Peanut butter chocolate lasagna includes layers of Cool Whip, chocolate pudding and creamy peanut butter cream cheese over an Oreo crust. Topped with crushed Butterfingers, this Oreo dessert is the BEST!
If you are looking for the BEST chocolate lasagna dessert, this is it! We have made this countless times, even as a birthday cake. It's reminiscent of Oreo dirt cake -- remember that classic Oreo dessert? Or, an Oreo pudding pie! If you love this, you'll also love our Oreo pudding dessert and our chocolate trifle!
What is Chocolate Lasagna?
Chocolate lasagna is a layered dessert typically consisting of chocolate pudding, cream cheese, whipped cream and an Oreo crust. This recipe goes a tad bit further with the addition of peanut butter and Butterfingers! If you want the traditional recipe, click here.
This is a no-bake recipe that requires refrigeration. After it's cooled, the layers set so beautifully to show up in every slice!
Ingredients for this recipe:
- Oreo cookies (14.3 oz. package)
- Unsalted butter (6 tablespoons)
- Creamy peanut butter (3/4 cup)
- Powdered sugar (1 cup)
- Cream cheese (8 oz.)
- Cool Whip (16 oz.)
- Instant chocolate pudding (5.9 oz. dry mix)
- Milk (2 cups)
- Butterfinger candy bars (2 standard sized)
You will need mixing bowls, a blender and a 9x13-inch pan for this recipe.
How to Make Chocolate Lasagna
Crush Oreos in a blender then transfer to a medium bowl. Mix in the melted butter and toss to coat. Evenly press into the bottom of a greased 9x13-inch pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in half of the Cool Whip, then spread evenly over the Oreo crust.
In another medium bowl, whisk the chocolate pudding mix into the 2 cups of milk. Let stand for 2 minutes to thicken, then evenly spread over the peanut butter cream cheese layer.
Spread the remaining Cool Whip over top then sprinkle with the chopped Butterfinger candy bars.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
Your Questions Answered
Can I halve this recipe?
You sure can! I halve this chocolate lasagna all the time using a 9x9-inch pan.
What does "Fold" mean in a recipe?
The term "fold" means to carefully combine the light mixture into the heavier mixture. In this case when stirring the Cool Whip into the peanut butter cream cheese, use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula with a light hand to gently turn over the two mixtures in the bowl to combine.
Do I keep the cream in the Oreo cookies?
Absolutely! Crush the entire cookie into the blender to make the Oreo crust.
Is this good with a graham cracker crust instead of Oreo?
Yes! It won't be as chocolaty, but if you prefer a graham cracker crust, go for it!
Do I bake the crust first?
Nope! This is a no-bake dessert!
How long should I refrigerate this before serving?
You want the dessert to set at least 1 hour in the fridge before serving so they display the pretty layers when sliced.
How long will this store in the fridge?
Chocolate lasagna will keep in the fridge up to 1 week, but best within 5 days.
This recipe feeds MANY, so wait to make it until you have a lot of people to share it with. Unless you want to fail at your dietary goals... trust me.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Avocado Chocolate Pudding
- German Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
- Death by Chocolate Trifle
- Double Chocolate Cream Pie
This recipe was originally published April 2010 and most recently updated February 2021.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Lasagna
- 14.3 oz. Oreo cookies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese , at room temperature
- 16 oz. Cool Whip
- 5.9 oz. instant chocolate pudding dry mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2 regular sized Butterfinger candy bars , chopped
- Lightly grease a 13- by 9- inch pan with nonstick spray. Crush Oreos in a blender then transfer to a medium bowl. Mix in the melted butter and toss to coat. Evenly press into the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar and cream cheese until smooth. I use my stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, but you can also use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Fold in half of the Cool Whip, then spread over the Oreo crust.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the chocolate pudding mix into the 2 cups of milk. Let stand for 2 minutes to thicken, then evenly spread over the peanut butter cream cheese layer.
- Spread the remaining Cool Whip over top then sprinkle with the chopped Butterfinger candy bars. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Keeps in the fridge for a few days, but no longer than 1 week.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only.