Throw it all in the slow cooker and let this tortilla soup cook through the day. In the last few minutes before serving, bake up some crispy tortilla strips for the win!
January is the month where we all resolve to be more healthy and try to detox from the consumption of Christmas cookies and too much celebratory alcohol. But, in December, although I was definitely eating my fair share of sweets and treats, I was being somewhat good in the dinner category. My friend, Nicole, helped me with this.
I bought Nicole’s cookbook, Prevention RD’s Everyday Healthy Cooking, this summer but really dove into it last month when wanting to make a few dishes that were more on the lighter side and balance out the holiday feasting. The weather’s cold even in Mississippi and I wanted the comfort food aspect, so I chose to make her recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Throwing everything into a slow cooker and forgetting about it until the last few minutes is the way to go! I also enjoyed baking my own tortilla strips, which is easy as can be! Try it, you’ll feel proud of this simple accomplishment and feel good about the food you’re eating. 🙂
P.S. – Want to hear more about my day to day schedule? Head on over to Rachel Cooks where she’s featuring me in her “A Day in the Life” series today! 🙂
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1.25 to 1.75 lbs boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion , peeled and chopped
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1 clove garlic , minced or pressed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (15 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 to 2 chipotles in adobo sauce (from a can), minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 6 corn tortillas
- Oil spray
- Handful of cilantro , chopped
- Sour Cream
- Shredded cheese
- Combine all of the ingredients listed, through the bay leaf, in a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- When there is about 20 minutes left before serving, prepare the tortilla strips. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray each side of the tortillas with the oil spray, sprinkle with a small about of salt (optional). Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice each tortilla in half, then into 1/2-inch strips. Layer on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven, turning frequently, for 5-8 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While the tortillas are baking, remove the cover from the slow cooker and discard the bay leaf. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir in the cilantro. Serve soup in individual bowls, topped with the tortilla strips and other optional toppings.
- Recipe Source: Prevention RD's Everyday Healthy Cooking