The best family-friendly comfort dish, this Italian ground beef casserole is topped with biscuits for a hearty and filling meal your whole family will love! Save this biscuit casserole recipe for a quick weeknight meal!
During the colder seasons, I love a hearty biscuit casserole! This Italian ground beef casserole recipe is a favorite in my home that even my kids love! No, they do not only eat the biscuit, but they eat up the filling, too! In fact, they may claim this as the best Italian dish ever. haha!
It is really easy to prepare this ground beef casserole because it includes few ingredients. I can whip up this delicious meal on a weeknight and not feel exhausted afterwards! It's also fun to let the kids get involved by placing the biscuits over top. Little by little you can incorporate these simple steps until they eventually are making YOU dinner!
How to make Italian ground beef casserole
For this Italian casserole, all you need are the following ingredients:
- ground beef
- onion and garlic
- beef broth
- frozen mixed vegetables
- mozzarella and parmesan
- a tube of refrigerated biscuit dough
To make the ground beef casserole, follow a few simple steps:
- Cook the beef, onions, garlic, marinara and broth in a large skillet.
- Stir in the vegetables and cheese.
- Transfer to casserole dish and top with biscuits.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
(Full recipe ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.)
Italian casserole for company
This is a good Italian dish you can serve to company and even make two pans at a time to share with a family in need of a meal! I made this again recently when my parents were in town and we had only a little bit left over. So, if you are planning to have just one other couple over, you are good with making the one pan. But, if you want to have another family with kids, I would double it up.
Because a casserole usually already includes both vegetables and meat, and this one even includes the bread, it can be difficult to come up with a side dish to serve with it. I always serve a Caesar salad alongside this ground beef casserole because Caesar salad is just so perfect with any Italian dish.
Casserole with Biscuit Topping
When you place the biscuits on top of this casserole dish, you can arrange them any way you like. In the recipe below, I instruct to arrange them along the side of the dish so that the middle of the beef filling is exposed for topping with more cheese. I also love to make this biscuit casserole in an oval casserole dish because it's so pretty with the biscuits arranged like this.
Any way you decide to arrange the biscuits, make sure you do not overlap them too much -- no more than halfway over the other. Otherwise, you may end up with under-cooked biscuits and no one like to bite into raw dough! This is the reason we split the biscuits in half, too, so that the biscuits are thinner and cook through faster.
I think you will really enjoy this Biscuit Italian Ground Beef Casserole recipe! It's been here in my collection since 2007, but I have tweaked it over the years so that it's now the best Italian dish ever (in my kids' humble opinion). 😉
Biscuit Italian Ground Beef Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 cup marinara (use your favorite!)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 10 oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables , steamed according to package directions
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese , divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan , plus additional for topping
- 12 oz. refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 2 tablespoons salted butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onions are just soft; about 5 minutes. Drain excess grease. Add the garlic and cook another minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the marinara and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the vegetables in the microwave according to package directions. Remove skillet from the heat and stir in the vegetables with 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup of Parmesan. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Remove biscuits from packaging. Split each biscuit in half. Arrange biscuits around edge of dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella in center of casserole. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until biscuits are cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, brush biscuits with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Instead of arranging biscuits along the side of the casserole dish, you can arrange them in rows and columns to cover the entire surface.
- This can be a one pan recipe! Cook everything in a large cast iron skillet and layer the biscuits on top then bake!
This recipe was originally published on November 27, 2007 and updated with new photos and improved recipe on December 7, 2019.