Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip), The Second and Final Attempt

White_Queso_Dip_2I did it, I did it!  Actually, I should be yelling “WE did it!”  One year ago I posted a recipe for Queso Blanco, but it didn’t quite match the wonderful, runny restaurant dip that we love oh-so-much.  It was good in taste, but the texture was a little funny and quickly thickened off the heat.  Well, I’m so extremely happy to announce that I finally found the perfect queso blanco dip combination that matches my favorite white cheese dip in some Mexican (and even some chain) restaurants.  And, the reason I now have it is because of you, my readers.

The original queso blanco post is one of my top visited recipes on this blog.  If you glance at the comments, you’ll see that many readers stopped by to share their thoughts about what I might change to make it exactly what I wanted.  The other day, I finally decided to filter through the comments and emails.  I made a plan to try all of them until I came up with the perfect formula.  There were numerous great suggestions, but one in particular caught my eye.  Why?  Because the reader gave me the exact recipe from the restaurant where she worked!

White Queso Dip 4 (White Cheese Dip)(Hand model, courtesy of my two-year old son. ;)  )

I quickly made up my mind to start with this recipe, since it seemed the most promising of what I was looking for.  It didn’t call for authentic (good quality) Mexican cheese as some of the others suggested.  Instead, it only uses white American cheese and very few other ingredients.  The original queso blanco I tried also used white American cheese, but also some shredded Monterey Jack, and it had me wishing for a little bit of something more.  What I didn’t expect was that I was really needing a bit of something less!

You are going to love how easy this is to put together, especially because you do not have to shred the cheese and you can serve it in the bowl in which it was prepared.  Only one dirty dish!  The instructions I was given were for large restaurant quantities and using restaurant equipment that I do not have, nor am I even familiar with.  Aiming for the easiest method, I took the ingredient list, sliced it in half and decided to throw it all into my trusty Pampered Chef batter bowl, then into the microwave.   Worked like a charm!  After five minutes in the microwave (stirring after every minute) the cheese was completely melted and perfectly runny.  After letting it set for a few minutes, the dip did thicken a little bit, but not nearly as much as the other recipe from last year.

I can’t wait for you to give this a try.  The amount of heat can be adjusted to your preference.  For me, I added an extra pickled jalapeno and it was exactly the temperature we wanted (reflected below).  Toss in other ingredients, like diced tomatoes, sausage bits, cilantro, whatever you desire.  But, if you are someone who is in search for the white queso dip you enjoy in the restaurants, then I highly recommend you just start with the basic and very simple concoction below.  I’m confident you will be pleased.

Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip), The Second and Final Attempt

Yield: 30 fluid ounces

Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip), The Second and Final Attempt

• 1 1/4 (1.25) lb block White American Cheese (Land O'Lakes brand preferred), cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/4 cup diced green chiles, from a can
  • 2 pickled jalapenos, chopped
  • 1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice
  • 2/3 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • pinch of cumin (optional)

Toss all ingredients into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stopping to stir after every minute. The mixture might seem watery during the first few stirs, but should come together as a nice runny dip after all the cheese is melted.

Serve immediately as a dip with tortilla chips or as a sauce over your favorite Mexican dish.

*Recipe Note: White American cheese is found at most deli counters in your local grocery store.

*Reheat Instructions: Store any leftover cheese dip in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until creamy and hot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. This is perfect! I am having a nacho party in december. Thanks!

• This recipe is a joke I havw followed the directions and attempted it 5 times and every time the milk water mixture wont mix I have even tried it with other white cheeses and in the microwave, stove top amd crock pot nothing works. You may want to think twice before using it

• Hi Amanda,

Sorry you had problems with this recipe, but it is a tried and true one. I make it all of the time, along with many of my family members and friends. And, as you can see from the hundreds of comments here, many of my readers have had great results. Although I have also used many different brands of white cheese with success, have you tried it with the Land o’ Lakes brand of white American cheese with is my preference?

• I love this dip and this is the only one that works for me, if you have trouble with it mixing start stirring with a spoon but towards the end use a metal whisk to get it creamy, Since I’ve started doing that it’s never failed no matter what brand of American cheese I use,

• this receipe is awesome and I use everything but the cumin and I have never had any issues

• I TRIED too, and this just WOULDN’T mix with the cheese! (milk,water) So WHAT is suggested for that solution?!?! I, at restaurants, LOVE this dip, so HOW do you suggest (when this DOESN’T mix?) I’ve read OTHER recipes that say to WHIP this together, or put in a blender. So WHAT is said to get this to mix?

• Hi Tammy,
          I’m sorry you’ve had trouble, but I never have issues getting the cheese to melt and mix. If after trying to use a whisk to mix it and it still doesn’t mix, then maybe it needs to go for another 30 seconds in the microwave. Otherwise, there could be a variation in your microwave temperature…

• This is seriously the queso blanco dip recipe out there!! I’ve been making it for years and it’s perfect. I have done it without the water completely and replaced it with more milk. You may find it blends easier that way :)

• I think ‘amanda’ learns differently

• Anonymous says:

Maybe try to melt the cheese a little first. And maybe mix the milk an water together then add to the cheese and other ingredients.

• Could a person put a little cream cheese to add just a little more flavor…just saying….

2. This is one of my favorite things about the mexican restaurant we have here! I love to re-create things homemade rather than having to buy them so I’m sure this dip will be perfect!

3. Ahhh! I love queso blanco dip. So darn delicious!

4. Perfect, thank you so much. This is already on our Super Bowl Party Menu. I am thinking about using the crock pot to keep it warm throughout the game, maybe doubling it up. It will be the perfect addition to homemade chili dip, chicken nachos, barbeque meatballs, tater boats,and another crock pot full of boiled peanuts. The normal cheese spread with crackers and probably a platter of sub style sandwiches.
    As I type this I am discussing it with my husband and the kids are groaning begging me to stop because they are hungry and dinner isn’t quite ready yet.

5. Carling Kerrigan says:

Hi! This recipe looks great and I love queso blanco, so making it at home whenever I want would be awesome. The only problem I have with this was when I went to the grocery store this afternoon to buy the ingredients, it was 6.99 just for a pound of the cheese alone. This recipe requires a pound and a quarter of it. I ended up just buying a package of pre-made queso for $5.00. Is this recipe worth the $16.00 price tag?

• Hi Carling,
      I feel your pain, as the cheese at my deli is $5.99/lb. I’m not sure how many servings the $5.00 queso that you bought yields, but this recipe makes a very large quantity to where you can cut it in half and still have plenty. I’m guessing that the pre-made queso you bought might be even less than half the amount this recipe makes, as most store-bought queso’s are around 9 to 15 ounces and this recipe yields at least 30. That said, the other ingredients (pickled jalapenos, juice and green chiles) were very inexpensive. I buy the pickled jalapenos in a can for about $1.50 and there is enough in there for 2 to 3 batches of this large recipe. The green chiles cost me $.79 and is good for 2 batches. And, the milk is something I always have on hand since I have a toddler. I’m not sure where you came up with a $16.00 price tag, but for me to make this full batch, it costs me less than $11 to serve a very large crowd. So, IF your $5.00 pre-made queso is only half the amount of this recipe, then we’re pretty even as far as price goes. If that’s the case, then I think it’s well worth making it homemade to avoid any extra preservatives or strange ingredients that you find in pre-made. :) You can cut the recipe in half, no problem. Hope this helps!

• Carling Kerrigan says:

Thank you! I didn’t think about the serving size and the fact that I wouldn’t use up all of the the little ingredient so I can make it again. Well now I’m definitely trying this. Thanks again!

• Carolyn says:

I feel your pain! I live in California and the deli white American is $7.49 lb!!! But I made this on Sunday and it was the BEST! I hate to say it (not really :)), but I’m on my may to the store now to make more! :)

Thank you for an AWESOME recipe!

• it was so good and easy. thanks for sharing. I am sharing leftovers tomorrow at work.

• Does anyone know where to buy the Land o Lakes Easy Melt White American cheese loaf or is the deli white american cheese the only thing that is available? Thanks!!

• `I believe that Velveeta has a version which is white, although I am not positive. We have always used Velveeta or our various cheese dips and the consistency is perfect. You may also be able to find other brands of white American cheese with the block cheeses. It all depends on your region and store.

• My local BJs Club has the cheese all of the time for approx. $3 per pound! If they were open now, I’d be there!! I know where I will be in the morning!

6. I see your queso dip blog, but I can’t find the recipe. I would love to try it. Where are the ingredients listed? Thanks!

• Hey Amanda, I’m currently working on my site..having server issues. I had to deactivate all of my plugins which meant all of my recipe cards disappeared for a few minutes. It’s back up now! :)

7. I have been using pretty much the same recipe for awhile but I use heavy whipping cream instead of milk! Try it! Makes it even better! More fattening too of course but who’s counting when eating this stuff anyway?

