This queso dip is the BEST recipe for white cheese dip and is a copycat from your favorite Mexican restaurant. Only 4 ingredients and 5 minutes for the EASIEST and most authentic queso blanco dip recipe.
White Cheese Dip is everyone's favorite Mexican appetizer. Get your tortilla chips ready for dipping, or drizzle the white queso dip over your favorite Mexican dishes. My recipe is so easy, it all comes together within 5 minutes in the microwave, then you can keep the queso warm in a small crock pot. Everyone LOVES my recipe for white cheese dip!
White Cheese Dip Recipe
My recipe for queso blanco uses only 4 ingredients and you can have it done in 5 minutes! Here's what you need to make the best queso dip:
- White American cheese -- yes, this is the kind of cheese used in the Mexican restaurants for white cheese dip.
- Milk -- or you can use half and half or whipping cream for a thicker creamier dip, and/or add up to 1/2 cup of water to make it more runny.
- Green chiles -- from a can and gives the white cheese dip an extra kick!
- Pickled jalapeños -- I typically use the canned variety, and make sure to stir in some of the juices for a little more flavor.
What Kind of Cheese Is Used in Mexican Restaurants?
When developing and testing this white queso dip, I quickly made up my mind to start with the recipe a reader shared from her restaurant since it seemed the most promising. It didn't call for authentic (good quality) Mexican cheese as some of the other readers suggested. Instead, the Mexican restaurants use ONLY white American cheese and very few other ingredients. The original queso dip recipe I tested also used white American cheese, and added shredded Monterey Jack. I didn't love that recipe and thought it needed something more. What I didn't expect was that it really needed a bit of something less!
How to Make White Cheese Dip
You are going to love how easy this is to put together, especially because you do not shred the cheese and you can serve it in the bowl in which it was prepared. Only one dirty dish! The original instructions were for large restaurant quantities and used restaurant equipment I do not have, nor am I even familiar with.
Aiming for the easiest method, I took the ingredient list, sliced it in half and decided to throw it all into the microwave. Worked like a charm! After five minutes in the microwave (stirring after every minute) the cheese was completely melted and perfectly runny. After letting it set for a few minutes, the dip did thicken a little bit, but not nearly as much as the other recipe from last year.
(Hand model courtesy of my two-year old son.)
To make white queso dip, follow the easy steps below:
- Cut the block of American cheese into cubes. Microwave cheese with milk (and water, optional) for 5 minutes on high, stirring every 1 minute.
- Remove bowl from the microwave and stir in the chiles and jalepeños.
- Serve immediately by dipping tortillas or drizzling over your Mexican dish. Or transfer to small crock pot to keep warm during a party.
Scroll down for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Queso Blanco Dip Tips and Tricks:
Find white American cheese in the deli department. My preference is Land o' Lakes brand that you should be able to find in most stores in the deli area. If you cannot find it, I've had great success with Boar's Head, too. Other brands should work just fine, too, so don't give up if you can't find these two.
Substitute half and half for milk and water. The final texture may be different (thicker or more runny) but will taste just as delicious! I sometimes use just half and half, and sometimes I add in up to 1/2 cup water to make a runnier dip. You can also use a can of evaporated milk.
Canned pickled jalapeños. Find canned jalapenos in the ethnic aisle of your grocery store. This is also where you can find the green chiles. A jar of jalapenos works here, too.
Crock pot white cheese dip. You can make this white cheese dip in the crock pot. Place all ingredients in a small crock pot and heat on low for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Once it's ready, lower the heat setting to warm. No fuss, no mess!
Adjust the spice. The amount of heat can be adjusted to your preference. For me, I added an extra pickled jalapeno and it was exactly the temperature we wanted (reflected in the recipe card).
Stir in other ingredients. Toss in other ingredients, like diced tomatoes and sausage bits!. However, if you are someone who is in search for the runny white cheese dip you enjoy in the restaurants, then I highly recommend you just start with the basic and very simple recipe below. I'm confident you will be pleased.
Mexican recipes to serve with queso blanco dip
- Ground Beef Wet Burritos
- Chipotle Shredded Pork Enchiladas
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Easy Mexican Rice
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Printable recipe is below, video is above. Leave a comment and/or a star rating to let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Mexican Restaurant White Cheese Dip
- 1 lb white American cheese , cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water , optional for a thinner dip
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 pickled jalapenos (from a can) , chopped
- 1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice (from the can)
- pinch of cumin (optional)
- Combine the cheese cubes and milk (and optional water) into a large glass microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring every minute. The mixture might seem watery during the first few stirs, but will come together as a nice runny dip after all the cheese is melted. Remove from the microwave and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve immediately as a dip with tortilla chips or as a sauce over your favorite Mexican dish. If using for a party dip, keep warm in a small Crock Pot.
Crock Pot Method:
- Combine all ingredients in a small Crock Pot. Set on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Once melted, reduce setting to warm.
- Store any leftover cheese dip in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until creamy and hot.
- White American cheese is found at most deli counters in your local grocery store. Land o' Lakes is my preferred brand, however, I have had great results with Boar's Head, too.
- For a runnier dip, add up to 1/2 cup water with the cheese and milk. For a thicker and creamier dip, use 1 cup half and half instead of the milk and water.
- If after 5 minutes in the microwave your cheese is not all melted, give it an additional 30 seconds and stir again. Repeat until melted, up to 1 additional minute. You may also use a wire whisk if clumps remain.
Hungry for more?
Sign up to receive an email each time I have a new recipe or
follow me on Instagram or Facebook for behind the scenes!
This white cheese dip recipe was originally published 11/30/2011 and updated on 6/17/2019 with a video and new additional photos. Updated again on 1/21/2020 with additional recipe tips.