Our easy Crockpot Chicken Tacos recipe uses only 3 ingredients! You can use this shredded chicken in tacos, enchiladas, burritos, salads and more!
Every family should have go-to recipes that are easy, convenient and makes a ton to freeze for leftovers. This 3-Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos recipe fits all three of those! EASY, because you just dump the ingredients into the slow cooker. CONVENIENT, because it's only three simple ingredients and because it makes SO MUCH you have leftover shredded chicken for days or can FREEZE to use later.
About This Recipe
We use this recipe for shredded chicken tacos, enchiladas, taco salads, burritos, burrito bowls, nachos... the list goes on! Add this one to your Cinco de Mayo menu since it is so easy!
You can make a ton of tacos from this slow cooker shredded chicken. We've hosted taco night for just our family, as well as for a crowd using this Mexican shredded chicken taco meat.
Ingredients for Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Look at this SHORT list of what you need, y'all!
- Chicken breasts - I use around 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts in a 7 quart slow cooker.
- Taco seasoning - All you need is 1 packet of store-bought taco seasoning, or 2 tablespoons of homemade.
- Salsa - Use your favorite jar of salsa! I prefer a roasted red salsa but you can use green, too.
(Full printable recipe at end of this post.)
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Scroll to the bottom of this post for a full recipe card and step-by-step video on how to make crockpot chicken tacos. The general steps are as follows:
- Start with skinless boneless chicken breasts. I use around 3 lbs which is typically about 4-6 chicken breasts.
- Trim the chicken quickly with kitchen shears and place in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle a packet of taco seasoning over chicken.
- Pour a 16 oz. jar of salsa over top.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks in the slow cooker and mix with the juices.
- Serve in taco shells with toppings, or use the seasoned cooked chicken in any Mexican dish!
Can I Make Chicken Tacos in an Instant Pot?
You can definitely make this shredded chicken tacos recipe in an Instant Pot using the same ingredients. Just combine the three ingredients and pressure cook for 30 minutes. Shred the chicken and mix with the juices, it's done!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use homemade taco seasoning?
Yes! This recipe sticks to only three ingredients with the use of taco seasoning packets, however, I often use my own homemade taco seasoning so I can control the salt. In a pinch when I might've run out of my jar of homemade seasoning, I usually always have a taco seasoning packet on hand to use!
It's still really delicious with taco seasoning packets, but I have included instructions below should you want to use a homemade taco seasoning or simply do not have a taco seasoning packet on hand.
Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
For this recipe, you are adding raw chicken to the crockpot. The chicken will cook thoroughly.
Share a meal: This is the PERFECT dish to take to a family in need of a meal. Place the shredded chicken taco meat in a foil pan and send it along with a side of my Easy Mexican Rice, tortillas and all the fixin's for tacos (lettuce, sour cream, salsa, and cheese).
Side Dishes with Crockpot Chicken Tacos
What to Serve for Dessert
More Recipes for Cinco de Mayo
If you love Mexican-style food, try these other easy Mexican recipes!
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Seven Layer Tex-Mex Dip
- Beef Tacos
- Cinnamon Chocolate Pound Cake
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Enchilada Lasagna
- Mexican Egg Skillet
This article was originally published April 2019 and updated April 2022 with no changes to the recipe.
Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- 3 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 5 chicken breasts)
- 1 (1 oz.) packet taco seasoning (or 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning)
- 16 oz. jar salsa (use your favorite)
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle evenly with taco seasoning.
- Top evenly with salsa.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred chicken while still in the slow cooker bowl and toss in the juices.
- Serve in taco shells with desired fixins, or use the shredded chicken for enchiladas, burritos, salads, soup, etc.
- Use this shredded chicken in various Mexican-style dishes, like enchiladas, tacos, salads, burritos and more!
- This is a great meal to take to a family in need! See blog post for tips.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only and values will vary based on type and brand of ingredients used, as well as preparation methods.