Pin It Stumble This Tweet This Post Share to Facebook Email this Post Yum

Mexican Street Corn

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponShare on RedditDigg thisEmail this to someoneShare on Yummly

Grilled corn on the cob smothered with a creamy spread and then sprinkled with Mexican spiced cheese topping.

Mexican Street Corn - Mexican style corn on the cob smeared with a creamy spread and sprinkled with a cheesy spiced topping.

It’s Memorial Day weekend and I’m in denial.  Does it seem like it came quickly this year?  Down here, kids are now out of school for the summer.  I never remember being out of school before Memorial Day.  Pretty sure we went well into June, even.

That must be because it’s Mississippi.  It’s hot here, so they let the kids out early and bring them back early August, too.  I guess that’s okay.  When do your kids end school for the summer?

I’m guessing everyone is looking for grilling recipes this weekend.  I have a few favorite ideas featured in my sidebar, but we can always add new ones to the list, right?  This Mexican Street Corn is the best.  I first had it a little over a year ago at one of our favorite local restaurants.  We now make it at home on our grill, because it’s super easy and amazingly flavorful.

Whenever we turn on the grill, Ben asks if we can make this corn.  Does that tell you anything?  😉

What are you up to this Memorial Day weekend?  We have no plans until Monday, when we leave for North Carolina for about 1 1/2 weeks.  We are spending a few days at Wrightsville Beach and then another few days in Winston-Salem.  I want to check out the restaurants, bakeries, etc while there, so please let me know if you have any recommendations!

Mexican Street Corn

Yield: 5 servings

Serving Size: 1 corn cob

Mexican Street Corn

Mexican style corn on the cob, smeared with a creamy spread and sprinkled with a spiced cheese topping.

• 5 ears fresh corn, husked
  • For the Spread:
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 Tablespoons sour cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • Juice from one lime
  • For the Topping:
  • 1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or chili powder if you want heat)
  • Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)

Soak 5 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes. Pierce a skewer halfway into the bottom of each corn cob.

Preheat the grill to medium heat (between 350-450 degrees F).

Place the corn directly over the heat, cover and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes, turning often, until the kernels are spotted brown.

Meanwhile, combine the spread ingredients in a small bowl, and the topping ingredients in another small bowl; set aside.

Carefully remove the corn cob from the grill and transfer to a large platter. Smear the spread all over each corn cob, then sprinkle evenly with the topping. Serve immediately.

Comments

1. I love, love, love corn on the cob! This sounds delicious! I will definitely be trying this next time we fire up the grill.

• Anonymous says:

I was at a huge flea market in Denver Colorado, and I had this for first time ever,, I tried all the toppings, even mayonnaise. it was sooooooooooooo good. I was with a Mexican friend, he and his girlfriend a friend of mine, told me it was a must try, I could have ate more then one that is for sure. very odd combinations but awesome.

• Yes!!! I Would try this. Sounds awesome.

2. My son-in-law’s father is from Mexico, and we have visited a number of times. This corn really is sold on the street, but usually with a sharpened dowel shoved into the end so you can eat it on the stick. It is addictive! By the way, I think you mean COJITO cheese (pronounce co-HEE-toe). If you can get Mexican crema, use that instead of sour cream.

Hi Pat,
      Yes, very addictive! You can see, also, that I use wooden skewers shoved into them to eat on a stick…but sometimes forget to soak them first so they don’t just burn off. haha! Also, the cheese is actually correct as I listed “Cotija”. From what I searched, Cojito is a cocktail drink? :)

• I thought the same thing, but I looked it up too and it is cotija. However, cojito is nothing. Mojito is a Cocktail 😉

• Actually, cojito IS a cocktail, its cuban like a mojito but made with coconut rum rather than white rum.

What can you use if you can’t find cotija cheese?

Hi Laurie,
            Try using Feta.

• Ashleigh Melendez says:

Our family uses Queso Fresco. Its a mexican white crumbly cheese. You can find it at your local grocery store. We buy ours either at the local mexican store OR walmart.

• Anonymous says:

Try “queso fresco” it crumbles easy.

• Papavon says:

I’ve made them with dried Parmesan cheese, as well, with great success.

• Try boiling the corn with salt once it’s boiled wait for it to cool & apply mayonnaise, cheese “queso fresco” & chilli powder thats the original recipe :)

• Anonymous says:

Cojita cheese is named for a city- Cojita, Michoacán. :)

• Anonymous says:

Cojito is s sweet coconut (alcohol) drink

• Anonymous says:

No the author was correct. It’s called Cotija cheese. It’s a crumbly, slightly stinky cheese. I put it in my al pastor tacos and it goes great with refried beans. And yes, creama is awesome! ☺️

3. Corn looks delicious

4. This has to be the best looking corn on the cob ever. Pinned.

5. This looks so amazing & easy! Can’t wait to try it soon!

6. Jennifer says:

While in Winston, I would definitely recommend the Old Salem Tavern. Sweet Potatoes restaurant, or on a different note, Speedy Lohr’s BBQ in Arcadia.

