The easiest Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos with only 3 ingredients! You can use this tasty Mexican shredded chicken in tacos, enchiladas, burritos, salads and more! Healthy and simple!
Every family should have go-to recipes that are easy, convenient and makes a ton to freeze for leftovers. This 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Taco recipe fits all three of those! EASY, because you just dump everything in the Crock Pot. CONVENIENT, because it’s only 3 simple ingredients and because it makes SO MUCH you have leftovers for days or can FREEZE to use later.
Mexican Shredded Chicken for Cinco de Mayo
We use this shredded Mexican chicken for tacos, enchiladas, taco salads, burritos, burrito bowls, nachos… the list goes on! Add this one to your Cinco de Mayo menu since it is so easy!
Try these other recipes for Cinco de Mayo:
Take a Meal to a Family
This is the PERFECT dish to take to a family in need of a meal. Place the cooked shredded chicken in a foil pan and send it along with a side of my Easy Mexican Rice, tortillas and all the fixin’s for tacos (lettuce, sour cream, salsa, and cheese).
How to Make Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
To make this easy Mexican shredded chicken in the slow cooker, follow these simple steps:
- Start with skinless boneless chicken breasts. I use around 3 lbs which is typically about 5-6 chicken breasts.
- Trim the chicken quickly with kitchen shears and place in the bowl of the Crock Pot.
- Sprinkle one or two packets of taco seasoning over chicken (depending on your desired level of spice).
- Lastly, pour a 16 oz. jar of salsa over top.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
That’s it!! Isn’t that SO easy!??
Can I Make Mexican shredded chicken in an Instant Pot?
You can definitely make this Mexican shredded chicken in an Instant Pot using the same ingredients. Just combine the 3 ingredients and pressure cook for 30 minutes. Shred the chicken and mix with the juices, it’s done!
Can I Use Homemade Taco Seasoning?
You can use homemade taco seasoning to make Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos. This recipe sticks to only 3 ingredients with the use of taco seasoning packets, however, I typically use my own concoction of spices from my pantry so I can control the salt.
It’s still really delicious with taco seasoning packets, but I have included instructions and a list of ingredients below should you want to use a homemade taco seasoning or simply do not have a taco seasoning packet on hand.
Other Recipes to Serve with Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 3 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 5 chicken breasts)
- 1 (1 oz.) package taco seasoning, or 2 packages if you want more spice (or use homemade taco seasoning...noted below)
- 16 oz. jar salsa (use your favorite)
If using homemade taco seasoning:
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes (or more salsa)
- sliced avocados or guacamole
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle evenly with taco seasoning. Top with salsa.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours. Shred chicken and toss in the juices. Serve in taco shells with desired fixins, or use the chicken for enchiladas, burritos, salads, soup, etc.
If using homemade taco seasoning:
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and use as directed for taco seasoning step.
Pin to your favorite recipe board!