• haha! I’ll have to give it a try one of these days, although I might not since I’m completely happy with the less-fattening alternative. ;)

8. Hi – My husband and I have been searching for the past 5 years for the PERFECT queso blanco dip… the picture looks promising! However, I’m not seeing the recipe either. Has the issue been fixed? Thanks!

9. I absolutely love the queso at Mexican restaurants but have moved out of the country and there are no authentic mexican restaurants here so I am always looking forward to queso when I get back to the US. Tried this a little skeptical that it could be as good but it is GREAT!! It is a little salty but I can’t figure out what would make it that way. LOVE IT and will definitely be making it to get my fix. Thanks!

10. Kelly Jean says:

Just made this, and I have to say, it’s DELICIOUS! I think I may have had something like this at a Mexican restaurant, but I can’t remember. I ate it with chips, but am planning on drizzling it over tonight’s dinner, Crockpot chicken with black beans and cream cheese. Hopefully they go well together!

11. Becky Patt says:

My husband loves this!!! OOohhh and of course I do tooooo!!!!!

12. This dip is delicious and JUST LIKE our favorite local Mexican restaurants! My husband is in shock and is so happy! Thank you

13. This sounds amazing and can’t wait to try it. I’ve been wishing that I knew how to make the mexican restaurant queso dip for years now. I just happened to run into this recipe from someone’s Pinterest page. Can’t wait to try it!

14. Hi! My husband is originally from Arkansas and his most favorite place in the world to eat is Called La Huerta in Fayettville. Is this from there by chance? He is always craving it and now that he lives here in Utah it is not something we can just go pick up. I know he would be so excited if this is that white cheese dip!

• I honestly do not know which restaurant it is from. I’m sure the white cheese dips differ between restaurants, but this is exactly the type we love from the various restaurants we’ve tried. Give it a shot and let me know what you think! :)

• I am originally from Georgia and all of the Mexican restaurants there serve this sort of cheese dip. I crave it all of the time but I also live in Utah now and for some reason they don’t serve it out here. I’m always telling my fiance’ about it and talk about how good it is. I’m definitely going to try this recipe tonight. Hopefully he will finally see what I’ve been raving about!

• So funny! I live in Rogers and have been in La Huerta in Fayetteville! :)

15. I just made this and it is really runny. What did I do wrong?

• It depends how you define “runny”. I would say that the queso is on the runnier side, which is how Ben and I like it…and is how it is at the restaurants we’ve had it. But, the other queso recipe I have on the blog (Queso Blanco, The First Attempt) was a little thicker, which is one of the reasons I didn’t like it as much. If you want to thicken it up, use less milk. Also, it thickens as it cools, so if you kept it in a small crock pot or some kind of warmer, then that might also be the problem.

16. So, I found your original queso dip recipe last weekend when I was trolling Pinterest, bought all the ingredients this Friday and plan to make it for a dippy appetizer tonight before dinner (perfect for a football day). Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I came back to your original post and saw that you had perfected it within the last week! I have all the ingredients on hand, so I’ll be making your new recipe tonight. :D

Thanks! (And now a new follower, love your blog)!
    Mandi

17. SO yummy! I definitely recommend using a whisk to stir it instead of a spoon.

• i agree about the whisk. i cooked mine for over 10 minutes and the cheese was still kinda chunky. but still tastes good. i will try the whisk next time.

18. We made it and loved it. But husband is currently doing the dishes and cursing me for it. Apparently it is sticky sticky stuff!

• Ha! Yeah, don’t let the dirty dish sit long after you’re finished, cuz cheese sticks! I like to use my Pampered Chef pan scraper to clean out dishes with sticky cheese. American cheese is bad, but Mozzarella is the worst! :) By the way, glad you enjoyed the dip!!

19. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have been wanting to make a white cheese dip but didn’t know where to start. I can’t wait to give it a try.

20. Let me start by saying I literally have NEVER written a review on any recipe I have ever tried. That said, this dip turned out so well that I felt compelled to change that. I wanted to taste-test this before making it at a dinner party so I bought just 1/2 lb worth of cheese and bought fresh jalepenos instead. Otherwise, I followed the instructions how they were (after dividing ingredients proportionately). At first it DID look really runny, but I solved this by a lot of stirring followed by more heating in the microwave. For anyone who is interested, the 1/2lb yielded a full cereal-bowl sized amount of dip and would have been enough for about 4 people. Great recipe, it tasted just like it does at our favorite mexican restaurant!

21. Do you absolutely have to use American? My store didn’t have any so I used white cheddar–twice–and both times it was a disaster. It never mixed properly either time, looking more like a glob of cheese with oily water poured on top, and the second time I strained out some liquid and so it was just a practically inedible blob of cheese. I also tried adding more cheese, even cornstarch to thicken it up the first time. I swore off this recipe (I was pretty dang frustrated), but if you can tell me what I’m doing wrong, I would be very grateful. (It SMELLED great, so it was so sad when it didn’t taste good.)

• Hi Kristina,
      Yes, you absolutely have to use American instead of white cheddar. American melts much more easily and has a different taste and texture than cheddar. Don’t swear off the recipe. The cheddar caused the problems. Try it again when you find American. :)

• My grocery store has Velveeta Queso Blanco blocks. I’m wondering if this will work as well as the white American from the deli counter. It’s certainly cheaper and should melt really easily without separating. (Granted it’s not REAL cheese so it’s still processed but if you can’t find white American, it might be worth a try.)

22. After a failed attempt with a recipe last week, I asked my daughter’s friend, who’s family runs the Mexican grocery and restaurant up the street, how the heck to make this dip. Much to my surprise, she said American cheese and to cook it in the microwave as well!

23. I am excited to have found this but I am hesitant about the jalapenos. I don’t like a lot of heat in my dip, so can you give me an idea on a scale of 1-10 on how hot this is? Can I leave out the juice or use (a lot) less?

• It’s very hard to rate the level of heat on a scale of 1-10 because my 10 can be different than your 10. Let’s just say that ever since I had Judah, I can’t tolerate hardly any heat, but this dip as written is perfect for me. There’s just a little bit of kick. If it ends up too hot for you, then yes, you can just use less jalapeno or juice (or even less of the green chiles). :)

24. Just a quick question…I want to make this for a party…can I make it and then put it into a crock pot? Will it stay runny or will it harden up? Also how much does it really make? Enough for 20 girls to much on with other things? Thanks so much! And Merry Christmas!

• Definitely enough for 20 girls to munch on. I haven’t tried keeping it in a crock pot, but I think it should work fine to keep it on warm. If it stays too runny, then pour it into a serving dish and stir every once in a while. :) Let me know how keeping it in a crock pot turns out and have fun at your party!!

• Thanks! I will try it and see! I will let you know how it turns out, but will be in Jan!

• I kept mine in the crockpot last night and it was good. Started by cooking it in the microwave then transferred it into the crockpot. Never got hard.

• Ok so I finally made this awesome dip for my party. One thing is for sure there weren’t any leftovers. Everyone LOVED it! I did use the crock pot and I will tell you a few of the mistakes that I made using it. First off I should have used the microwave first, since the cheese didn’t fully melt. (Just little chunks were left) Also since I didn’t use the microwave I put it on low for 3 hours and stirred it occasionally. After about 2 1/2 hours it was really runny so I took the lid off. That did the trick and made it firm up a bit, but after another hour it was getting pretty thick.

So I think it would be best to make it about 1/2 an hour early in the microwave and then transfer to a crock pot. That would really help with the issues I had, but again I will say it was gone before I really got to eat much of it! Everyone was raving. This will be my go to dip from now on! Thanks again!

25. Just want to say I have made this recipe to a T. and I have also made it with Velvetta Queso. There is a small difference in taste, but if you buy some extra sharp tillamook or name brand cheddar cheese to add (shredded) when the rest has melted, its remarkable. this is WONDERFUL, just like the restaurants
    I wanted to add, not much cheddar (it will ruin the taste just like Nikki says) but I would say 1/4-1/3 a cup shreded to add the extra kick that the velvetta lacks. It tastes pretty much the same (it needs to be extra sharp though). Just wanted to say if its too expensive to buy the american white cheese, this is an alternative option.

26. I have a friend who owns a Mexican restaurant and she said they use super melt cheese, milk, and jalapenos. But super melt cheese is hard to find. Land-o-lakes makes it but I’ve never seen it in a regular grocery store.

27. I have to tell you, I found your recipe on pinterest. Ironically I pinned both of your recipes not realizing they were both from your blog. I finally made this recipe tonight.. I have been wanting to make queso so bad.. and this recipe hits the nail on the head. It is so yummy, I even poured it on steamed broccoli and yummo!! Thank you so much for sharing this!

28. Is the dip spicy? I myself love spicy food, but my husband doesn’t. The cheese dip at our local mexican restaurant is not spicy at all.

