This soft pretzel bites recipe is SO easy you won't believe it! Using canned biscuits, these quickly come together in 15 minutes.
Every fall, I get in the mood to make soft pretzels. Sometimes I do not have time to wait for the rising of my favorite homemade recipe. It's those moments that I rely on a tube of canned biscuit dough, like Pillsbury Grands.
Did you know you can make soft pretzels from refrigerated canned biscuits? Crazy right??
Gather these ingredients:
- Refrigerated biscuits (1 8ct. can)
- Baking soda
- Egg (1)
- Coarse salt
I prefer using a coarse pretzel salt. If you can't find any in your store, I have a secret tip for you. Buy the frozen soft pretzels at your grocery store (the 6 ct. box is cheap at Walmart!) and save the bag of pretzel salt that is provided. I've done this several times!
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
How to Make Soft Pretzel Bites from Canned Biscuits
Can you believe you can make soft pretzels from refrigerated canned biscuits? The steps are very simple.
- Separate the biscuits from the can.
- Roll each biscuit into a rope.
- Cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Mix baking soda into pot of boiling water.
- Boil dough bites in batches for a few seconds on each side.
- Place onto baking sheet and brush with egg wash then sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400°F.
Even though we're starting with refrigerated biscuit dough, the final result is very pretzel tasting because of the baking soda bath process. Do not skip this step because this is what differentiates a soft pretzel from just a bread stick!
Toppings for Soft Pretzel Bites
Salty pretzels are my favorite, but we also love other toppings with this recipe.
For a sweet version, instead of sprinkling with salt, try brushing with melted butter and sprinkling with cinnamon sugar right AFTER they come out of the oven. SOOOO good!
For a spicy version, sprinkle with your favorite spicy seasonings and maybe top with sliced pickled jalapenos before baking. I haven't tried this yet, but I am REALLY wanting to!
For a cheesy version, sprinkle with grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese after the egg wash and before baking.
More Soft Pretzel Recipes
- Soft Pretzel Rolls
- Oktoberfest Burger with Pretzel Bun
- Pretzel Dogs
- Ham & Cheese Soft Pretzel Sliders
- Soft Pretzel Bread Bowls
- Pepperoni Pretzel Bread Stromboli
Super Easy Soft Pretzel Bites
- 1 can refrigerated biscuit dough (8 ct.)
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 1 egg , plus 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate biscuits and roll each into a small rope. Cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, carefully stir in baking soda.
- Working in batches, drop dough balls into baking soda bath and boil 15 seconds on each side. Use a slotted spoon to transfer dough balls to baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush egg wash over each dough ball and immediately sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 15 minutes, until golden. Some will be darker than others.
- Pretzel bites are best the day made, but will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- For another variation, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar right after removing from oven.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only.