Try this apple pie monkey bread for breakfast or dessert. Use refrigerated biscuits and apple pie spices to make this easy monkey bread recipe!
Click here to PIN this apple monkey bread recipe!
Monkey bread has been popular for years because of how easy and tasty it is. There are many variations now, but this apple pie monkey bread is just as easy to toss together as the original. We're really only adding chopped apples and spices you use in an apple pie. If you love apple cinnamon, make sure you try my apple cinnamon muffins, too!
Monkey bread is a favorite breakfast recipe during the holidays because it comes together quickly and feeds a lot of people. I remember the first time I had it one Christmas morning, years ago, at a friend's home when we lived in the Chicago area. The person who brought it used homemade dough and it was delicious. But, when you're making so many other dishes during the holiday season, it's nice to resort to convenience and use refrigerated biscuit dough instead.
📋 Grocery List
Grab a few tubes of refrigerated biscuit dough and apples next time you're at the store. Everything else you might already have on hand!
Gather these ingredients:
- Refrigerated biscuit dough (enough tubes to equal around 30 oz. -- regular or flaky)
- Apples (3 medium)
- Lemon (1 small)
- Granulated sugar (1 cup)
- Brown sugar (½ cup)
- Butter (½ cup)
- Ground cinnamon (2 teaspoons)
- Ground nutmeg (½ teaspoon)
If you do not have ground nutmeg on hand, don't go to the store and buy it just for this recipe! The apple cinnamon combination will be enough. On the other hand, if you have other apple pie spices like cardamom, ginger and allspice, go ahead and toss in a dash of those, too. Feel free to play around with the spices!
Click here for the full recipe ingredients and instructions.
👩🏽🍳 How to Make Apple Pie Monkey Bread
This ooey gooey apple monkey bread is super easy using refrigerated biscuits. Follow these easy steps:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 12-cup bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the granulated sugar and spices.
- Quarter the biscuits and toss with the cinnamon sugar mixture until evenly coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the diced apples, lemon juice and brown sugar. Add to the bowl with the biscuits and gently stir.
- Transfer mixture to prepared bundt pan then pour melted butter over top.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until done.
- Let rest 10 minutes then invert to serving platter. Serve warm.
💭 What if I Don't Own a Bundt Pan?
I use my 12-cup bundt pan, but if you do not own one, do not worry! You can bake monkey bread in any pan that will fit it, like a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Make sure you leave room for it to rise, though!
If using a more shallow pan, the baking time may be shorter. Start checking if your monkey bread is done at 30 minutes.
I also suggest you place whatever pan you use on top of a large rimmed baking sheet in case the juices spill over.
🍎 Other Apple Pie Recipes
PRINT this recipe or PIN it to save for later. Made this recipe? Leave a star rating and tag me on social media @seededtable so I can see. I love hearing from you!
Apple Pie Monkey Bread
- bundt pan
- medium mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 30 oz. refrigerated biscuit dough (regular or flaky)
- 3 medium apples , peeled and diced
- splash of lemon juice (optional)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup bundt pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the granulated sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut each biscuit into quarters and place in the bowl. Lightly toss with a wooden spoon until all the biscuit pieces are evenly coated with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the apples and lemon juice. Add the brown sugar and lightly mix. Pour into the bowl with the biscuits and gently stir until evenly combined.
- Evenly distribute apple biscuits mixture into prepared bundt pan. Pour melted butter evenly over top. Bake 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let set 10 minutes, then invert onto serving platter. Serve warm.
- If you do not have a bundt pan, you can bake this in a 9x13 casserole dish. Check for doneness after 30 minutes.
- Try stirring in caramel bits for caramel apple monkey bread.
- Try topping with powdered sugar or caramel sauce.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only.