This Peppermint Marshmallow No-Bake Dessert is a blend of peppermint, Cool Whip, and marshmallow over top a delicious Oreo cookie crust. It’s light and fluffy, with a surprise crunch of Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses. This no-bake Christmas dish is EASY to make resulting in the perfect holiday dessert.
This year I converted to a lover of peppermint desserts. In the past, I typically avoided all peppermint flavored treats because I’ve never liked mint chocolate chip ice cream. So, I associated peppermint sweets with the same taste as mint chocolate chip, even though I did make a few enjoyable peppermint desserts in the past. I think the mint chocolate chip ice cream I always tried was made from spearmint, instead of peppermint. Enter Blue Bell’s new Peppermint Bark Ice Cream — I’m a new believer! Y’all, it is SO good. Our new favorite Christmas ice cream, even over their popular Christmas Cookies flavor.
Ben is now making fun of how many peppermint treats I’ve been eating lately.
Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses
Last week I shared my recipe for Sugar Cookie Candy Cane Blossoms. I’ve made these peppermint flavored cookies three times already just this season. The cookies are centered with Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses. After making these cookies and falling in love with the candy cane Kisses, I knew I had to incorporate the Kisses into this peppermint marshmallow dessert.
This was the no-bake dessert I made for our adult Sunday School Christmas party, along with the Puff Pastry Pesto Wreath for an appetizer. Since my kids didn’t get to have any of the Peppermint Marshmallow Dessert that evening, I made it again for just our family to enjoy. I’m excited while typing this because there is still enough left to enjoy for one more night tonight!
Quick and Easy No-Bake Christmas Dessert
I love this recipe for Peppermint Marshmallow No-Bake Dessert because it includes ingredients that are very familiar to me. It only uses Oreo’s, marshmallows, milk, Cool Whip, butter and my new favorite Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses. Yet, the Kisses are completely optional if you can’t find them. Some no-bake recipes call for gelatin, which I never ever use. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against it. I just never use it so it’s not familiar to me and is just an extra step I don’t need.
Tips for Making Peppermint Marshmallow No-Bake Dessert
- To save dirty dishes, crush your Oreo’s in a freezer bag and then mix the crushed Oreo’s with the butter in the 9×13 pan instead of using a separate bowl.
- To save time, unwrap and chop the Kisses while the marshmallow mix is chilling. Also prepare the Oreo crust during this time.
- To rid any lumps while melting the marshmallows, whip the mixture gently with a whisk near the end.
Make-Ahead Holiday Dessert
One of the great benefits about this no-bake Christmas dessert is that it can be quickly made ahead of time and left chilling in the fridge until ready to serve. It lasts a few days, and I believe gets better over time as the Oreo cookies soften.
You will really enjoy this Peppermint Marshmallow No-Bake Dessert and so will your friends! Make sure to quickly add it to your Christmas menu because the day is approaching fast!
Peppermint Marshmallow No-Bake Dessert
For the Filling:
- 1 (10 oz.) bag miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 16 oz. Cool Whip
- Half of 10 oz. bag Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses about 25 Kisses
- Christmas sprinkles optional
For the Oreo Crust
- 1 (14.3 oz.) package Oreo Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter melted
For the Filling:
- Combine marshmallows, peppermint extract and milk in a large saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until marshmallows are completely melted, stirring frequently. If necessary, use a whisk at the end to get rid of any lumps.
- Refrigerate marshmallow mixture for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. SET YOUR TIMER. Do not go over 30 minutes.
- While the marshmallows are cooling, quickly unwrap and chop the Hershey's Kisses; set aside. Prepare the Oreo crust (see below).
- Remove the chilled marshmallow mixture from fridge and fold in the Cool Whip. Add the chopped Kisses. Spread mixture evenly over top the Oreo crust. Garnish with Christmas sprinkles, optional.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, or until set. Can be made the day ahead.
For the Oreo Crust:
- Place the Oreo cookies in a sealed zipper bag. Crush with a rolling pin. Pour in a 9x13 pan and mix in the melted butter. Spread into an even layer.