Birthday Cake Pancakes

Birthday Cake Pancakes 2After today, I have no doubt that you now want to be my real-life friend or relative, because I plan on making these pancakes for anyone who is at my house the morning of their birthday.  For reals.  Honestly, though, they are so good that I know I won’t wait to make them only for birthdays.  They will definitely grace our breakfast table to impress any visitor, or for a normal Gladd family-of-three brunch.

Confession: I’ve made them twice in one week already.  And, there are more in my freezer, ready for a quick nuke in the microwave.

Birthday Cake Pancakes 3Another confession: I totally sliced mine like cake.

These are made with a decadent base of buttermilk pancake batter, blended with yellow cake mix then, of course, some sprinkles thrown in.  So much fun! They turn out fluffy with each bite showcasing a vibrant display of sprinkles!

Please come over on your birthday so I can make some for you!  :)

Birthday Cake Pancakes 4

Birthday Cake Pancakes

Yield: 6-8 servings

Serving Size: 2 pancakes

Birthday Cake Pancakes

You don't even have to wait until your birthday to enjoy birthday cake for breakfast!

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup yellow cake mix (homemade or the box kind)
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup (1.75 oz bottle) sprinkles
  • For the icing (optional):
  • Whipping cream
  • Powdered sugar

Heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cake mix, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt; set aside.

In a separate medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a whisk. Add the milks, butter and vanilla and whisk to combine. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until fully mixed. Fold in the sprinkles.

Scoop portions of a scant 1/3 cup batter onto the griddle, leaving room for the batter to spread into larger rounds. When the pancakes begin to bubble, flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with a kitchen towel to keep warm until serving. Serve with syrup or optional icing.

Optional Icing:

Mix together powdered sugar and whipping cream to reach desired consistency and taste. Pour over top individual stack of pancakes.

To Freeze:

Allow the pancakes to cool completely, then transfer to a freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or until hot.

Source: Adapted from My Life As a Mrs

Comments

1. How, oh how, can we make these happen in Grand Rapids? NEED!! NEED!! NEED!!!

2. Dang, I wish it was my birthday!

3. Too bad you live in the States! We live in Germany and would love to have you make these for us. Since I love your recipes, I’ll have to put this down as another “must” try. Thanks for all the inspiration and hard work!

4. yours look so much prettier than mine! ;) LOVE.

5. Diane Hutchings says:

Lee would totally love these! Im going to have to treat him :)

6. How fun! You can expect me next February!

7. I can’t wait to make these a week from Sunday, 24 is going to start off deliciously!

8. My hubby turns 30 next Friday, the 24th, I think I will be getting up early that day to make him some of these! Yummo!

9. Oh wow! These are freaking awesome! I need these in my tummy stat!!

10. droolicious!! i would totally make a huge stack for myself on my birthday – or get jason to make it ;)

11. I.LOVE.THIS!!!! So, so, so cute!!

12. These look AMAZING.

13. October 8 I celebrate the last year of my 20s. Just in case you were wondering.

14. YESSS! This looks awesome!

15. These are so fun!!! I would love to wake up to these on my birthday. And funny, it’s my birthday this weekend so perfect to have a batch made and ready!!

16. Sweetsugarbelle says:

My bday is coming!!!! Can I come over?!

17. These look like the perfect birthday treat!! They look amazing!

18. Wow, so decadent! This is definitely a recipe I want to save for my son’s birthday this fall. He would love this.

19. My birthday is Saturday so I’m going to make these this week. They look really yummy

20. Can these be made with store bought pancake mix?

• Hi Jeni, You can probably use store bought pancake mix, but I’m not sure how much of the pancake mix you would use. Come back and let us know if you come up with a good formula! :)

21. I’m making these right now for my nieces birthday today I hope I made them right haha

22. Can you use the funfetti cake mix and frosting, and eliminate the sprinkles?

23. Can you make waffles from this recipe? It is an AWESOME idea!

• I haven’t tried making waffles with this recipe, but I’m thinking there should probably be tweaks to it. If you do a Google search for “cake batter waffles”, or “birthday cake waffles” you might find a recipe out there. :) I do want to give it a try, myself, someday!!