• It’s a little bit spicy, Lacy. But, everyone has their different opinions of what “spicy” really means. You can control the level of heat by using less of the jalapenos and juice. :)

29. Does anyone know an easy way for me to measure the rest of the ingredients if I only want to use 1/2 lb of the cheese? I’m 20 and new to cooking and don’t want to mess it up!

• Rachel, the rest of the ingredients are pretty forgiving. I would start out using just half of each listed and add more a little at a time, if necessary, after heating. Welcome to the world of cooking! :) You will quickly learn it’s all about trial and error. Don’t be afraid to mess it up. It’s how we learn! :)

30. Michelle Cannon says:

Thank you do much for the recipe! Can’t wait ’til I get off work today so I can pick up the ingredients and make for myself. :-D

31. Courtney W. says:

I just made this queso and its awesome! I did tweak it a little by adding some chopped frozen spinach into it to make it a cheesy spinach dip! And it can be a great way to get your kids to eat spinach if they are picky about their veggies! I’m sure it will be a big hit at the New Years Eve party me and my fiance are going to tonight!

32. This is going on our super bowl menu too for sure!! Yum!

33. Amber Martin says:

I just made this today and it is AWESOME. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease so I have to really watch what I eat now. I love Mexican food and I haven’t had it since my diagnosis. This will be my life saver since I can’t visit my local restaurant. My only issue was, it didn’t fix in 5 minutes in the microwave. Of course I used my American Cheese right out of the refrigerator. I’m thinking it would melt faster at room temp? Thoughts?

• Hi Amber! I’m glad you liked this! I use my cheese right out of the fridge, as well, so I don’t think that’s the reason it took longer than 5 minutes. Microwaves can vary in heating temps, so maybe that’s why. How long did it take? Did you remember to stir after every minute? :)

• Pam Healey says:

Hi Amber, My husband also has celiac and he loved this. You can eat in mexican resteraunts, just ask for gluten free. Usually have some made with corn tortilias. We go at least once a month, and in the meantime I fix chips and dips, or my own burrito’s for him.

• Mexican is a great option for those who are Gluten intolerant but for people with celiac I recommend going to places that have gluten free kitchens. I hear that even a crumb can send someone with Celiac to the ER.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        I can’t wait to try this recipe.

34. Hi! I was wondering if this is like the recipe for the white queso dip at On The Border?

• Hi Ginger, I actually haven’t had On the Border’s white queso dip, so can’t give you a comparison. Sorry!

35. our local Mexican restaurant calls it “crack cheese” -because it is sooo addicting like crack! (well, I’m sure there is a real name for it there…. but that is what the regulars call it!!)

36. I’m so excited about this! I use to live in Delaware until my husband and I were re-stationed to the island of Guam….needless to say they do not have any mexican restaurant’s here and I have been missing & seriously craving my queso dip at la tonlateca! It’s really the little things you don’t realize you will miss. Your picture looks exactly how it looks back at home, and I have printed the recipe and am about to head to the commissary & pray they have all the ingredients!!! I’m heading home in June and probably heading straight to the restaurant haha. but I’m hoping that this will do for now & satisfy my craving =) thank you so much for sharing!!!!

• Great! I hope the commissary has all of the ingredients for you! :)

• Random, I know… but Guam has some excellent Mexican restaurants! go to Calientes, they have the BEST burritos I have ever had there, as well as other yummy Mexican goodies. They also have Carmen’s Mexican Bistro, but I think Calientes is SO much better. Both are down by the big church.

• YES!!! La Tonalteca FTW! I’m hoping that this compares to it!

37. nikki! i have GOT to start coming here everyday. jeff and i SO miss the white cheese dip from the restaurants in SC. all the ones in TX serve chile con queso. jeff is going to be pumped when i try this. i wish i had seen it sooner. i have been really out of touch with blogland . . .

and–once again–i love how “famous” you are now. :) happy new year and new home!

• If you live by a Jalisco’s, they have white cheese dip… so yummy! Not sure where in TX y’all are, but if y’all are close to Killeen/Temple area look up ERNIE’S FRIED CHICKEN, they have the best burritos(called FAT ERNIES) in the whole freakin’ world!!! We moved to CO this past Christmas after 10 years in TX and I’m really debating on driving down to stock up on burritos, lol!

38. WOW!!! This is the BEST dip I have ever made!! I am SO glad I stumbled upon this recipe! I am making it for a dinner tonight so I have it sitting in the Crockpot on low. It does thicken up in the Crockpot, but I just make sure to take my whisk to it every half hour or so. I may add a little more milk soon before serving to try and get it less thick. But even with it being thick, it is still DELICIOUS!!!

39. I just wanted to let you know that my husband and I made this today and it was so good. We added a couple extra jalapenos and a little more green chiles and it tasted just like a mexian restaurant!!

40. Benji Ferguson says:

Can’t wait to try this. But, I’m wondering-are your green chiles fresh or the canned ones? Does it matter?

41. I just found white velvetta at my local Safeway.

• Jenifer, I live in Calgary and I haven’t ever seen any ‘American’ cheese….is that what it is? White Velveeta? I’ve never seen any white velveeta either :( I’ll have to ask around! :-)

42. You DID it! I have never been able to make this! And it has troubled me because cooking’s kinda my thing! I’d been told to use white American by a waiter at a Mexican restaurant but I could never find it so I really just forgot about it.

Until now! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Second, where did you find the cheese??

p.s. my guy also referenced the Land o’ Lakes too… it must be key

43. Ashley Anne says:

All I can say, is WOW! This dip is so good. It taste better than 2 places I locally visit that have queso. I have made it 3 times and the third time I add 1 tsp of onion powder SOOO good..Do you have an authentic salsa you could get your hands on?

44. I made this tonight and it came out great! I couldn’t find the Land O Lakes White American in a block but found the slices and used those instead. They worked and melted beautifully. I was cooking for a smaller supper group and so just I bought 2-8oz packages (1 lb) and just adjusted the rest of the ingredient quantities by using scant amounts.

45. I liked this salsa, but feel it lacks two thing that the restaurants have: more spice and a little more “sweetness.” Wish I knew how to get that into it and make it taste the same.

• Thanks, Brooke. I think it depends on the restaurant. This is spot on to the ones that I’ve had at certain restaurants. Feel free to share the alterations you made to make it exactly like the queso at the restaurants you love. :)

• Have you tried roasted red peppers for the sweetness, and a hotter pepper, or more jalepenos? Also sweet/vidalia onions might be worth a try too. Good luck!

46. I could not find pickled jalapenos, so I got the pickled jalapenos slices in a can. About how many sliced do you think I will need? I am so excited to make this tonight.

• Honestly, you can use however many, depending on the level of heat you like. :) Maybe chop them up a little more…starting with 5-7 slices? Hard for me to tell without seeing the size of the slices. But, I think that’s what I would do… Enjoy!!

47. my7dwarfs says:

ok, 2 questions, i have never heard of pickled jalapenos, is this just in the mexican aisle of the grocery? and also did you use the chiles & jalapenos in your recipe, the pic looks all white i don’t seen any sign of these other ingredients. thanks this looks awesome!

• Yes, I used the chiles and jalapenos even in the cheese pictured. :) As far as finding the pickled jalapenos in the grocery store…it probably varies on where you live. In California, I found them in just a regular aisle of the grocery store near the hot sauces, etc. Here in Mississippi, I had to look in the aisle labeled “Hispanic Food”. Hope this helps!

• After reading this reply I found the “pickled jalapenos” in the Mexican aisle in my grocery store, when I went shopping this morning. But when I made my dip last week I used the jarred jalapenos that found in the pickle aisle. They come in whole, sliced or even diced. Are these ones not “pickled”? I wonder if the actual pickled ones taste different…does anyone know? Thanks!

48. Made this tonight and it was very tasty! Next time I think I’ll halve the recipe (because it makes A LOT!) and I definitely need to get a different kind of jalapeno. I had some “no heat” pickled jalapeno slices on hand so I just used those, but this dip definitely lacked the flavor/kick that a different variety would have provided.

My husband really liked this as well and made a good point, this recipe makes like $30 worth of queso! If you get a bowl of queso at a Mexican restaurant it’s like $5 for a tiny little serving!

Thanks for a great recipe! I’ll definitely be making this again for taco night!

• Thanks, Stephanie! Your husband DID make a great point about the cost savings, because this recipe does make a big amount. :) Glad you enjoyed it and I know you’ll love it even more with the right kind of jalapeno! ;)

49. I’m dying to try your recipe! My husband and I have been on a quest to make dip like this for years but never perfected it. Just curious though, since the cumin is optional, do you like it with or without the cumin?

• I like it with the cumin and without. It really doesn’t affect the taste greatly, but adds just a little extra flavor. :)

50. I just made this queso and it’s AMAZING. It made so much that I think I’m going to try to save some for a party that we’re having next weekend! Do you think it would keep in the fridge for a week? Have you ever tried freezing it?

