Our easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos recipe has only 3 ingredients! You can use this shredded chicken in tacos, enchiladas, burritos, salads and more!
Every family should have go-to recipes that are easy, convenient and makes a ton to freeze for leftovers. This 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos recipe fits all three of those! EASY, because you just dump the ingredients into the slow cooker. CONVENIENT, because it's only 3 simple ingredients and because it makes SO MUCH you have leftovers for days or can FREEZE to use later.
📖 About this Recipe
We use this recipe for shredded chicken tacos, enchiladas, taco salads, burritos, burrito bowls, nachos... the list goes on! Add this one to your Cinco de Mayo menu since it is so easy!
You can make a ton of tacos from this slow cooker shredded chicken. We've hosted taco night for just our family, as well as for a crowd using this Mexican shredded chicken taco meat.
🧂 Ingredient List
Look at this SHORT list of ingredients, y'all!
Grocery list for slow cooker chicken tacos:
- Chicken breasts - I use around 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts in a 7 quart slow cooker.
- Taco seasoning - All you need is 1 packet of store-bought taco seasoning, or 2 tablespoons of homemade.
- Salsa - Use your favorite jar of salsa! I prefer a roasted red salsa but you can use green, too.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
🍴 Serving Suggestions
Share a meal: This is the PERFECT dish to take to a family in need of a meal. Place the shredded chicken taco meat in a foil pan and send it along with a side of my Easy Mexican Rice, tortillas and all the fixin's for tacos (lettuce, sour cream, salsa, and cheese).
🌮 How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
For a quick guideline, watch the video tutorial attached to the recipe card. The general steps are as follows:
- Start with skinless boneless chicken breasts. I use around 3 lbs which is typically about 4-6 chicken breasts.
- Trim the chicken quickly with kitchen shears and place in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle a packet of taco seasoning over chicken.
- Pour a 16 oz. jar of salsa over top.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks in the slow cooker and mix with the juices.
- Serve in taco shells with toppings, or use the seasoned cooked chicken in any Mexican dish!
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for detailed ingredients and instructions.
💬 Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make shredded chicken tacos in an instant pot?
You can definitely make this shredded chicken tacos recipe in an Instant Pot using the same ingredients. Just combine the 3 ingredients and pressure cook for 30 minutes. Shred the chicken and mix with the juices, it's done!
Can I use homemade taco seasoning?
Yes! This recipe sticks to only 3 ingredients with the use of taco seasoning packets, however, I often use my own homemade taco seasoning so I can control the salt. In a pinch when I might've run out of my jar of homemade seasoning, I usually always have a taco seasoning packet on hand to use!
It's still really delicious with taco seasoning packets, but I have included instructions below should you want to use a homemade taco seasoning or simply do not have a taco seasoning packet on hand.
🌯 More Recipes for Cinco de Mayo
If you love Mexican-style food, try these other recipes!
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Seven Layer Tex-Mex Dip
- Beef Tacos
- Cinnamon Chocolate Pound Cake
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Enchilada Lasagna
- Mexican Egg Skillet
This recipe was originally published April 2019 and updated April 2021 with new recipe tips.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 3 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 5 chicken breasts)
- 1 (1 oz.) packet taco seasoning (or 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning)
- 16 oz. jar salsa (use your favorite)
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle evenly with taco seasoning.
- Top evenly with salsa.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred chicken while still in the slow cooker bowl and toss in the juices.
- Serve in taco shells with desired fixins, or use the shredded chicken for enchiladas, burritos, salads, soup, etc.
- Use this shredded chicken in various Mexican-style dishes, like enchiladas, tacos, salads, burritos and more!
- This is a great meal to take to a family in need! See blog post for tips.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only and values will vary based on type/brand of ingredients used.