A walking taco is taco meat in a bag of Fritos or Doritos with all your favorite toppings. A fun party food! Everyone fixes their own and walks around eating from the delicious bag in their hands.
Taco night can get boring with the same routine, but when you serve it in a bag of chips it's fun for everyone! Try this walking taco recipe as a fun family dinner idea or for your next party.
👩🏽🍳 What is a Walking Taco?
A walking taco is a taco in a bag. It's simply taco meat placed in a small bag of chips (usually Fritos or Doritos) and served individually so everyone can add their own favorite taco toppings. The "walking" part insinuates you can walk around eating your taco in a bag making it the perfect party food.
I found Sam's Club as the best place to buy individual Frito bags. (You want 1 oz. bags.) They had the best price and quantity, but it does include a mixture of Doritos as well. I like this because we use both. If you want a large quantity of Frito bags only, this choice on Amazon is good.
💭 Is Walking Taco The Same As Frito Pie?
You might hear some people call this Frito pie, especially when using chili meat instead of taco meat. I use both, depending on what I feel like making. When I have leftover chili or taco soup, I might decide to use the leftovers and serve this for dinner another night that week. But, if I am specifically planning to make walking tacos, then I'll use my favorite taco meat recipe.
📋 How to Prepare a Walking Taco Bar
This is one of the easiest party dinner ideas! Follow the tips below for preparing this at your next party:
- Cook a large batch of taco meat for a crowd and leave in a slow cooker or on low heat setting on stove.
- Set out various taco toppings (see below) in individual bowls with serving utensils.
- Place individual sized bags of Fritos and Doritos (both original and Cool Ranch flavors) in a basket at the beginning of the food table. (Cut the top off the bags ahead of time to make it easier for your guests.)
- Tell everyone to grab a bag of chips, then spoon in some of the meat and their choice of toppings.
- Make sure they all have forks!
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
🌮 Toppings Ideas
Some taco fixins we recommend:
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced avocado
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese (cheddar, pepperjack, Mexican flavors, etc)
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced onions
- Fresh cilantro
- White cheese dip
You certainly do not need to set out all of these toppings. Choose your favorites!
🥑 What to Serve with Walking Tacos
Try some of our other favorite Mexican recipes:
- Easy Mexican Rice
- Mexican Black Beans
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Mexican Brownie Bottom Cheesecake
- Mexican Corn Salad
- 7-Layer Tex Mex Dip
For the ground beef taco meat:
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 packets taco seasoning (or 4 tablespoons of your favorite taco seasoning)
- 2/3 cup water or beef broth
- 12 individual bags of Fritos and Doritos
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- diced avocado
- diced onions
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- white cheese dip (try this recipe)
- fresh cilantro
For the taco meat:
- Brown beef in a medium skillet over medium high heat; drain. Add taco seasoning with water (or broth), let simmer 10 minutes. Keep warm over low heat or transfer to small crock pot.
- Set out desired toppings in separate small serving bowls with serving utensils. Cut tops off chip bags. Instruct guests to grab an open bag of chips and fill with taco meat and desired toppings, then eat out of the bag with a fork.
- This recipe includes instructions and ingredients for ground beef taco meat, but feel free to substitute with your favorite taco meat (chicken, barbacoa, pork, etc.).
- Instead of taco meat, try using leftover chili!
- Use your favorite taco toppings from the list, or any that are not listed.
- Nutrition information is an estimate of the taco meat only. Will vary depending on types of chips used, amount of meat added to bag, and toppings chosen.