• I’ve never tried freezing it, and I’m not sure that will work out so well. But, I think it will keep in the fridge for a week. Glad you liked it! :)

51. this.is.AMAZING. i am currently sitting beside the huge bowl of delicious melted cheese and peppers…and beating off anyone who wants a taste with a stick!! YUM!

52. Loved it!! Made queso tonight to enjoy during Super Bowl. A big hit ….. Just like our local Mexican restaurant. Will definitely make again!

53. may i have the original recipe ? i have the restaurant equipment to my disposal and would like to try the original recipe out.

54. Leslie McEvoy says:

Just made this! It is awesome! My 5 year old daughter loves this dip, but not the pieces of chiles or peppers, so I made the dip with them in for the flavor, and after I was done just removed them. She loves it! Best find on pinterest so far!

55. The Restaurant we go to and LOVE the queso… but it doesnt ever have chunks in it, it isnt spicy AT ALL,… Has anyone tried it without all the peppers and just juices? or what? Im not sure how they make it.. but it looks like your picture.. (no chunks lol)

• Ashley, my husband loves the chunks of peppers in his but I hate ‘em! So we left the peppers out and just used juices and it came out fine that way. The only difference is that you may like just a bit more juice in it to give it the extra flavor that the peppers would have given it.

I absolutely LOVED this recipe and it came out perfectly for us. And we had plenty for leftovers for a few days. We scooped out whatever we needed into a different bowl and reheated it. It was a little thicker when reheating so we added a tad more milk to it and it was perfect again :D Thanks so much for the recipe. I’ve been looking for it for ages!

56. I can’t wait to make this! My kids could drink this stuff-and they practically do when we order it at the restaurant!

57. Beth@ Unskinnyboppy says:

Great recipe!

We begged our favorite waiter for the cheese info and he told us it’s specifically called Land O’Lakes Extra Melt in white. At the time (years ago) it was only sold in gigantic blocks through wholesale food distributors. Looks like Sams sells it now, if you wanna buy 30 lbs!!! :)

58. It also helps to have chips from the Mexican restaurant or ones like them. I once bought just a jar of white queso dip, and then a bag of tortilla chips, and it was nothing like the restaurant’s. It was even gross. But then I happened to have some leftover tortilla chips from the Mexican restaurant and tried those instead, COMPLETE difference. even with the cheap jar queso, it tasted almost exactly like the restaurant’s. So if you can make this, and then get a hold of some really good tortilla chips from the Mexican restaurant, you’ve got the exact thing.

59. Mmm! This looks amazing! Im going to have to make this our next mexican night!

60. The key to making dip that taste mexican is for sure chili powder!!!!

61. I made the dip and it turned out great! Other people are right about using the right chips–it makes a huge difference. The best chips out there right now are On the Border brand, and make sure you get the Cantina Thins, not just regular tortilla chips. These chips make the dip even better!

• you are right about On The Border Cantina Thins. I tried those the other day and I could not believe how great they are. Finished off that bag and bought another. LOL And would you believe those are gone as well. I live alone, wonder if some one is sneaking in and eating my chips.I haven’t tried the cheese dip yet, but my sister and I wasted hundreds of dollars in different cheese’s trying to make the white dip. Going to get everything tomorrow and give it a try. Wish me luck.

62. So I made this tonight and loved the taste but the texture I couldn’t handle. I’m not sure if I cooked it to long or what but the texture was like an egg yoke that was boiled.. Can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong???

63. I am going to make this but was wondering–will it make a difference if I use 1% milk as opposed to whole?

• Hi Leah, I’m no expert, but I think it might just make a difference in the consistency and hardly any difference in the taste. You might want to start with a little less milk and add more as needed.

64. “1 1/4 lb block White American Cheese…”

Is that “1.25lb block…” or 1 “0.25lb block…”???

65. This is GREAT!! We moved from Mississippi to Texas 6 years ago and have been on a quest to figure this out. This is as close as you can get. They don’t have this type of cheese dip in Texas, it’s all yellow queso or chili con queso.

• Jalisco’s have white dip! This dip actually taste quite similar to theirs, so using this recipe would save money and a trip out and about, but just FYI there are restaurants in TX with white cheese dip!

66. Do you have to use PICKLED jalapenos? The only kind I can find in my stores – are made in Mexico and I only use ingredients in food – that are made in the USA. Can you use regular jalapenos or will it change the taste too much? Thanks for the recipe.. I have purchased all the ingredients, besides the jalapenos .. I do have regular jalapenos though but since the ingredients are expensive, I am scared to test it out w/regular jalapenos..thanks.

• Hi Lanie,
      It will be different if you don’t use the pickled jalapeno’s. The juice adds a lot to the taste. That said, I don’t think it will necessarily be bad…but different.

• Nikki, Thanks so much! After going to three stores, I went back to the original store (an HEB, grocery store based in Houston) and looked in the international foods, instead of looking for canned pickled jalapenos, I looked in the bottled type…

And OLD EL PASO sells pickled jalapenos in a jar. It was around $2.50 for a large jar.

It turned out PERFECT. It is sooooo good.

I never found Land’O Lakes white American, but found White American cheese at Target in the deli section and it worked nicely. It is expensive; however, it makes for a lot of queso! Plus a coupon for $1 off Target deli items printed when I purchased the cheese and the cashier automatically scanned it, so it was a little cheaper.

Thank you SO Much for this recipe, I am sending people to your blog and recommending the recipe to everyone that will listen! LOL

You’re the best..thanks again.

• Oops. I meant to add: the Old El Paso Pickled Jalapenos are MADE IN THE USA… I had looked previously at HEB, but must have missed them.. We have a large area for international/spanish foods, so I guess I just missed it.. I think I squealed with glee when I found the Ole El Paso – but luckily no one was around me. LOL. Thanks again.

• Lanie, that’s fantastic! I’m really glad you went back to look again. I do that all of the time (can’t find a product until I check a second time). In fact, one time I went on a wild goose chase looking for mango chutney. After searching in 4 different grocery stores, I finally found it. A few weeks later, I realized that it was actually at all of the stores, just in different aisles and I missed it every time! ha!

Thanks for your review of the queso. Hope you get to enjoy it often! :)

67. Hi I can’t wait to try this, the other one I had found the milk did not mix all the way with the cheese and yes it thickened so much when it cooled I was not happy.
    Thank you for posting this!!!

68. P.s what kind of store sells the pickled jalapeños?

• Hi Robyn,
      I have found them at any grocery store…Kroger, Safeway, Walmart, etc. Usually in the Mexican food aisle, if I remember right. :)

69. I made this tonight and I must give credit where credit is due! It was absolutely amazing!!! Thanks to the wonderful woman who gave this recipe to you!!!

70. I found your site after I made my OWN recipe. I noticed how mine was a little chalky feeling…the only thing I did not do was the water. It is totally needed! Way to go! I will try YOUR recipe next time but mine turned out pretty good. I sautéed onions in butter added a little flour and then milk. Then I added my cheeses and pickled jalapenos, and even some homemade Pico. I stirred in the water at the end.

71. I thought I was the only one trying to re-create this over the years, LOL!

72. Cassondra says:

so, i made this recipe, and did the whole trying a portion of the recipe to see how it turned out, and the taste was fantastic!! only trouble is, i hadnt added enough pickling juice to the mixture and added at the end, and my cheese ended up separating :( but it still tasted great! i am definetly planning on using this again, and in fact my niece is having a grad party i am cooking for and this is one of the items on the menu!! thanks a bunch!! :)

73. Jen in ND says:

This was VERY tasty, but way too runny for us. Next time I will add the water as necessary, instead of putting it in right away. Great flavor!

74. Cross Tribe Mom says:

Could you heat in the crock pot? Maybe on low at first then on a warm setting? Looks like a delicious dip that is very similar to a favorite of mine in Houston.

75. Just went tonight and bought all the stuff to make this White Cheese Dip! I’ll tell you how it turned out in a few days when I make it. Thanks

76. Rogh-sensei says:

So this recipe has been making the rounds on Pinterest, and I’m happy to report that after sourcing the elusive Land O’ Lakes Extra Melt White American Cheese, we have successfully replicated this recipe. For those in the Nashville, TN area, the Nashville Cash ‘n’ Carry (Formerly Sysco Cash and carry) on Charlotte on the west side has the five-pound blocks for about $15. We’ve made two batches of 1 lb each already (since the wrapper has these lovely 1 lb portion lines in it) and I can’t keep my fingers out of the dip if I don’t have a chip in them! It’s madness!

77. Do you have to use a microwave to make this? My husband was ready to run to the store as soon as he saw this for me to make RIGHT NOW…but we don’t have a microwave and he is swearing up and down that it will be different if you cook it in a pot. He didn’t want to waste the money on the ingredients if it didn’t turn out.

78. Made this last night and in totally disappointment. I don’t know what I did wrong but it just turned into melted cheese with tons of liquid. It did not “combine together”.

79. found your recipe a few months back…followed directions exactly and it turned out great!! thanks so much!! super yummy :)

80. MaryRuth says:

made this tonight and it was so so so good!! I found land o lakes white american in the deli at walmart.

