This easy pumpkin dump cake is like a warm delicious pumpkin cobbler. It is a favorite fall dessert served with ice cream and caramel over top. Don't miss this one!
Most years, we rely on our typical fall desserts like pumpkin bars and apple pie. This year, make sure you add this pumpkin dump cake to your recipe collection! It's rich and gooey with a delicious crumb topping and all the flavors of fall!
If you love warm cobbler with ice cream on top, then I can bet you will absolutely LOVE this dessert. If you love a fast and easy delicious dessert recipe, then consider this a double whammy!
📋 Grocery List
A simple box of yellow cake mix goes a long way for this recipe, and then you need just a few more items.
Gather these ingredients:
- Yellow cake mix (15 oz. box)
- Chopped pecans (1 cup)
- Pumpkin puree (15 oz. can)
- Unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- Evaporated milk (10 oz. can)
- Eggs (2 large)
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground cloves
- Ground nutmeg
- Vanilla ice cream
- Caramel topping
Do not skip out on the ice cream and caramel topping, trust me! If you do not like either of these, then try it with a dollop of whipped cream.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
💭 What is Dump Cake?
Although I first heard about it from The Pioneer Woman, dump cake has been around for quite a long time! Our mothers and grandmothers made it. The idea is to layer (or "dump") the ingredients in a pan, then after pouring melted butter on top, the baking process creates a magical cobbler like dessert. You will want to scoop warm pieces on your plate instead of slicing it.
We're going all fall with this dump cake! Instead of a fruity cobbler, the bottom is a pumpkin pie type layer and the top is a beautiful crumb topping with toasted pecans. It's just delightful!
Try this pumpkin dump cake this year for Thanksgiving. It's a wonderful change up from the usual and everyone will love it!
👩🏽🍳 How to Make Pumpkin Dump Cake
The steps to make this cake are very simple. The hardest part is waiting for it to bake while you're smelling the warm spices of fall.
- Mix the pumpkin, milk, eggs and spices and pour into a 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle with cake and then pecans.
- Pour melted butter over top.
- Bake 1 hour in a preheated 350°F oven.
- Serve warm with ice cream and caramel sauce, or just a dollop of whipped cream.
Y'all, it doesn't get easier than this!
🥧 More Favorite Fall Desserts
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- S'mores Coffee Pie
- Easy Pecan Pie
- Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookie Bars
- Pumpkin Pie
- Chocolate Cinnamon Pound Cake
Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 10 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 box yellow cake mix (about 15 oz.)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup unsalted butter , melted
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel topping
- whipped topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs and spices. Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix and pecans evenly over pumpkin mixture. Drizzle butter evenly over top.
- Bake 1 hour or until browned on top. Serve warm with ice cream and caramel.
- Store leftovers in fridge and reheat single pieces in microwave.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only and only includes cake without ice cream and toppings.