24. Is there anyway you can think to put a vegan spin on these? They look amazing!

• Hi Sarah,
      I’m definitely not an expert in the vegan area. You might want to share this recipe with a vegan recipe blogger and see if they can make an adaptation. :)

25. I don’t know that those could be called breakfast … but who cares?!

26. What could I use in place of the eggs, if anything? My 2 year old has an egg allergy so fun recipes like these are always hard to replicate in our home. :(

• Hi Stephanie, Maybe another reader can chime in. I’m not familiar with egg substitutes, so I can’t help you there. Maybe a Google search?

• Instead of eggs, try plain yogurt instead, or applesauce…works every time for me…and the applesauce would also make these VEGAN to answer that earlier posters question…

27. Gloria Quinones says:

Can you prepare the mix the night before and make the pancakes the next day?

• Hi Gloria, You can give it a try, if you leave out the sprinkles until right before making it. Otherwise, the sprinkles colors will bleed into the batter.

28. How fun! I have to make this for the boyfriend for his birthday!

29. Hi! Do you think I can make everything the night before and just reheat in the microwave in the morning or it will be too rubbery? My daughter’s birthday is next Friday and she would love this, especially eaten as a cake!

• I’ve made them ahead of time, then warmed them in the fridge and they were fine. But, I freeze them instead of letting them stay out overnight. Once I let them stay overnight and they were rubbery when reheated. And, when you do reheat them, make sure they are reheated well…I mean HOT. Or, again, they will be rubbery.

30. Thank you for your quick reply, Nikki! I have another question, what do you do to make them so high and fluffy, is it the buttermilk? Do you make your own buttermilk with milk and vinegar or you use real buttermilk? Thanks!

• Hi Silvia, Yes, I use real buttermilk. Once in a while I’ll substitute with the milk and vinegar mixture, but I haven’t tried that yet with these pancakes. Did yours not turn out fluffy? The baking soda is also key. Make sure yours isn’t expired. :)

• I haven’t tried yours yet, but I almost always have the problem of pancakes not being fluffy and being very flat. This time I will try with real buttermilk, in case that makes a difference. Regarding the baking soda, the last time I used a brand new Arm and Hammer baking soda and it didn’t help. I will let you know how it goes, I hope it will be ok, although my daughter don’t care about how they turn out as long as they taste like pancakes :) Thank you for your answer!

31. Silvia you poor thing you, I used to have the same problem. Its 1 of two things. First it may be the batter is to runny. Add more of the dry ingredients by eye balling it little by little til the batter is thicker but not thick-thick. Second bisquick is a GREAT brand for a quick fluffy pancake fix mix. My husband had introduced me to it since I had used other brands and that bisquick stuff is a-maizing. Its gotta be one of those 2 things…hey let us know okay what you did to solve your problem

• Hi Nikki, thank you for all your advice! I did as you told me, froze the pancakes and then reheated them in the microwave in the morning. My daughter loved them, she ate a portion of the “cake” yesterday and another one today :). I have to tell you that even though they weren’t as tall as yours, they weren’t rubbery or crunchy, thank goodness! They were fluffy and super tasty. What I noticed though is that my last pancakes were thinner than the first ones, more spread out with the same amount of batter. Do you know if there is a reason for that? I will try the Bisquick brand some time and let you know how it goes!

• Thank you Lizzi! I will try to add more flour to the batter next time, that could help things a little. I will let you know :)

• Hi Silvia,
        I’m not sure why the last pancakes were thinner. Interesting, though! Glad they turned out delicious for you and that your daughter loved them, as well. :) Tell her happy birthday for me! :)

32. I’m not great at the whole from scratch stuff… Can you make the box pancakes and just add sprinkles?

33. Hi, I was wondering the measurements for the icing.

• Hi Lisa,
      I don’t use exact measurements as it’s solely up to your taste. Just gradually combine the two ingredients until it reaches your taste and texture preference (runny or thick). I would start with just Tablespoons of each.

