheet (17x12-inch) with nonstick spray. (I use Baker's Joy.)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (about 1 minute). Beat in the vanilla and eggs. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold in 2 cups of the M&M's.
- Using a large rubber spatula, spread dough evenly into baking sheet. The dough may be thin if using a very large sheet pan, but will puff and close holes during baking. Sprinkle additional ½ cup of M&M's over top and lightly press into the dough.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes*, until baked to desired doneness and edges are golden. Do not over bake. Let cool.
- To serve, cut into squares with a plastic knife.