Taco pie includes your favorite taco fillings with a corn tortilla crust. An easy Mexican-style dinner the whole family loves!
📖 About This Recipe
I've made this taco pie recipe several times for my family on busy weeknights. Instead of fussing with individual tacos, I like serving taco pie slices then everyone can choose their own toppings!
The corn tortillas in this recipe soften during baking to create a taquito type crust. Use your favorite salsa for the sour cream sauce! Below is a list of ingredients you need to make taco pie.
- Ground beef - I prefer 80/20 for flavor, and drain the excess grease. You need 1 lb for this recipe.
- Onion - Dice up a half onion, I prefer yellow but white will do!
- Taco seasoning - Just 1 oz. packet store-bought, or 2 tablespoons of my homemade recipe.
- Beef broth - This is to keep moisture in the meat mixture. ½ cup is all you need. In a pinch, you can use water.
- Salsa - Use your favorite 1 cup of red salsa because this will be the star of the show!
- Sour cream - 1 cup mixes with the salsa to create a sauce.
- Shredded cheddar - Of course there's cheese! 2 cups, or however much to your liking.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for step-by-step instructions on how to make taco pie. The general steps are as follows:
- Preheat oven and grease pie plate.
- Cook beef and onions in skillet with taco seasoning and beef broth.
- Combine salsa and sour cream to create a sauce; spread ¼ cup in bottom of pie dish.
- Layer half corn tortillas, meat mixture, sauce and cheese; repeat.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Slice and serve!
Easy recipe, right? You really can't mess this one up. If you don't have a pie plate, bake the taco pie in a casserole dish!
🥑 Serving Suggestions
I like to set out your usual taco toppings and let everyone top their slices with their favorites. We use toppings like sliced avocados, more salsa and sour cream, shredded lettuce, diced red onions, diced tomatoes, cilantro, pickled onions, etc.
If you prefer chicken tacos or another type of meat, feel free to replace the meat layer with your favorite taco meat!
📋 Storage and Leftover Tips
The leftovers for taco pie store very well covered in the fridge. I reheat in either the microwave or toaster oven with great results. I have not yet tested freezing this taco pie.
💬 Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use flour tortillas?
Yes, you can substitute flour tortillas for the corn tortillas. Although I typically prefer flour tortillas when eating tacos, for this taco pie I like the added taste and texture of the corn. You could also use Doritos for a fun twist! But, then you might want to try my Cheesy Chicken Dorito Casserole instead.
What other fillings can I add?
Add any of your favorite taco fillings! You can add black beans, Ro-Tel, onions, it is up to you!
Can I use regular pie crust?
Absolutely! If you go this route, line the pie plate with 1 store bought pie crust and pre-bake. Then add the rest of the filling to the pie, minus the corn tortillas.
Can I make this ahead of time?
You can prep taco pie in advance, no more than the day before. While the oven is preheating, take the pie out of the fridge to come to room temp and bake the normal time listed in the recipe.
🌮 More Taco Night Recipes
If you love this taco pie recipe, check out these other fabulous recipes for taco night!
Photography by Marie Roffey.
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ yellow onion , diced
- 1 oz. packet taco seasoning
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 cup red salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Optional Toppings Ideas:
- shredded lettuce
- diced red onion
- diced avocado
- additional salsa
- diced tomatoes
- additional sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch pie dish; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, brown the beef over medium heat. Crumble meat in the pan as it cooks. Add the onions and cook 5 to 7 more minutes. Drain excess grease. Mix in the taco seasoning and beef broth; simmer 5 more minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine salsa and sour cream to make a sauce. Spread ¼ cup sauce evenly into bottom of prepared pie dish. Layer 6 tortillas, slightly overlapping each other and the sides of the pie dish, then half of the meat mixture, and then half of the sour cream mixture. Top with half of cheese; repeat layers (starting with tortillas, ending with cheese).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden. Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with optional toppings.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only, based on 1 serving = ⅙ of pie, and not including optional toppings.