This banana split cake is the perfect all-American summer dessert! You will love this easy ice cream sandwich cake!
📖 About This Recipe
I first made this almost 10 years ago for family friends after seeing it in a magazine. It's been in our recipe queue ever since and is a great option for a summer dessert! It looks super impressive but is very easy.
We use ice cream sandwiches, strawberry ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream, bananas and just a couple more ingredients to top it off! Here's a list of the ingredients you need to make this ice cream cake.
Grocery List for Banana Split Cake:
- Ice cream sandwiches - You need eight of the classic size sammies. We'll be slicing them into smaller pieces.
- Strawberry ice cream - Buy your favorite brand and during the first step let it soften. You'll use a half gallon.
- Hot fudge sauce - You'll need 1 cup. This is in a jar, not a bottle.
- Whipped cream - Like Cool Whip or the off brand. This recipe uses 2 cups.
- Banana - A ripened large banana that can be sliced (so not TOO ripe)!
- Chopped walnuts - This is optional, for garnish, but I think it's important for taste and crunch! Use as much or little as you like.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for full detailed instructions. The general steps for are as follows:
- Chill springform pan in freezer.
- Line chilled pan with quartered ice cream sandwiches.
- Fill middle of pan with softened strawberry ice cream.
- Freeze at least 2 hours.
- Remove from pan and top with warmed hot fudge sauce.
- Dollop with whipped cream then layer with bananas along the edge.
- Garnish with walnuts and cherry.
- Slice and serve!
Banana split cake might look complicated, but if you can spare a few minutes to quarter up the ice cream sammies and line them in a springform pan, you're more than halfway done! Then scoop the softened strawberry ice cream into the center and top with the rest of the ingredients. That's it!
Can such an impressive cake get much easier? The hardest part is eating it quickly enough before it melts!
🎂 Recipe Variations
Use different flavors of ice cream sandwiches.
Now that you know how to make a banana split cake, try other variations like switching out the flavor of ice cream sandwiches. I've seen neapolitan, strawberry, chocolate chip, cookies and cream, etc.
Switch the ice cream!
You can also try switching the flavor of ice cream in the middle! Again, neapolitan, cookies and cream, chocolate, mint chocolate chip, the list goes on!
The ideas are endless!
How about adding caramel sauce?? Or, when adding the strawberry ice cream, place another layer of banana slices in the center. So, start with half the strawberry ice cream, layer banana slices, then top with more strawberry ice cream!
There is so much you can do to make this dessert your own style!
🍨 More Frozen Dessert Recipes
- Frozen Strawberry Dessert
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert
- Freezable Lemon Bars
- Peanut Butter Pie
This recipe was originally published July 2, 2012.
Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
- 8 ice cream sandwiches
- 1/2 gallon strawberry ice cream , softened
- 1 cup hot fudge sauce
- 2 cups whipped cream topping
- 1 banana , peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup walnuts , chopped
- 1 cherry (optional)
- Place a 9-inch springform pan in the freezer to chill while preparing the next steps.
- Cut each ice cream sandwich into quarters (slicing in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise). You will end up with a total of 32 pieces. Transfer the pieces to a wax-paper lined pan, and freeze until firm again. Meanwhile, remove strawberry ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for next step.
- Remove the springform pan and the ice cream sandwiches from the freezer. Line the outer rim of the springform pan with the ice cream sandwiches, arranging them lengthwise. Working quickly, fill the center of the pan with the softened strawberry ice cream. Cover and freeze until very firm, at least 2 hours. This part of the cake can be prepared and frozen for up to 1 week.
- Warm the hot fudge for 20 to 40 seconds in the microwave, then stir to evenly heat. Remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a serving plate. Pour the fudge sauce on the top center of the cake and spread just to the edge of the strawberry ice cream filling. Dollop with the whipped cream, then layer the banana slices around the edge. Garnish with chopped walnuts and top with a cherry. Serve immediately.