This oven baked Chicken Parmesan recipe is an easy dinner you can throw together any night of the week! With a few simple ingredients, this chicken dish has a delicious crispy coating you will love!
Are you ready for another easy weeknight meal? We've been enjoying this Baked Chicken Parmesan since the first year I started blogging! How long ago was that you ask? 12 years! TWELVE!
Tried and True Recipe for Twelve Years
That, my friend, is how you know this recipe is goo-ood! It is still one of our favorites. Even after all of the other amazing weeknight dinner recipes we've come across over all these years, this Baked Chicken Parmesan continues to appear in our meal plan rotation frequently because it's simple and we love it.
What people are saying about this baked chicken parmesan recipe:
Oh my goodness! This is my favorite Chicken recipe. So easy and SO GOOD! I have made it for numerous friends and they all love it! -Angie
How to make Baked Chicken Parmesan
To make this chicken parmesan, you simply follow these easy steps:
- Combine the wet ingredients in a shallow bowl.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate shallow bowl.
- Coat the chicken in the wet mixture, then the dry mixture.
- Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.
Can it get easier?? You probably have most of the ingredients on hand, too!
Why Mozzarella in Chicken Parmesan?
You might wonder why no mozzarella cheese like a traditional chicken parm recipe? I just don't feel it is necessary. As we age, we are continuously finding ways to reduce calories and tweak recipes to eliminate unnecessary ingredients. Yes, mozz cheese is super yum, but most of the time I find I leave it off and just enjoy with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese only.
BUT, I know y'all might really want the mozzarella and so I included the optional steps in my recipe below. Heck, I'll even top it with the additional cheese sometimes, too.
Another way we lighten up this dish is to use good marinara sauce. In the last almost two years, we've been much better at checking the ingredients on our food labels. We're not perfect at this, but anytime we can avoid sugar in our sauces, we do. I'm willing to spend an extra two dollars on a better sauce with better ingredients. Usually at least one of these options is on sale, too.
I love using thin spaghetti for chicken parmesan, but you can use whatever pasta you like. It's the chicken that's the star here with it's awesome crispy coating!
What to serve with Chicken Parmesan?
We like to enjoy this Baked Chicken Parmesan with an easy packaged Caesar salad from the produce section -- you know, the salad mixes in the bags by companies like Dole? If you need an appetizer to begin, try these fun Italian Tomato Cups. And, of course, you need garlic bread and a delicious Italian dessert like my Tiramisu Brownies, right?
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 3 boneless boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 ounce can French fried onion rings crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 oz. thin spaghetti
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with nonstick oil.
- Using kitchen shears, cut the chicken horizontally to make 6 fillets; set aside.
- In a shallow dish or pie plate, mix together the melted butter, seasoned salt, dry mustard and Worcestershire sauce. In a separate shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, parsley and onion rings.
- Dip chicken in the butter mixture, coating both sides. Then dip into the crumbs mixture, coating both sides. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes then carefully flip the chicken and bake an additional 10 minutes or until coating is crisp and chicken is cooked through to at least 165°F.
- While chicken is baking, prepare the spaghetti and heat the sauce according to packaged directions.
- Serve chicken with cooked spaghetti and sauce.OPTIONAL: Before serving, sprinkle a couple tablespoon of shredded mozzarella over each chicken breast and top with a spoonful of sauce. Return to oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese. (We skip this for less calories)
Pin this image to your favorite recipe board.
This Baked Chicken Parmesan post was originally published September 7, 2007. Recipe and photography updated June 28, 2019.