A "mangover" to traditional spaghetti, this broccoli and bacon spaghetti is tossed with a delicious and easy brown butter sauce with a fruity mango twist!
I always love pasta and veggies together, but what about pasta and fruit? Broccoli and bacon spaghetti with mango brown butter sauce is a fruity twist of traditional spaghetti and super delicious! The brown butter sauce flavored with mango is such a great compliment to the broccoli and salty bacon. This easy dinner recipe will be your new favorite!
"Bacon, Broccoli, Brown Butter"... That's a whole lot of delicious B-words!
Anyway, adding mango to your pasta dish probably isn't something you'd naturally think to do. I took the opportunity to modernize (or "mangover") the typical tomato sauce smothered spaghetti and lighten it up for the summer. That is, if you live in opposite world and think that butter and bacon lightens up a recipe. Gather these ingredients:
Grocery list for Broccoli and Bacon Spaghetti with Mango Brown Butter Sauce
- Broccoli (1 small head)
- Mango (1 large)
- Dry spaghetti (4 oz.)
- Bacon (6 slices uncooked)
- Unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- Parmesan cheese (1 tablespoon)
- Brown sugar (2 teaspoons)
This recipe is very forgiving so you can use more or less of each ingredient.
Quick Weeknight Dinner
It may seem like a tedious recipe at the surface, but this does come together quickly for a weeknight meal. I threw this together while the boys were at the pool and even had time to snatch photos before they got back. I was waiting for them to return for dinner because it was ready so fast.
You do need 3 pans for this recipe and a blender. To make broccoli and bacon spaghetti with mango brown butter sauce, follow these steps:
- Cook the bacon. Remove from pan.
- Steam broccoli in same pan with bacon grease.
- Boil pasta, drain, add to pan with broccoli.
- Brown the butter in separate skillet.
- Puree brown butter in blender with mango, cheese and brown sugar.
- Toss the mango sauce with the pasta and broccoli.
- Sprinkle with the bacon.
Click here for the full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Brown butter sauce
Brown butter is simply butter that is cooked until browned and nutty. It adds a richness to the butter and is sometimes used to enhance cookie flavors or other recipes.
If you've never worked with brown butter before, do not be intimidated. It only requires melting a stick of butter in a skillet until it is brown and nutty in aroma... just about 6 to 7 minutes of cooking. That's it! Nothing fancy schmancy nor difficult at all.
How to peel and cut mango
It really is very easy to peel and dice a mango. There is a flat pit in the center, so you need to cut around it. I have an entire post with step-by-step photos on how to cut a mango. Click here to read through it.
Other mango recipes
- Brussels Sprouts with Mango and Bacon
- Brisket Quesadillas with Mango Barbecue Sauce
- Avocado and Mango Salsa
- Pineapple Mango Salsa
Broccoli and Bacon Spaghetti with Mango Brown Butter Sauce
- 8 slices bacon , cut into small pieces
- 1 head broccoli , washed, dried and chopped into small florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large mango peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces dry spaghetti
- Additional salt & pepper , to taste
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Discard bacon fat, reserving about 3 tablespoons in the skillet.
- Add the broccoli and water to the skillet. Cover and steam for 5-6 minutes.
- While the broccoli is steaming, melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Continue cooking, without stirring, for 6 to 7 more minutes, until the butter is lightly browned and gives off a nutty aroma. Transfer to a blender with the mango, brown sugar, Parmesan and salt. Process until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, boil the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and toss into the skillet with the broccoli. Pour the brown butter mango sauce over top and toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon pieces. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
- Nutritional information is an estimate only.
- Serve with additional shaved Parmesan on top, if desired.
- This recipe can be doubled.
This recipe was originally published June 24, 2014 and updated June 8, 2020.