This white queso cheese dip is a copycat recipe from your favorite Mexican restaurant. Only 4 ingredients and 5 minutes. SO easy!!
Mexican white cheese dip is everyone's favorite Mexican restaurant dip. This recipe is tried and true for years and is the original one that's taken the Internet by storm! It comes together within 5 minutes in the microwave. Everyone LOVES my recipe for white cheese dip and is one of my biggest requests from friends! Get your tortilla chips ready for dipping, or drizzle the homemade queso over your favorite Mexican-style dishes.
Original Mexican Restaurant Cheese Dip Recipe
Let's start by telling you, this is NOT Velveeta! When developing and testing this white cheese dip recipe YEARS ago, I started with a recipe a reader shared from her restaurant because it seemed the most promising. It didn't call for expensive Mexican cheese as some of the other readers suggested. Instead, the Mexican restaurants here use ONLY white American cheese.
Aiming for the easiest method, I took the ingredient list, sliced it in half and decided to throw it all into the microwave in my trusty batter bowl. Worked like a charm! After five minutes in the microwave (stirring after every minute) the cheese was completely melted and perfectly runny. It thickens a little after cooling a bit, but not nearly as much as other recipes I've tried.
White Queso Dip Ingredients
(full printable recipe at end of this post)
My recipe uses only 4 ingredients and you can have it done in 5 minutes! Here's what you need to make the best queso blanco dip.
What you need:
- White American cheese -- This is the kind of cheese used in the Mexican restaurants for white cheese dip believe it or not! I verified with the sources.
- Milk -- You can substitute with half and half or whipping cream for a thicker creamier dip, and/or add up to ½ cup of water to make it more runny. Evaporated milk works here, too.
- Green chiles -- These are from a can and give the white cheese dip an extra kick! Use more or less to taste.
- Pickled jalapeños -- I typically use the canned or jarred variety, and make sure to stir in some of the juices for a little more flavor.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Scroll down to the recipe for the step-by-step video and detailed instructions. The general steps are as follows:
- Cut the block of white American cheese into cubes. Microwave cheese with milk (and water, optional) for 5 minutes on high, stirring every 1 minute.
- Remove bowl from the microwave and stir in the chilis and jalapeños.
- Serve immediately by dipping tortillas or drizzling over your Mexican dish. Or transfer to small crock pot to keep warm during a party.
You will love how easy this recipe is, especially because you do not shred the cheese and you can serve it in the bowl in which it was prepared. Only one dirty dish!
- Crock pot white cheese dip. You can make this white queso recipe in the crock pot. Place all ingredients in a small crock pot and heat on low for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Once it's ready, lower the heat setting to warm. No fuss, no mess!
- Adjust the spice. The amount of heat can be adjusted to your preference. For me, I added an extra pickled jalapeno and it was exactly the temperature we wanted (reflected in the recipe card).
- Stir in other ingredients. Toss in other ingredients, like diced tomatoes and sausage bits! However, if you are someone who is in search for the runny white cheese dip you enjoy in the restaurants, then I highly recommend you just start with the basic and very simple recipe below. I'm confident you will be pleased.
How to store leftover white cheese dip
Store any cheese dip that is left in an airtight container in the fridge.
How to reheat white cheese dip
Reheat white cheese dip in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until thoroughly melted.
How long does cheese dip keep in refrigerator?
When stored properly, this Mexican cheese dip will keep in your fridge for up to 1 week.
Where can I find White American cheese?
My preference is Land o' Lakes brand that you should be able to find in most stores in the deli area. If you cannot find it, I've had great success with Boar's Head, too. Other brands should work just fine, too, so don't give up if you can't find these two.
Can I substitute half and half for milk and water?
The final texture may be different (thicker or more runny) but will taste just as delicious! I sometimes use just half and half, and sometimes I add in up to ½ cup water to make a runnier dip. You can also use a can of evaporated milk.
Where can I find pickled jalapeños?
Find canned or jarred jalapenos in the ethnic aisle of your grocery store. This is also where you can find the green chiles.
Not only is this a dip, but these Mexican recipes go great with white cheese dip drizzled over them or incorporated into the dish.
- Ground Beef Wet Burritos
- Chipotle Shredded Pork Enchiladas
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Easy Mexican Rice
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- One Pot Taco Bowls
- Walking Tacos
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
Made this Recipe?
Leave a star rating and tag me on Instagram @seededtable so I can see. I love hearing from you!
This white cheese dip recipe was originally published November 2011 and most recently updated February 2021.
White Queso Cheese Dip (5 Minute Recipe!)
- 1 lb white American cheese , cut into cubes
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup water , optional for a thinner dip
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 pickled jalapenos (from a can or jar) , chopped
- 1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice (from the can or jar)
- pinch of cumin (optional)
- Combine the cheese cubes and milk (and optional water) into a large glass microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring every minute. The mixture might seem watery during the first few stirs, but will come together as a nice runny dip after all the cheese is melted. Remove from the microwave and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve immediately as a dip with tortilla chips or as a sauce over your favorite Mexican dish. If using for a party dip, keep warm in a small Crock Pot.
Crock Pot Method:
- Combine all ingredients in a small Crock Pot. Set on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Once melted, reduce setting to warm.
- Store any leftover cheese dip in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until creamy and hot.
- White American cheese is found at most deli counters in your local grocery store. Land o' Lakes is my preferred brand, however, I have had great results with Boar's Head, too.
- For a runnier dip, add up to ½ cup water with the cheese and milk. For a thicker and creamier dip, use 1 cup half and half instead of the milk and water.
- If after 5 minutes in the microwave your cheese is not all melted, give it an additional 30 seconds and stir again. Repeat until melted, up to 1 additional minute. You may also use a wire whisk if clumps remain.