Ring in the new year with this black eyed pea dip. This quick and easy black eyed peas recipe includes only 5 ingredients tossed in a bowl!
Some say new year black eyed peas will bring you luck, so why not give it a shot with this black eyed peas recipe on new years day? Or maybe try our Hoppin' John recipe? If it's your first time using black eyed peas, this is a great one to start with! You simply take 5 ingredients and toss them together in a bowl then let it chill a few hours to blend the flavors.
About This Recipe
This black eyed pea dip is perfect with tortilla chips, regular corn and blue corn. We also love it with the quinoa chips from Sam's Club. Some people may call this dip recipe "cowboy caviar" or "Texas caviar" but those all contain black beans. Not this recipe! Only black eyed peas, here!
You read it right. This black eyed peas recipe uses only 5 ingredients! Below is a list of what you need.
Grocery List for Black Eyed Pea Dip:
- Black eyed peas - Grab two 15 oz. cans!
- Mexicorn - This is an 11 oz. can of corn with diced peppers. It may otherwise be called Fiesta Corn in your store. If you cannot find either, use a can of corn with freshly diced red and green bell peppers, and then stir in a pinch of sugar and salt.
- Salsa - Use 1 cup of your favorite. It can be red salsa, green or roasted, etc.
- Italian dressing - This is the star of the show that adds a lot of the flavor, so choose wisely.
- Onion - Chop up a yellow onion and use 1 cup in the recipe. I also love sweet Vidalia onion for this recipe.
Click here for the full recipe ingredients and detailed instructions.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the step-by-step on how to make this black eyed pea dip. But, the instructions are so easy you really don't need the recipe. Here it is in just three easy steps:
- Drain and rinse the black eyed peas in a colander.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Refrigerate 3 hours and serve!
Onions: The onions are optional and can be left out for those picky eaters.
Veggies: Try added other veggies like celery, diced pimentos, or roasted bell pepper.
Cheese: This dip would also be really good with shredded monterey jack cheese stirred in! Or try adding crumbled feta.
Chips: Reach beyond tortilla chips and serve with pita chips, scoop chips, crackers or veggies.
Best Tips & Tricks
- Use your favorite salsa. Our favorite is a roasted and smoky salsa. You can use whatever you love, too!
- Rinse the black eyed peas. Before adding the black eyed peas, make sure you drain them in a colander and rinse them well to remove the starch. This takes just seconds.
- Chill at least 3 hours. You want the flavors to blend, so be patient and let this dip chill before serving.
Your Questions Answered
What is Mexicorn?
Mexicorn is simply a can of corn that includes diced red and green bell peppers. If you cannot find it in your store, go ahead and use a regular can of sweet corn and dice up your own fresh bell peppers. A little more work, but no biggie! It's a pretty common product in our stores so I'm guessing you can find it.
Are black eyed peas healthy?
Black eyed peas are loaded with fiber and protein, so this dip can be a healthier option in moderation.
Can I bake black eyed pea dip?
Yes, you can serve this hot by topping with shredded cheese (I recommend monterey jack) and then bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
What is the superstition with black eyed peas?
As the southern superstition holds, you should only eat 365 black eyed peas for 365 days of good luck. Any more, those days will turn into bad luck. And, make sure to leave one on your plate to share the good fortune! 😉
Storage and Leftovers
Store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Make-ahead: This recipe is great to make ahead for your gathering. Assemble it and store in the fridge until ready to serve -- within 1 week.
Freeze: I do not recommend freezing this black eyed pea dip.
More New Years Eve Recipes
- Pomegranate Champagne
- Bacon Wrapped Cocktail Weenies
- Pomegranate Cookies
- Kid Friendly Fizzy Drink
- Hoppin' John
This recipe was originally published December 2019 and updated with optimized photos in December 2021.
Black Eyed Pea Dip
- 2 (15 oz. cans) black eyed peas , rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 oz. can) Mexicorn (or fiesta corn)
- 1 cup salsa (use your favorite)
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Serve with chips. Keeps in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only.
- Store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Make-ahead: This recipe is great to make ahead for your gathering. Assemble it and store in the fridge until ready to serve -- within 1 week.
- Freeze: I do not recommend freezing this black eyed pea dip.