Make this broccoli cheese casserole for an easy cheesy side dish! Topped with buttery Ritz crackers!
Cheesy side dishes, like this broccoli cheese casserole, make me really look forward to holiday dinners! For Thanksgiving, we consider sweet potatoes topped with toasted marshmallows as a vegetable side dish, so this broccoli smothered in cheese fits right in! I mean, veggies and cheese are good for you, right?
🧾 Grocery List
You should easily find everything you need at the grocery store or in your pantry.
Gather these ingredients:
- Fresh broccoli (2 bunches)
- Cream of chicken (1 can)
- Egg (1 large)
- Sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz. block)
- Mayonnaise (1/2 cup)
- Sour cream (1/2 cup)
- Ritz crackers (1 sleeve)
You can choose to use frozen broccoli. If you do, grab a 32 oz. bag and partially cook.
Click here for full recipe ingredients, instructions and a step-by-step video.
🥦 How to Make Broccoli Cheese Casserole
This side dish recipe is super easy! Mix the ingredients in a bowl, spread in a baking dish and bake! If you use frozen broccoli, it's even easier because you don't have to chop the florets. But, it's so simple to chop broccoli that I typically choose fresh broccoli.
💬 Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen broccoli?
Fresh or frozen broccoli works great in this broccoli cheese recipe. If using frozen broccoli, partially steam in the microwave for half the time given on the package instructions. (This is assuming you are using the steamable bags.) If you are using fresh broccoli, wash it and cut into florets (the "trees") and then steam in the microwave for 5 minutes before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
Can I make this ahead of time?
You can prepare broccoli cheese casserole ahead of time and keep it in the fridge to bake the next day. I would encourage this so you can focus on other meal prep the day of your feast! Take it out of the fridge while oven preheats. You may need an extra 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time.
Can I freeze it?
You can freeze the prepared broccoli casserole in a foil container tightly covered with plastic wrap. Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge before baking. Again, remove from fridge as oven preheats and allow an extra 5 to 10 minutes of baking time.
👩🏽🍳 Best Tips
If you prepare the broccoli casserole in advance, wait to add the Ritz cracker topping. This is true for making the casserole the same day -- you wait to add the Ritz crackers until the last 10 minutes of baking. This will avoid over-browning.
This broccoli cheese recipe calls for cream of chicken soup, but you can also use cream of mushroom if you prefer. I think the cream of chicken gives more flavor.
🍽 More Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
Not quite in the cheesy broccoli bake mood? Try any of these other favorite holiday side dish recipes!
- Classic Deviled Eggs
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Easy Corn Casserole
- Crockpot Mac 'n Cheese
- Cornbread Dressing
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
The recipe was originally published November 2019 and updated September 2020.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 2 bunches fresh broccoli (or 32 oz. frozen broccoli)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/2 small onion , chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
For Ritz cracker topping:
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers , crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Wash and dry the fresh broccoli, cut into florets. Place into large microwavable bowl with water and tightly cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 5 minutes, let stand 2 minutes and drain. (If using frozen broccoli, steam for half the time given on the package directions, then drain.)
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the crackers and butter. Add the broccoli to the bowl and mix to coat. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, combine Ritz crackers and melted butter in small bowl. Remove casserole from oven and sprinkle Ritz topping evenly over top. Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only.