Every home cook needs a baked cheese grits casserole recipe in his or her collection. This one is mine and it is SO GOOD! These cheesy grits are great with breakfast or ANY meal!
It wasn’t until we moved to Mississippi that I fell in love with cheese grits. I think I tried buttered grits a few times before moving to the south, but I didn’t know about this love affair with cheesy grits until I became immersed in the culture of southern food.
For a few years in a row, before I went back to school for occupational therapy, I was a part of a sweet women’s Bible study on Wednesday mornings. Each week, a different small group in the study was responsible for bringing a breakfast potluck. Without fail, there was always a dish of cheese grits casserole. Always!
The cheesy grits were what I looked forward to most for those weekly Bible study breakfasts. In fact, I possibly spooned seconds more times than not. It was always a treat to be fed and gather with like-minded moms for fellowship and study.
During one of those years of Bible study, I collected the breakfast recipes from all the moms and organized them into a stapled handout so we could keep the breakfast recipes at the end of the year when the study was over. This cheesy grits recipe is a slight variation from those recipes.
This is my go-to recipe for Cheese Grits Casserole. But, let me give you a few tips I’ve learned over the years.
- Jim Dandy brand of grits is my favorite. There’s just something about Jim Dandy grits that taste better. I can’t tell you why, just a personal preference!
- If you can’t find Jim Dandy brand in your stores (looking at you my northern friends!) then other brands will do just fine. Don’t pass on this recipe just yet!
- Use quick grits NOT instant grits.
Do you like grits? Are you one who’s never tried them? Maybe you are like me and grew to love them over a journey. I would love to hear your thoughts!
Cheese Grits Casserole
- 3 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup quick grits (not instant)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk (or half & half)
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease medium sized casserole dish with non-stick spray. (I use my 8-inch square Pyrex.)
- In a large saucepan over high heat, stir together the water, salt and garlic salt and bring to a boil. Slowly stir in the grits with a wooden spoon. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until thickened, stirring every so often.
- Remove pan from heat. Uncover and stir in the cheddar, Parmesan cheese and butter until melted. Mix in the milk, eggs and cayenne until combined. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until set in the middle and golden.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Pin this image to save for later.