Stars and Stripes Biscuit Donuts is a fun 4th of July recipe using canned biscuits. Learn how to make donuts the easy way!
Remember my Easy Canned Biscuit Donuts post a few weeks ago? I’m back with the same recipe to remind you how easy it is to make donuts at home using refrigerated biscuits. This time, we are decorating them with patriotic sprinkles and red, white and blue M&M’s. This recipe for Stars and Stripes Biscuit Donuts is a fun 4th of July breakfast your kids can help decorate!
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
There is not much to say about this recipe because you can read how to make these donuts in my original post. Stock up on red, white and blue M&M’s (I get the big tub at Sam’s Club) and patriotic sprinkles. After I photographed these donuts, I found patriotic star sprinkles that would be perfect on these donuts!
Ingredients for this recipe
Grocery List for Stars and Stripes Biscuit Donuts
- Vegetable oil (frying oil)
- Refrigerated biscuit dough
- White frosting
- Patriotic sprinkles
- Red, white and blue M&M’s
Click here for the full recipe ingredients and instructions.
This recipe makes whole donuts and donut holes. They both are easily decorated to fit the holiday. Use a tub of store-bought frosting — I recommend the vanilla fluffy marshmallow flavor if you can find it! SO delicious!
Easy donut recipe
This recipe is the easiest you’ll find for making donuts at home. Unwrap the dough and use a biscuit cutter to cut out the center (which creates the donut hole). Heat about 3 inches deep of oil and fry those bad boys for only a minute on each side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess grease. Once cool enough, decorate!
Your kids will love getting in the kitchen with you to help make these. It’s not only fun for kids but adults and teenagers, too! Why not pick up a few tubes of biscuit dough and make a bunch for all your Independence Day guests to gather together and decorate their own?!
Red, White and Blue M&M’s
Every year, about a month before the 4th of July, I pick up a large tub of red, white and blue M&M’s from Sam’s Club. I use them to make snack mix (coming soon), my M&M cookie bars, and these donuts. (If you haven’t made the cookie bars, yet, I highly suggest you do!)
It may seem like a big amount, but you can use them up pretty quickly with other treats like cupcakes, ice cream sundaes, other favorite M&M cookies, sprinkle in your popcorn, and more.
Tools to help
My favorite tools to use for making these donuts are my candy thermometer, Dutch oven, and biscuit cutter. I use all three of these for this recipe and others. In fact, I use my Dutch oven a few times a week!
To spread the icing, you can use any knife. But, I find it really helpful to use a offset spatula. The angle allows an easier spread.
Other Red, White and Blue Recipes
- Red, White and Blue Angel Food Cake
- Red, White and Blue M&M Cookie Bars
- Red, White and Blue Slushies
- Red, White and Blue Popsicles
Stars and Stripes Biscuit Donuts
- frying oil
- 8 count canned biscuits
- desired toppings (sprinkles, tub frosting, M&M's etc.)
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a deep heavy duty pot to 360°F.
- Remove biscuits from can and separate onto cutting board. Use a small biscuit cutter or soda cap to cut holes in the center of each biscuit.
- Fry whole donut dough and donut holes in batches, typically about 1 minute per side. Flip using tongs.
- Remove from oil to paper towel lined plate to drain excess grease.
- Decorate as desired.
- Nutritional information is an estimation only based on 4 cups of oil and undecorated donuts.
- Allow to cool slightly before frosting.
- Top with sprinkles or M&M's immediately after applying frosting before frosting hardens.