Making it again for our cinco de mayo party this weekend!

thanks for sharing!

81. Tiffany says:

Found this on Pinterest. Gotta add my comment bc I made it for a party and it was awesome. Followed directions, made in microwave. Put in slow cooker but turned slow cooker on and off as needed to keep the consistency I wanted throught my party. There were left overs so the next day I just popped the bowl in the micro for instant yummy cheese dip. Does taste exactly like the one in the restaurants for sure. I just bought white American from the deli counter at my local grocer.

82. Courtney says:

I just tried this for the first time tonight thanks to Pinterest. I have to say this is AMAZING!! Thank you for the recipe!

83. Oh My Goodness! THIS IS IT! I followed the directions to the T and it turned out perfect! Thank you for your post!

84. I’ve made this Queso dip but add chopped boiled shrimp, crabmeat and crawfish tails! Makes the most yummy seafood nachos ever! I serve over warmed tortilla chips topped with green onions and chopped tomatoes!

85. Danielle says:

Made this for our Cinco de Mayo party this year… followed the recipe exactly and it was a hit!! After it was completed I set it in a small crock pot to keep it warm and it was all gone by the end of the night!! Thank you!

86. Its really even alot more simpler than this for my family. In the mexican food refrigerated section there are blocks of Mexican dipping cheese..one with jalapenos one without..I have a 18 month old so I use the one without. Follow the directions for melting and just add milk. You can add less or more depending on how thick of thin you like it. This takes exactly like the cheese dip we get at the mexican restaurants here in Ga..they definitely dont spice it up with the things mentioned in this recipe. Give this a try if you are looking for something quick, easy and delicious. Just make sure you get the block that says dipping cheese, not melting cheese or crumbling cheese.

87. Heather Gladd says:

Hey everyone! I know that blocks of White American Cheese tend to be on the expensive side, but at our store (Harris Teeter), the Kraft White American Singles is ALWAYS on sale! It’s regularly $2.99 for a pack of individually wrapped slices (12 oz total), but it’s on sale for $1.79 now (and it’s often on sale). I just unwrap the slices and put them in a bowl…dump the other ingredients on top, heat in the microwave, store, heat, stir, etc… Anyway…this might be helpful :)

88. Kathy Camasso says:

Yum, I can’t wait to try this; I made the other one a few times and while it was good, I felt it was missing something too; I bet the pickled jalepeno’s are the secret!

89. Thing one: did you use the cumin?

Thing two: do you chop the jalapeños and the green peppers more then the size in the can or just put it in sort of chunky? Your picture looks so smooth are the jalapeños and peppers just at the bottom of the bowl?

Thing 3: I’m now starving. And so thrilled this is gluten free

• lol!

Answer One: Yes :)

Answer Two: The jalapenos I buy are whole in the can, so I do chop them (more like dice them, I guess). The green chiles (not peppers) are already diced in the can I buy, so I do not chop them up any more than that. I believe they are just sunken in the photo.

Answer Three: Go fix your starvation with this cheese dip! ;)

90. Uff. This looks sinful like hell but extremely delicious!!!

91. Nikki, this is perfect, but do you by chance have the recipe for the white cold dip that the mexican restaurants serve with the nachos when you first sit down??? Maybe the reader that worked the mexican restaurant can give you the spices and herbs that go in it. Hope you can help!

92. can you notify me by e-mail, forgot to click the box before i sent you my request. Thanks, Cathy

93. This is spot-on! Thanks!!!

94. Can you use canned green chile’s and jalapenos? And is the pickled jalapeno juice easy to find in most stores?

• Yes, that’s what I use. :) I haven’t had trouble finding the pickled jalapeños in any stores. It’s usually located with the Mexican food.

95. I just made this and there was a layer of liquid fat (i think it’s looked like melted butter) and then under that was the cheese that never got liquidy enough. I kept cooking it longer but no dice. I don’t know what I did wrong : (

• I’m also frustrated that I spent 10 bucks on the stuff to make this (not including the chips) and just had to throw it out, I could’ve gone to a restaurant and ordered this for much cheaper and not had to worry about the clean up…

96. Can I use Velveeta Queso Blanco? I cannot find a single store in my city that sells Land O’ Lakes deli products! AHH!

• Hi Katie. The white American cheese doesn’t necessarily need to be Land o’ Lakes, I just prefer that brand. You can try the Velveeta, but I have heard it’s too strong and it will be a little different (my guess is that it will be thicker and creamier). But, it might be good! :) My sister-in-law buys the slices of White American cheese at Walmart (located with the other sliced American cheese in the section with shredded cheese, string cheese, etc….not the deli) and it works for this recipe just fine. I’m going to test it out myself, soon, because it will be cheaper! :)

(I’m sure you have done this, but make sure you are checking at the deli counter, too, where they cut the blocks of cheese for you.)

• Katie, I tried this with the Velveeta brand queso blanco and I personally didn’t care for it. Tasted too much like plain old yellow Velveeta to me. If you have a butcher shop or meat market close, try looking there for white american. The difference in flavor is worth seeking it out.

• Since I never heard back, I went ahead with the Velveeta, and it was perfect! It was perfectly runny and delicious, didn’t taste anything like the regular Velveeta. As a matter of fact, it was such a success, that my brother in law asked me to make more again last night. It has been the perfect edition to grilled chicken, nachos, chicken burgers, and vegetables.

• Hi Katie. I responded to your comment the same day you left it (see above). Are you not able to see it? If not, I want to make sure I work on fixing that bug.

Glad the dip turned out for you!! It’s always an honor to have your bro-in-law making food requests. ;)

Thanks!
          Nikki

97. Perfect! This is the recipe I have tried to recapture. Thank you so much and the poster who sent it to you as well!

98. Does anyone know of any good chips for it?

99. My husband and I have been eating at a Mexican restaurant for the past several years which has the BEST bean and queso dip ever. I now think it has met its match! I made this dip and it is DELICIOUS! When serving, I put the queso on top of a layer of refried beans. YUM! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

100. I tried to scan through all the comments to avoid a duplicate question, but there are a lot of comments! Sorry if this was already addressed. How spicy is the dip? I’m a mild picante sauce kind of girl, will this be painful for a wimp like me? Thanks for sharing…can’t wait to try it!

101. Tanisha says:

WOW! I just whipped this up in less than 10 minutes for a dinner party I’m hosting tomorrow and it is just out of this world! I made half the amount of cheese dip, but since I like it with a bit of a kick, I only 3/4′ed the chillies and jalapenos. I am having a little trouble getting rid of some of the lumps of cheese that didn’t melt completely, any tips? Should I just keep warming by the minute and mixing? THANKS!!

• Hi Tanisha,
      Yes, I would keep warming by the minute… or maybe even 30 seconds once you get past 5 minutes. I made it again tonight, and it was done in 4:30 minutes, so it can vary. :)

Glad you liked it!

102. Dawn Crum says:

Can I keep the jalapenos out of the recipe and the green chilis? My husband is very picky and if sees anything in there other than just white cheese, he will not touch it. I definitely know I would eat this because I will try anything, but my husband is a totally different story.

• haha! I would at least put in the pickled jalapeno juice for some kind of flavor. He won’t see it. ;) But, yes, you can leave them out, but in my opinion (and probably yours, too) it won’t taste as good. :)

103. seniledragon says:

I am so excited to find this receipe! I love love love the dip in the restarant but never could match it. Now I have hope!!

104. I was looking for something different to make the other night for dinner and I didn’t want to make just plain tacos so I was looking on Pinterest and came across your first attempt queso dip. While reading that I saw the link to this dip and had to give it a try. It was amazing!! So easy and delicious and it went perfectly with our fahitas. I am having a nacho bar for my son’s birthday party in a few weeks and will definitly be putting this on the menu.

105. Cecilea says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this queso!!! For some of you that are concerned with the cost Velveta makes a queso blanco now and 16 oz is $4.32 here. I added .25 lb (about 1cup)of grated Monterey Jack cheese kept every thing else the same(cost me just under $7) … absolutely AMAZING!!! I have been looking for this recipe for years… tried dozens of versions and this is hands down the best!

106. I was going to use this recipe for a homemade nacho lunchable. Is is still a scoopable consistency if cold or room temp?

• Hi Linda,
      It definitely is much thicker as it cools, and probably too thick when refrigerated. I’m not sure it would be a great fit for a packaged lunch…

107. No microwave. They are evil! Just use a pot and the stove top. Just as easy and safer.

108. Patty Webster says:

Hi, I found your website through pinintrest and I tried your white queso dip recipe. Wow it is to die for !! I am making a mexican fiesta for myself and some friends. Whenever we go to our mexican eatery here in town we devour this dip.

