I'm in love with these biscotti. If I make them for myself, I probably won't take the time to dip them in the white chocolate and crushed candy canes, because I'll want to eat them right away instead! They're great dipped in coffee or hot cocoa...or even on their own.
Candy Cane Biscotti
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup finely crushed peppermint candy canes
- 14 ounces fine quality white chocolate , melted
- extra crushed candy canes to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined – stir in crushed candy.
- Evenly divide dough into 4 pieces on a lightly floured surface. Shape each piece into 9- x 1 1/2-inch round log. Place logs 3 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until tops are cracked and ends just start to turn light brown, about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 325. Cool logs 10 minutes on cookie sheet.
- Cut each log diagonally into 1/2-inch slices with sharp serrated knife. (Discard ends, if you want.) Arrange pieces standing up back onto the baking sheet.
- Bake until cookies are light golden brown and crisp on both sides, about 12 to 15 minutes. The centers may still be a little soft, but will firm up as they cool. Place onto cool rack and cool completely.
- Dip half of each biscotti into melted chocolate – shake off excess. Immediately sprinkle with additional crushed candy canes and set on a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet until the chocolate has set.
- Source: Culinary in the Desert