We moved to WS from Mississippi three years ago. Small world!

7. We don’t have cotija cheese around here. What would you recommend as a substitute?

8. Love it! This is what is sold from food trucks and sometimes out of the car trunks here in SoCal. I remember going back to school the first week of Sept..

9. Can’t wait to try this with good ol’ Indiana corn!

10. We had something similar when we were in Mexico, but it was in a clear cup not still on the cob. I LOVED it, very yummy street food! That was many years ago though, maybe they have gotten lazy like the Americans and just leave it on the cob now? who knows, lol

11. CDAMommy says:

They sell this here in Texas at flea markets and sometimes out of the little push carts at the park that also have ice cream and snacks. I’ve had it in a cup, too. Tastes the same, little bit easier and less messy to eat. Corn roasted and cut off the cob, garlic salt, mayo and some time of Mexican cheese, chili powder (I like just a little for the flavor, but not too much heat), and a squeeze of lime juice. Mix it altogether In the cup and enjoy. They also usually have Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on/in it at the flea markets. Gives it a grittier texture and adds to the taste. Never tried cilantro, but I think I will because I love it so much.

12. Crissy says:

The Cotija cheese is very salty, not sure about Feta so maybe added salt as a topper if you are using Feta. I Love the Cotija cheese! Mixed with paprika or chile sounds amazing.

13. Thank u so much been looking on how to make Mexican corn on the cob.

14. Having been to Mexico and purchased street corn: I never had it with a mayonnaise sauce on it.

15. I love this stuff my husband is Mexican and we get it at the Mexican store or one of the events <3

16. Jason j says:

I live in Winston what are you looking for?

Hi Jason,
      This recipe post was from last year, and we have since been in Winston-Salem visiting family a couple of times. I’ve done a post on a few favorite places we found to eat, but always up for more suggestions as we travel there often. We love any type of food, especially locally owned restaurants! :)

17. Lilith Thorensen says:

I am wondeting if anyone has ever tried this because it just doesn’t sound appetizing to me. I mean cheese on corn? Eewww!

18. I don’t like the taste of cilantro so I think I would try green onions.

19. This looks really super good and I’m sure it’s delicious!!! Problem? Have both upper & lower dentures.. result … I can no longer bite into things, like corn on cob or ribs, etc. I f I still grill the cobs cut the kernels off when done how do you suggest I handle the remaining ingredients??? Thanks

Hi Pat, I would just mix it up into a corn salad with the remaining ingredients. So, combine the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl from the corn kernels into a sort of dressing, then pour in the kernels and toss to coat. I’m curious how it turns out for you so please come back and let us know! :)

• Anonymous says:

You just mix it in a bowl with the corn. N y husband is mexican and we eat it in a bowl instead oin the cob

• Anonymous says:

I have dentures too but am fortunate to have a good fit. I’d miss my corn on the cob or candy apples at the fair!!

20. I love it! In chicago the Hispanics use Parkay butter, Mayo, Parmesan cheese & Cayenne pepper. Sometimes a salsa too. Talk about mouth watering!

21. it look so good

22. I think one picture would have been fine. There are 5 pics of the same thing from slightly different angles. Geez.

Hi Slaf, Thank you for taking the time to comment. I’m sorry you are bothered by my photos. I’m a visual person and personally love a lot of photos, so will continue to post as I like on my own site. I will hope next time you’ll have something kind to say.

23. check out any of the restaurants at http://www.liveeatsurf.com when in Wilmington. They make a great version of this corn, and the rest of the menu is terrific also.

24. Amanda L says:

Thanks for the recipe! I was searching Pinterest for a recipe for Mexican Street Corn and yours was the first to come up. It’s funny, because there’s a restaurant near my house that has this corn (the reason for my recipe search) and we’re a few miles from Wrightsville Beach… just where you mentioned going in your post! If you ever head back to Wrightsville Beach, check out Las Olas restaurant and try their corn!

Ha! Thanks, Amanda! We go every other year, so we’ll be there next summer. I’ll have to remember to try Las Olas!

It’s ELOTE you ultra white people!

26. I love your presentation of the elite; beautiful photos!

Just tried this and it’s amazing such good flavour! I substituted the cheese though for smoked apple wood cheddar