I had to change a few things because I didn’t have on hand everything you listed. I used La Morentia Mexican melting cheese,and Tres Hermanas mild Jalapenos (they are not pickled). Everything else was the same. The dip turned out really well !! P.S. I can’t wait to see the look on their faces when they sit
    down to eat and I pull this dip out for them !!

Thanks so much!!

109. Hey, I am absolutely in love with this but I was wondering if anyone has tried using skim milk instead of whole? My family finds is absolutely repugnant. It would lose some consistency I’m sure.. but is there any substitution? More cheese maybe?

• Hi Paitin,
      You can probably substitute it just fine, but maybe use a little less of the skim so to avoid it being too thin and watery. I wonder, though, if you didn’t even tell your family that they would even notice, as the star player here is really the cheese. :)

• I have only used the skim as to this is the only milk we ever have on hand. It is absolutely fine, it is a little thin but we don’t mind it at all. It does thicken as it sits. This is our go to dip now for nachos.

110. If you were going to serve this and needed to keep it warm I bet a fondue pot would work nicely!!

111. dose anyone know if 2 % milk works the same as whole??

112. sweet!! thanks you so much..

113. Amy Quinn says:

My husband and I are eating this right now and it’s worth a try! We made ours in a pot and stirred constantly because we were nervous about the microwave but it turned out amazing! Love it! We will definitely be making this again. Thank you!

114. I made this tonight, yuck! The white american cheese did not melt, after microwaving for 10 minutes, I was able to at least taste the most bland, gritty queso I’ve ever had. I followed this recipe to a T in fact, I’ve made it before with Velveeta Blanco and never had a problem. What a waste of $20!

115. This is the elusive white queso dip recipe I’ve been searching for! I have tried to re-create the queso from my favorite Mexican place with no luck. I am POSITIVE this will work and this will be the one! I’m going to the store immediately after work!

116. My boyfriend and I tried this recipe last night and it was amazing! I felt like I was eating it right from the restaurant!!! I definitely recommend this recipe!!!!

117. I just made this and it is soooooo good!!! The only problem I had was took about 12 minutes to melt all the cheese and then the texture was close to cottage cheese. Not at all runny like yours. The only thing different was the brand name of the cheese from our local deli. Maybe that makes the difference? Anyhow, so very tasty and Thanks for sharing!!!

• The texture was like cottage cheese?? Wow, strange! But, at least you still liked it I guess? haha! You might be right about the brand of cheese. I know that Land o’ Lakes has a better melting point. At the same time, I have used other brands without a problem. Very interesting! :)

118. emma Dominguez says:

just made this and it’s perfect!! thank you soooo soooo much for sharing!

119. I thought I saw this before but there are too many comments to go through but has anyone ever used the Velveeta Queso Blanco cheese? How did it turn out? I’m making a triple batch of this and don’t want to spend $21 on the cheese.

• Heidi,
      I haven’t used the Velveeta Queso Blanco, but if I remember right, I believe in the comments above there were mixed reviews. If you want to go a cheaper route, I have also tried using the sliced, individually wrapped, White American Cheese that is MUCH cheaper (just like the Kraft American Cheese slices that you use for grilled cheese sandwiches, but white). My Kroger doesn’t carry it, but Walmart does and it was like $2, I think. The results are slightly different, but worth saving the money if you’re making a triple batch.

Can I ask why you’re making a triple batch? How many people are you serving? One batch makes a TON, so just making sure you really need to make a triple batch… :)

• It’s for a birthday party for about 45 people. I am having a nacho bar. I just wanted to make sure I had enough.

• You should definitely have enough with a triple batch. In fact, you might be good with just a double…but better safe than sorry, right? :) Have fun at the birthday party!!

120. I thought this recipe might be too good to be true because I am picky about my white cheese dip! This really is just like the restaurants!

For those Kroger shoppers unable to find Land O’Lakes brand, I bought the Kroger brand white american from the deli counter and it melted great. It was $5.99 a pound.

121. I have a question. I am going to make this recipe for the first time and I am super excited especially after reading all of these reviews! The one thing I have always wondered though is my grocery store actually sells Queso Fresco Cheese and also the Cacique brand of queso melting cheese too. How do you think it would turn out If that cheese was used? I plan on using the White American since I already bought it but I was just curious! :)

• Hi Joy,
      I have those cheeses available, too, but have never used them because the trick here is using the white American cheese. From what I’ve been told it has a better melting point and works better for dips. But, if you try out the other types of cheese, please report back on how it went! :)

122. This queso dip is perfect! My husband and I added sautéed peppers and onions along with grilled steak, chicken, and shrimp to ‘mimic’ our favorite appetizer t a local restaurant. Thanks for the help with the queso! So much better than the last time we tried!!!

123. This sounds yummy! Has anyone ever added leftover (or intended) steak into the mix? A local restaurant (Texas Land and Cattle) has a steak queso on their appetizer menu that my kids clamor for every time we go. I’m going to try adding steak to mine tomorrow after I fire up the grill. Thanks!

124. I just went to the store with my father, and we picked up all the ingredients. We went to the deli and got Publix Deli White American Cheese, and got the rest of the ingredients (save for cumin).

I can tell you guys, it turned out PERFECT! This is it! This is the recipe!

Here’s a pic of my result: http://sadpanda.us/images/1200517-IXD8RVC.jpg

125. I actually used the Velveeta Queso Blanco shredded cheese, just to experiment, and it worked great. The flavor and consistency are just like the cheese dip we get at our local Mexican restaurants. Thanks for sharing this recipe. My husband and I loved it!

• I recently saw that in the stores and was very curious. Thanks for sharing your experience with it! :)

• I used that too and mine worked out great as well.

• I’ve also used the Velveeta Queso Blanco and cut it into chunks to melt in the microwave along with a little of my homemade salsa. Works great! I wanted a recipe with just block cheese. So I know that I’m beginning with milk, cheese, not many preservatives, and whatever else I want. This recipe seems to fit the bill.

126. I haven’t tried the recipe yet but for all those people who have a high price of the cheese. I got 3 lbs for $7.98 at Sam’s Club which makes it less than $3 a pound.

127. So glad to find this recipe. Can’t wait to make it and dig in! Thanks, y’all.

128. Love the dip and chips they serve at mexican resturants. Now all i need is the chip recipe. Any one have one?

129. I have been searching for a recipe to figure out the mexican cheese dip for a long time now!!! Thank you so much!!!!! Its awesome!!!!! :)

130. this stuff is seriously insane!! The best!(:

131. Does this “keep” in the fridge or freezer for future use? If so, reheat in the same way it was made?

132. This tasted great, the closest thing to a restaurant queso I’ve ever made, but was a little thin for our taste. I used the Kraft cheese but I don’t see how that would’ve made a difference. I’ll just cut back on the liquid a bit next time, and I didn’t add the cumin but will try that too for a little more of a kick. Thank you!!

• Just wanted to add that the leftovers were a perfect consistency..not too thick or thin. And the flavor just got better! This is an awesome recipe, and I would highly recommend the Kraft cheese to those on a tight budget.

133. Charity Swift says:

thank you for sharing your wisdom! Going to try this right now!!!

134. Made this the other night. DELICIOUS! Having it again today while watching football all afternoon!

135. Must go make now!!!

136. Julie Bowden says:

why the 2 milks? Whole milk? and Cold milk? can it be the same?

137. Thanks sooooooo much! this is great and so much simpler than what I have been making!

138. I tried this recipe, it smells delicious…but I have a problem with it. I couldn’t get a block of white american cheese, so I used slices. Yes, blasphemy, I know! Is that probably the reason that it turned out very liquidy? It basically looks like white soup. I looked through various grocery stores and couldn’t find any blocks of White American and already had slices at home so just went ahead with those before buying the more expensive cheese at the deli counter.

• Yes, that is probably the issue. Although, my sister-in-law and I have both used the white American cheese slices, it does take a little bit of tweaking…less liquid ingredients. Did you check the deli counter at your grocery stores for the block cheese? That is where you should be able to find it. :)

139. I just made this, and am in fact eating it right now. It is SO delicious, and so easy to make. And it makes so much! It has just the right amount of heat and flavor. Thank you for posting this, it’s going to be a new regular around my house!

140. Kristi F. says:

Have you ever put this in a mini crock pot? Do you think it will work? This looks amazing!

• I have not, but earlier commenters said they have. My suggestion is to make it in the microwave first, then transfer to the crock pot to keep warm. :)

141. Hi I was wondering if you had the recipe for the white sauce they serve at some restaurants.

142. I just made this cheese for a party and it was absolutely amazing, just like everyone said! It really does taste like something from a Mexican restaurant or the queso from Moe’s. We melted it in the microwave and kept it warm in the fondue pot on low, and it worked out really well. It was a bit chunky with the jalepenos and green chiles, but my fiance said he didn’t chop them very finely (rushing before the party!) so I think with those chopped (or maybe pureed in the food processor?) it will have a better liquidy consistency that I prefer. This is definitely going to be a saved recipe in our house!

why do all this when u can just buy a block of it at walmart add milk it exactly the same seriously

144. I love this dip! I’ve made it to take to a friend’s house and everyone there enjoyed it too! I make it as instructed then transfer it to a mini crockpot set on WARM. It is quite runny out of the crockpot but if you put some in a bowl/chip platter, it thickens as it cools. It doesn’t last long enough to get really thick!

