This Christmas crack recipe is the most delicious cracker toffee out there! Ritz crackers are coated with caramel and chocolate resulting in the EASIEST sweet and salty Christmas crack candy that no one can resist!
In only a couple of easy steps you can make this Ritz cracker toffee recipe. Once you break it into pieces, you won't stop munching on several chunks of this crunchy, sweet and salty snack. Christmas Crack Toffee is one of my favorite treats to pass out to neighbors during the holidays.
This Christmas Crack recipe can be made with either Ritz crackers or saltine crackers. I prefer Ritz crackers because I always have those on hand and I love the buttery flavor it adds. But, you can't go wrong with using saltines!
How To Make Toffee with Ritz Crackers
Ritz cracker toffee is made in a parchment lined pan, so it is very easy to clean up. If you don't have parchment paper, you can use foil, too!
The simple toffee is so easy to make on the stove-top, consisting of only two ingredients: Brown sugar and butter! The toffee is poured over the crackers in the pan and then topped with chocolate chips. Once hardened, break into pieces to make the BEST Christmas Crack.
How To Make Cracker Toffee
I sprinkled Christmas sprinkles over the melted chocolate before it hardened. You can choose other toppings such as red and green M&M's, nuts, Heath bits, crushed peppermint, or leave it plain with no topping!
This Christmas Crack recipe takes only 10 minutes to prepare and serves many. Package it up for neighbor gifts or friends and family. Or, serve the Ritz cracker toffee as a sweet treat at your Christmas party. Your guests won't be able to stop munching on this sweet and salty Christmas Crack!
Christmas Crack will last at room temperature for 1-2 weeks, so it makes a great Christmas gift. I found perfect sized containers at the Dollar Tree to package this Christmas Crack for neighbors. The containers come in a 2-pack with lids and a handle, so we saved money at only 50 cents per container!
Christmas Crack Recipe Tips
A few tips for making this Ritz Cracker Toffee recipe:
- This Christmas Crack recipe can be made two ways, with Ritz crackers or saltine crackers.
- If you're in a warmer climate, refrigerate to harden the chocolate.
- The Christmas Crack recipe below uses an 8x8-inch pan. You can double the recipe to make more in a larger pan.
- Package half of the toffee right away and send to friends so you won't eat it all!
Beware! This Christmas Crack is seriously the best!
Other delicious Christmas snacks:
Christmas Crack Recipe
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers about 20 crackers
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- sprinkles, crushed peppermints, nuts, M&M's for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment paper or foil.
- Place Ritz crackers on bottom of prepared baking dish in a single layer. Use more or less crackers as needed -- it doesn't have to be uniform and pretty.
- In a medium pan, melt sugar and butter over medium heat. Once fully combined, turn heat up to medium high and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes WITHOUT stirring.
- Immediately pour the hot mixture over the crackers. Use a rubber spatula to evenly spread. Bake for 5 minutes to set the caramel.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over top. Bake for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use rubber spatula to spread melted chocolate in an even layer. Optional: Sprinkle with desired topping (sprinkles, M&M's, crushed peppermints, etc.)
- Let cool for several hours on the counter top, or refrigerate for quicker results. Once chocolate is hardened, remove from pan and break into pieces.
- Keep at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. If in a warmer climate, you may need to keep in fridge if melts.