This sausage gnocchi recipe is a delicious weeknight meal bursting with Italian flavors the whole family will enjoy!
My whole family loves this sausage gnocchi recipe. In just 20 minutes you can have this "fancy" dinner on your table with no fuss. Serve alone or with dinner rolls and a side salad to round out the meal.
About This Recipe
Years ago, my mom went through serious health issues. Long story short, after seeing many specialists, an answer was found and she was healed! During her first visit to us after she was better, she wanted to make us dinner and this gnocchi recipe is what she made. So, it holds a special place in my heart because after years of her being sick, it was such a blessing that she was able to cook!
The ingredient list is not long. You can find everything you need at your basic grocery store. Here's what you need to make this gnocchi recipe.
Grocery list for sausage gnocchi:
- Potato gnocchi - Grab a 16 oz. package. Find this is your pasta aisle at any grocery store. I like using the smaller ones for this recipe, but any size will do.
- Italian sausage - You need 1 lb. of ground Italian sausage, mild, hot or sweet all work! If you can't find ground sausage and only the links, grab them and just remove the casings before cooking. You can also buy ground pork and use spices on hand to make this easy recipe for homemade Italian sausage.
- Sun-dried tomatoes - A 6-7 ounce jar is all you need. Do not drain.
- Garlic - Mince up 3 cloves, or use the jarred minced garlic like I do!
- Baby spinach - FRESH baby spinach only please! Grab a 6 oz. bag from the produce section.
- Parmesan - I like to use the freshly grated when I can, but a canister of already grated (like Kraft) is also fine. You need ½ cup.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for full detailed instructions. The general steps for are as follows:
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in large skillet.
- Add garlic and tomatoes to skillet.
- Add spinach and let wilt.
- Boil gnocchi and add to skillet.
- Stir in Parmesan.
- Serve immediately.
If your gnocchi is already cooked, this is easily a one-pan meal. Otherwise, the only other dish you're dirtying is the pot of boiling water which is easy to clean!
We simply eat this sausage gnocchi with a side salad (my preference here is Caesar) with dinner rolls.
More Easy Italian Recipes
- Simple Spaghetti Sauce
- Baked Italian Crescent Sandwiches
- Biscuit Topped Italian Casserole
- Italian Meatloaf
- Sparkling Italian Lemonade
- Italian Donuts (Zeppole)
Photography by Marie Roffey
Spinach and Sausage Gnocchi
- 16 oz. gnocchi
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 6.7 oz. jar sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Start boiling water in a large pot for cooking gnocchi. Cook gnocchi according to package directions. (While waiting for water to boil, continue with next steps.)
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat. Break into small pieces until cooked through. Add garlic and sundried tomatoes (include oil in jar). Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add spinach to skillet and allow to wilt over low heat.
- As gnocchi floats to top of boiled water, use slotted spoon to transfer to skillet. Stir in Parmesan to the skillet. Serve immediately.