As far as the cost, sure the cheese can be a little pricey but I have all the other ingredients on hand. I figure if I pay $5.99 for the cheese and a few $$ for the chips, I have a pretty inexpensive appetizer to serve a crowd!

Thank you for the recipe!

145. I am a bit curious, would it be ok to just cut out the jalepenos? I love cheese dip but I usually ask for it without the jalepenos when we go out. I’m just not sure if this recipe will still work…

• Sure! It will just have a little less flavor and no heat. (The heat here is very mild even with the pickled jalapenos. I don’t like much spiciness, myself.) :)

146. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. This is the real deal. I have been looking for the answer to great queso blanco and it was in my fridge all along. I use LOL White American for everything. Incredible!

147. Ha! I went looking for a Queso Fresco Dip for our family party today and look who’s site I landed on! : D Going to have to run to meijers tho, because I bought Monterey Jack not the white american type cheese. Cant wait to try this!

148. made this Thanksgiving day and it was a big hit. Thanks for sharing.

149. what would be the australian cheese equivalent?

does anybody know?

I have been dying to make queso since i left the states but our cheeses are alot different. Ours can be abit more traditional and less processed and therefore not really giving the proper taste.

Any suggestions?

150. Can you make it on the stove?

151. Came out too runny. Took longer than 5 minutes for all the cheese too melt, and then once everything was melted, it had to be stirred extensively to get the liquid and the cheese to blend together. The optional pinch of cumin is definitely necessary for good flavor.

152. This was delicious and addictive! No one could get enough when I served it at my last party. Thanks for the great recipe! Next time, I might add a bit of hot sauce to it for even more of a kick! YUM!

153. I just tried this and mine is SUPER runny. All the cheese is melted and I’ve been stirring like a mad woman. Any suggestions on how to thicken it up, short of running to the store for more cheese?

154. I can’t wait to try this. I am making a lot of Mexican dishes for my family on Christmas Eve. I have a sister-in-law who helps cook for a retirement home. I called her and asked if she could get the Land of Lakes Extra Melt Cheese from their food service. She called and YES she was able to get it for me and I picked it up today. I had to get six five pound blocks of it but the food service said it freezes very well. My daughter said she will buy a block and my sil also bought a block which leaves with with four but that is fine! Do you add the cumin to yours?

• Wow! You got your hands on the gold! ;) I’m wondering, though, if the melting time will be different? Please report back!

(Yes, I add the pinch of cumin to mine.) :)

• Hi Nikki! Well I couldn’t wait until Christmas Eve to try this. I had the cheese and I was just itching to make it lol. It is awesome! I added the cumin and it gave it just the right touch! Since I was using the extra melt I only added the milk at first and waited til it melted some to see if it needed the water. It did and after adding it it was perfect. Some are saying it’s too runny but that is how it is served in my fave Mexican restaurants. My daughter loved it and took the leftover dip home with her! Thank you again for this recipe!

155. Sorry if this has been asked already, but how does this taste without the spicy stuff? I’m super sensitive to spicy foods but love this dip, the kind we have where I am isn’t spicy at all, just delicious. Would it be still good without those ingredients or do they add some secret ninja non-spicy deliciousness?

• Hi Heather, I haven’t had it without the rest of the ingredients. If you don’t add the rest, it will just be melted American cheese…which some people like. Maybe try leaving out the chiles and seed the jalapenos before you chop them up and put them in. :) Then, you’ll have most of the flavor, but hardly any heat. (It’s not all that spicy anyway.) :)

156. Just wanted to let you know, I made this last year for a party and when discussing best food I ever made with the BF this weekend, this came up as #1! Guess what I’m making tonight!!

157. My comment to this is: I have an even easier recipe for this, cream cheese low fat if you like, a jelapeno de seeded or if you like heat with seeds and a little bit of milk, this recipe came from a co-worker who’s parents owned a Mexican restraunt in town

158. Teresa Clark says:

Do you use the cumin if so does it taste the same without it?

159. I’m surprised to read how to store the leftovers….I’m thinking there might not be any. Lol! Gonna give this a try soon.

160. Perfect, just perfect, this SAVED my queso!!!

161. Perfect!!Thanks for sharing.

162. This recipe is so good! I made it today and it tastes just like the dip we get at our local Mexican place! My only note is that I had to microwave it for about 6 1/2 minutes in my microwave, but after that it came out great!

163. I have been making this for about a year now with just the cheese, chiles and liquid. I buy my Land O’Lakes cheese at BJ’s Wholesale Club. The large rectangle is under $10 and I can use it 2-3 times depending on how much I make. Check your local Wholesale club. I have also seen the exact same chess in Walmart’s Deli. Hope this helps, I am going to try the pickled jalapeños, my recipe does not call for those

164. I made this for our NYE get together and it was a HUGE hit. Seriously, I was ready to go out NY Day and get another block of cheese to make another batch just for me. I’ve been craving it for two days. DELISH!!!
    I did heat for longer than 5 mins and cut back on the jalapenos a bit for our tastes, but would highly recommend this to anyone!!

165. Hi, i am wondering if they have to be pickled jalapenos or can i use plain?

166. Ileen Cuccaro says:

How about yellow Land o lakes. My Fav Mex place the queso is yellow?

167. A. Tuttle says:

Thanks to Pinterest, I found this recipe. It is wonderful. I used a lb of Kraft white american cheese slices.I just cut the water down a speck and the milk a speck. It worked perfectly. Glad I ound your site. I’ll be trying more ideas.

168. definitely not how you’re suppose to make this dip. If
    you’re making queso you don’t use American cheese or
    water. That’s like putting tomato sauce in enchiladas.

• But, have you tried this recipe? I think you’ll change your mind once you taste it…

• I posted earlier about getting the Land of Lakes Extra melt cheese from a food service truck in my area. This is for the previous commenter – The driver of the truck said he delivers this SAME cheese which is white american to the Mexican restaurants here! So yes they do use it for this dip. :) It’s wonderful and tastes just like what they make. Thank you again, Nikki for posting this recipe and for all your hard work that went into making it just right. My family loves it and I have made it many times. After all I did have to buy 30 pounds of the cheese lol. Happy New Year to you and your family!

169. We use El Viajero restaurant style Mexican dipping cheese, plain or with jalopeno…..just add 9 oz of milk and heat (and its gluten free), taste just like the El Nopal we go to

170. I found Land’O Lakes White American Cheese at the local Safeway, and Walmart deli counter, so I bought a pound to start. I plan to do it tomorrow with your recipe. In the past, I’ve found my cheese sauce starts to get a skin on top as it cools in the bowl. This doesn’t seem to happen at my local Mexican restaurant. As their dip cools it thickens, but I’ve never seen that “skinning” or skimming on the top.

Does this recipe slow that skinning/skimming process as the sauce cools? If not, do you know what they add to do it? I seem to recall once before where it tasted as if they’d added too much flour or a fine gravy flour, so I wonder if that’s the magic?

• Hi K2,
      Yes, this does get the “skin” you are talking about sometimes as it cools. I just stir it up and it goes away. But, I have been to some restaurants where that happens, as well. I’m not sure what the magic is for when it doesn’t! :)

171. Tonight is nacho night in my house and after being so unhappy with the ole Velveta and Rotel nacho sauce we’ve made for years, I finally took the plunge to hunt a new recipe and found yours. I’ve just whipped this up and it’s OMG good! Thank you so much for sharing!

172. I made this dip today and it is TO DIE for yummy! I couldn’t find the Land O Lakes cheese (I didn’t even think to look at the deli counter at Wal-Mart, that’s where I went. I ended up with Velveeta brand queso blanco. It’s not exactly the same, I’m sure, but it’s still really good and melts very nicely! I will be making this again and again! Thank you for posting, and I’ll check out the deli counter at Wally for the Land O Lakes brand next time I’m there! NOM NOM! I just ate my weight in this dip, homemade salsa, and chips. I must go for a run, now.

173. Sherry in Union, KY says:

This is as good as the queso blanco dip served in Mexican restaurants. I just wanted to jump into the bowl and eat my way out. Thanks so much for the recipe!

174. Thank you for this recipe. I just wanted to say that I used a package of my grocery store’s brand of “deluxe” sliced american cheese, and it worked perfectly. It doesn’t matter if the cheese is pre-sliced or not… after all, it is all going to be melted anyway! Just don’t use the individually wrapped singles… that’s “processed cheese food!”. Ick.

Also, it is much more flavorful the next day, and reheats wonderfully! THANK YOU!!!

175. I just made this for my family. I was very skeptical that it would turn out good but boy was I surprised. This is fantastic! We grilled chicken and made rice then covered everything in this dip. My husband said this is the best meal I have ever made. Thanks so much for sharing.