34. This was delicious!!!! I did forget to add the buttermilk so my batter was thick but I made it work and it still came out yummy!

My son and hubby loved them!!!

35. Can I use confetti cake mix instead of yellow? And would there be any substitutions if so?
    Thanks! I am really excited to make these for my boyfriend next week!

36. Oh, how cute ! These are absolutely adorable !

ratedkb.wordpress.com

37. I cannot wait to make these for my daughter’s 3rd birthday tomorrow!!!!

38. Just served these for New Years… Delicious!!!

39. I make “happy birthday” pancakes for each birthday in our house but they are just reg. pancake batter / sprinkles….I’ll have to try his recipe!

40. These are BRILLIANT! I’m linking your site and recipe on my site this week. Thanks for the new tradition!

41. I made these this morning and they turned out delicious, but I’m a bit confused about the 2 Tbs of butter. When I mixed the wet ingredients it says mix milk butter and vanilla but I didn’t no if it was the buttermilk that I add or the actual butter? Or if the actual butter was just for the griddle. Please help! I need to no

• Hi Lauren,

The “milk” means the buttermilk and the milk, and the “butter” means the butter. :) So, yes, mix the butter into the wet ingredients. :)

Se ven deliciosos…creo que se les puede poner de lustre dulce de leche…gracias! Por la idea.

43. I am making these for my daughter tomorrow morning for her 20th birthday!!

44. Stopped by from Mrs. Tucker’s website — can’t wait to try these! My 8 year old Granddaughter and I make colored pancakes often and she is just going to love this! Thanks!

45. What is the portion amount for whip cream and powdered sugar?

46. OMG! These were fabulous and fun!

47. I made these B-day pancakes for my babes birthday B-fest. It was a HIT!! yummy. I was happy how easy it was.

48. My Mom made these for me for my birthday and they were A-MAZ-ING!

49. Just wondering if you could use Funfetti cake mix and Bisquick and eliminate all the other ingredients?

50. I am so going to make these for my Granddaughter’s 1st Birthday on the 19th….BUT 1st I will try them with my class trying them as Karen suggested with Funfetti cake mix and pancake batter…..

51. Mellybrown says:

Just have to tell you — we have given up trying to think of a birthday to celebrate so that we can have these pancakes and now just refer to them as “Saturday Pancakes.” :) They are so, so good. No Saturday (or birthday) is complete without them!

52. Melanie says:

I’m making this tomorrow morning using “yellow cake box mix” do I need to blend it with pancake mix at all? I don’t see a mention for it. Do I need to use a beater? Thanks! I’m excited to see how it turns out.

• Hi Melanie,
      No, this is a homemade pancake recipe, so you do not mix it with a pancake mix. :) Just follow the directions as listed, using 1 cup of your yellow cake box mix. No, do not use a beater for this…just a whisk as directed. :) Enjoy!

53. My sons birthday is next week. I’ll definitely be making these for him!

54. Jennifer says:

My aunt’s birthday is today and my birthday is in exactly 1 week, do u think u could make me and her these?

• haha! Well, I could, but by the time you receive them in the mail they might not taste as good. ;) I do know you can make them, though! Easy peasy! :)

55. Love this idea!

56. I told my mom she had to make these for me on my birthday. Which is Sunday! Soooo yay! :D

57. Hi! These look awesome! Do you make your own whipping cream or do you buy it? Can you use heavy whipping cream?

58. One word – delicious!

59. Hi. I just want to thank you for posting this recipe! We have made these pancakes for our daughter’s past 3 birthdays. We love the tradition! And now we have an almost-1 year old (our girls are 6 years and 5 days apart), so I can save the second half of the batch and have them for her birthday, too! Thanks so much.