It's JULY! Is it just me, or is this summer already flying by? We're kicking off National Ice Cream month with this explosive cake I made for our neighbors when the husband/daddy was sick and down for the count. With the mom left to care for their 7 kids (yes, you read that right) I thought maybe it was time to take them a meal. I settled on Poppyseed Chicken, rice, corn on the cob and a fun dessert to lift their spirits.
This might look like a little more than complicated, but if you can spare a few minutes to quarter up the ice cream sammies, line them in a springform pan then freeze, you're more than halfway done! The rest is just scooping some softened strawberry ice cream into the center and topping with a layer of melty hot fudge, banana slices, whipped cream and a sprinkling of walnuts. Seriously, can such an impressive cake get much easier than that?? The hard part is eating it quickly enough before it melts! 😉
Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
- 8 ice cream sandwiches
- 1/2 gallon strawberry ice cream , softened
- 1 cup hot fudge sauce
- 2 cups whipped cream topping
- 1 banana , peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup walnuts , chopped
- 1 cherry (optional)
- Place a 9-inch springform pan in the freezer to chill while preparing the next steps. Cut each ice cream sandwiches into quarters (slicing in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise). You will end up with a total of 32 pieces. Transfer the pieces to a wax-paper lined pan, and freeze until firm again. Remove the springform pan and the ice cream sandwiches from the freezer. Line the outer rim of the springform pan with the ice cream sandwiches, arranging them lengthwise. Working quickly, fill the center of the pan with the softened strawberry ice cream. Cover and freeze until very firm, at least 2 hours. This part of the cake can be prepared and frozen for up to 1 week.
- Warm the hot fudge for 20 to 40 seconds in the microwave, then stir to evenly heat. Remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a serving plate. Pour the fudge sauce on the top center of the cake and spread just to the edge of the strawberry ice cream filling. Dollop with the whipped cream, then layer the banana slices around the edge. Garnish with chopped walnuts and top with a cherry. Serve immediately.
- Source: America's Test Kitchen, Best Summer Desserts