Homemade Italian sausage is so easy using just ground pork and a few spices from your pantry. Use in any recipe calling for ground Italian sausage!
Ingredients for this recipe
You simply need ground pork and a few spices. Gather these ingredients:
- Ground pork (1 lb)
- Dried parsley
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Fennel seeds
- Red pepper flakes
The best thing about this recipe is you control the flavor. The ingredients listed are for a mild Italian sausage. If you are going for the sweet sausage, add a little sweet basil and a pinch of brown sugar. Want the hot variety? Simply add more red pepper flakes!
How to make this recipe
Again, you will not believe how easy this Italian sausage recipe is! You simply combine the ground pork and spices in a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to mix it, or use your hands. Whatever! Either way, it's super simple and from there you just use as directed by your recipe.
Click here for the full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Cheap to make and better for you
It's been a couple of years now since I've bought pre-made Italian sausage. I only make it this way now because I can control the spices and do not have to worry about any weird ingredients. So many pre-made packages include unnecessary ingredients like dextrose, corn syrup, extra salt, and more.
We originally started making our own Italian sausage from ground pork when doing the Whole30 a few years ago. Because of the extra ingredients in the pre-made store-bought kind, Italian sausage is only Whole30 compliant if you make it yourself. I'm sure there is a compliant one out there but costs a premium! This particular recipe is super cheap since 1lb. of ground pork at my grocery store is always less than $2.00!
How can I use this sausage?
This Italian sausage is great in a variety of dishes like lasagna, soups, pastas, sauces, pizza topping, meatballs, stuffed peppers, etc. You will never want to buy it at the store again!
Can this be stored in the freezer?
Yes! You can most definitely freeze this sausage either cooked or uncooked.
Can I use other meats besides pork?
Absolutely! This recipe works well with ground turkey, chicken, lamb and even a beef/pork combo. Use your favorite!
Hungry for more?
Sign up to receive an email each time I have a new recipe or
follow me on Instagram or Facebook for behind the scenes!
Italian Sausage Recipe
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds , crushed (I use my hands)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes , more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter , for cooking
- Place ground pork in a large bowl; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together all spices then sprinkle over top the pork. Use a wooden spoon or your hands to thoroughly mix until evenly combined.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Brown sausage until cooked through and use as desired. Or, cook as directed in your recipe.
- For hot Italian sausage, use more red pepper flakes.
- For sweet Italian sausage, omit red pepper flakes and add 1/2 teaspoon sweet dried basil and a pinch of brown sugar.
- Nutritional information is an estimation only.