This layered cake is an easy red, white and blue dessert you can make quickly with a store-bought angel food cake. The filling is simply a mixture of strawberries, mini marshmallows and Cool Whip then sprinkled with blueberries. You will love this light and fluffy angel cake!
If you are looking for an easy 4th of July dessert, look no further than this red, white and blue angel food cake. It will appear it took hours make, but the only hours for this recipe include the finished cake sitting in the fridge. This cake comes together within minutes!
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
5 Ingredient Recipe
All you need for this layered cake is a store-bought angel food cake and a few other simple items. Gather these ingredients:
Grocery List for Red, White and Blue Cake
- Angel food cake (store-bought, or homemade)
- Fresh strawberries (1 lb.)
- Fresh blueberries (2 cups)
- Cool Whip (8 oz. tub)
- Mini marshmallows (10 oz. bag)
You can add more or less fruit as you like. If you want even thicker filling within the layers, you can use more Cool Whip and fruit. Prefer to make your own whipped cream? No problem.
Light and Fluffy Cake
This cake is super light and fluffy, which is PERFECT for a summer celebration. It's a refreshingly fruity dessert. The addition of the marshmallows makes each bite an extra sweet surprise. Kids will especially love it.
This is one of my family's favorite summer desserts. We typically have it without the blueberries, but it's fun to add them in for a patriotic dessert.
How to make layered cake
- Slice cake into 3 layers (2 horizontal slices with a large serrated knife)
- Mash the strawberries in a bowl and fold in the Cool Whip.
- Spread a small amount of strawberry frosting on bottom cake layer then sprinkle with blueberries.
- Place middle cake layer over bottom layer and spread more frosting on top and sprinkle more berries.
- Place top layer on cake.
- Mix the mini marshmallows into the remaining strawberry frosting.
- Cover cake with the strawberry marshmallow frosting.
- Top with more strawberries and blueberries and optional mint for garnish.
Click here for the full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Be sure to serve this cake cold for the most refreshing taste. I know you will love it! Every slice is a beautiful presentation and it is so easy to make. It really can't get any better than that.
Other Easy 4th of July Recipes
- Red White and Blue M&M Cookie Bars
- All-American Root Beer Float Sundaes
- Patriotic Pops
- Red White and Blue Skewers
Red White and Blue Angel Food Cake
- 1 lb fresh strawberries , washed, dried, hulled and diced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional)
- 8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed in fridge
- 2 cups fresh blueberries , washed and dried
- 1 angel food cake (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- additional strawberries for top garnish , sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the strawberries and sugar. Let rest 10 minutes then lightly mash. (Alternatively, mash strawberries without sugar.) Fold in the Cool Whip; set aside.
- Remove cake from package and invert onto serving platter. Use a large serrated knife to slice cake in three layers. Remove top two layers and spread a layer of strawberry mixture over bottom layer of cake. Sprinkle with one-third of the blueberries. Top with middle cake layer and spread more mixture and one-third blueberries on second layer. Place remaining cake layer on top.
- Fold marshmallows into remaining strawberry mixture in bowl. Evenly spread over outer edges of cake until fully covered. Top with additional slices of strawberries and the remaining blueberries. Optional: garnish with mint leaves.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving so the marshmallows have time to soak in the juices. Slice and serve cold.
- Nutritional information is an estimate only.
- For cleaner presentation, slide pieces of wax paper under edges of cake while filling and frosting, then remove when done.
Hungry for more?
Sign up to receive an email each time I have a new recipe or
follow me on Instagram or Facebook for behind the scenes!