176. Amazing! So yummy! We gobbled it all up, and what little leftovers we had we ate the next day! Thanks so much!

177. This is deeeeeeeeeeelightful!!!! I tried this and It is Perfect!!!! TY TY TY TY!!!!

178. Danielle A. says:

I made this tonight, halved the recipe easily, and OMG!!! So so good. Not too spicy, just right, like my favorite Mexican restaurant that is 200 miles away. I love that I can easily stock the ingredients at home and make whenever I want. Thanks so much!

179. My husband and I absolutley love Mexican food and had a number of places in Atlanta that we would frequent to get great queso! However, we moved abroad last year and since we have been here we’ve been unable to find queso, that meet our standards, at the few Mexican restaurants! So when I came across your recipe I had to give it a try….. All I can say is THANK YOU! It’s delicious and goes perfect with my homemade salsa and guacamole!

180. YES. Just made a batch and it was great! Tastes very similar to the Moes queso and doesn’t suffer from solidifying fast. We did have a slight issue with the consistency being to liquid-y. We did a half batch and halved all the ingredients and it needed to be thickened with corn starch, so it got a bit starchy as well. I’d recommend reducing the milk/water amount, that way it as a thicker consistency and will be slightly more concentrated.

• Thanks, Nick! I wonder if it was too liquidy because of halving the recipe. It’s definitely not too liquidy for us when making the full batch. But, variations of types of cheese can make the texture different as well. :) Thanks for your feedback and I’m glad you enjoyed it!

181. I am so excited to find this recipe! I have been trying to perfect a queso dip for so long….this looks perfect! I will be making it for my son’s graduation party this week….I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for posting it!

182. I never make my own queso dip, but this recipe seems plenty easy and sounds DELICIOUS! I can’t wait to test it out. Thanks for the inspiration!

183. Vanessa says:

THANK YOU for this recipe! I used to live on the South where all Mexican restaurants serve this. My mom used to visit and would specially request visits to restaurants that serve this. When I moved back to the NW, we both were sad to find that none of the Mexican restaurants serve it. We’ve been hankering for it and now we can make it anytime! This is SPOT ON! It is exactly right! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

184. what you are actually looking for is called Chihuahua cheese which can be rather pricey. it originates from Menonites from northern mexico in Chihuahua. The reason you have a specific recipe is because many mexican restaurants cut corners by starting with cheaper cheeses to save money. The flavor can come close, but nothing beats real Chihuahua cheese. You can take it from me, my family owns a mexican restaurant and we have a mexican buffet every year for Christmas. I live in Missouri btw :)

185. This was a great recipe, thank you very much!

186. Didn’t work for me, it came out watery with the cheese clumped in the middle….

• Did you use land o lakes? I have tried with two other cheaper brands of white American and the cheese didn’t want to melt and came out with a gross texture.

187. Thank u sooo much for the recipe. My family has been tweaking this dip for years! It is always too thick or too thin! We cannot wait to make it again now! Ty again!

188. bay0311 says:

Could you not use the Velveeta blocks?

• Hi Bay0311. You can, but the consistency and taste is different. Personally, I do not like Velveeta blocks, and if you’re able to dig through the comments above, you will see some who have liked it and some have not. Up to you! :)

189. I wonder how fat free half-and-half would work? It would be less fat, but more like the heavy cream, maybe. I use it all the time in my homemade ice creams! :-)

Quick question can you use Velvettas queso blanco ( white cheese) to make the sauce

• You could, but I wouldn’t prefer it as the texture and taste will be different. But, some have used it and like it. :)

191. So amazing! I have been searching for over a year for the perfect cheese dip recipe and this is it! I use heavy cream instead of milk and it is delicious. You can tailor the level of spice by adding or removing jalapenos. So easy to make and tastes just like Moe’s queso dip!

192. Denise Luddeke says:

This queso dip is amazing!! I don’t like a spicy dip, so I left out all the jalapenos and cumin, and only put in the green chilies; I used Boar’s Head white cheddar, and after the cheese was melted with the milk and water, I stirred in taco meat (about 1 lb.) that I made ahead of time. You never saw chips and dip flying so quickly as when this was served warm with Tostitos chips. Thanks for the recipe!! It’s 5-star!!!!!

193. Made this last night. It was so yummy my husband didn’t want to share. We didn’t add the jalapenos though. I’m not a fan of super spicy, but just the chiles tasted like the dip from our favorite Mexican restaurant. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing.

194. Sorry if this was already asked, but did you use canned chilis?

195. I’m confused about the whole milk and then the cold? Does the other milk need to be warm or room temperature?

196. Ok one more question (sorry I’m not trying to be difficult :)

I could only find pickled jalapeno slices… when you say 2 pickled jalapenos, I’m assuming you mean whole? Do you have any idea how many slices I would need if you are talking about whole?

Thank you!!

• Hi Casey,

Sometimes I can only find the slices, too. I use around 4-6 of them, I think. It really just depends on how spicy you want it. :)

197. Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about how many people this would serve? Wanted to make it for a party and just wanted to know if I needed to adjust the recipe. Thanks!!

198. Can u make this with queso fresco cheese?

199. I could only find sliced white american cheese at my local deli, will that work?

200. This is a good recipe, it tastes just like the one my sister makes at her Mexican
    restuaraunt

201. Made this for friends a week ago and everyone thought it was amazing (they’re right!) So I’m making it again today (because nothing says Thanksgiving like quest dip!) And I’m making it again tomorrow night for even more friends… because I wish I could eat this every day! Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe with us!

202. Thanks for the recipe! I ended up halving the entire recipe and it turned out great. Local store only had Boar’s Head White American cheese but it worked very well and was quite tasty. I also added a few extra jalapenos for some added kick. Will be making this for a holiday party snack!

203. I’d love to try your dip, but I can’t find canned green chilis! What brand do you use, so I have a reference?

• Hi Laura,
      I use whatever brand I can find in the grocery store. I’m pretty sure every store has them. I get them at Walmart and Kroger (never had issues finding them in any other store either). Since I can’t remember any of the brand names at this time, maybe it’s helpful to tell you where in the store to look for them? Look in the “Ethnic” aisle, or the Mexican food aisle.

204. I just made this recipe and it’s a winner! I shop at HyVee and the deli only had the Dilusso brand of cheese, but it melted perfectly! I had some heavy whipping cream to use up, so I substituted that for the milk and the consistency came out very creamy right away….I might even add some milk or water to thin it a bit. Will definitely make this again!

205. I made this for New Years and it was PERFECT!!! The only jarred jalapenos my stored had were slices, so I totally guessed there. It was delicious and will try more of your recipes! Thank you!!

206. We have a mexican restaurant we LOVE in Kentucky (Acapulco) that serves a queso blanco. We have always made velveeta queso but after our last trip home decided we needed to try and recreate it, and make it better quality. There are a lot of recipes out there but this was almost too easy. I didnt have everything on hand so I just used the milk, water, cheese and a can of chopped green chilis but next time I think we’ll add the jalepenos for more heat. I’ve been cooking for years but it seems pretty foolproof. Thanks for helping us satisfy the craving!

207. jennylang7 says:

HI! I was wondering if the queso has to stay hot in a crock pot while served? Does it congeal? Or will it stay fluid and creamy for an hour at least? Thanks! I can’t wait to make it!

• Hi Jenny,
      It is best to keep it warm in a crock pot, especially if you want to keep it out for an hour. It will thicken as it cools.
      Thanks!

208. I used to live in Arkansas. I moved to California and could not find a local restraint with white cheese dip I’m very excited to try this because I miss it so much

209. Dave Sharp says:

The cheese and the milk/water would not combine. Added extra time in the microwave no joy cheese is now like glue…tossed the dip and deleted the recipe.

• Sorry it didn’t work for you Dave. I’ve make this all of the time with no issues of the ingredients not combining. What kind of cheese did you use? Did you make any alterations to the recipe?

• I have made this several times and it gets better every time! I like using canned jalapenos just because I’m lazy but they work well :)

210. Hello! I made this today and it is perfect! I used a blender once it was hot and it was smooth and mixed. Your blender will be a mess but the end product is so worth it!!

211. Would this recipe work without the spicy Ingredients if you don’t like spicy things

• Yes, it will. It will just taste like melted cheese with no additional flavor. I would still add the pickled juice. Can you take any spice at all? It’s actually not extremely spicy, but maybe just cut down on the amount of spice put in… :)

212. Went to GFS and picked up 5lb american cheese the melting kind for 3.25/ lb. Getting ready to make with chicken Fahita’s. (sp). Will let all know how it comes out.

213. This is my first time visit at here and i am actually pleassant to read everthing at alone place.

214. I can’t find white American cheese. What exactly is white American cheese? Help please.

Hi Cherry,

Ask your grocery store deli department for white American cheese. Most delis should have it. :)