Corn Casserole

Corn CasseroleCorn Casserole is one of my favorite sides during the holidays or at potlucks during any time of the year.  It is the easiest recipe to throw together and can be prepared with various ingredients mixed in.  Me?  I like it in its simplest form, with mainly cheese, corn and corn bread.  Mmmm…mmmm…good!

Corn CasseroleSome people like to top their corn casserole with cheese, but I like to stir it into the mix instead.  It’s really just a preference thing, so you can decide.  I just don’t like to cover up the yummy crackly corn bread with greasy looking melted cheese.  But, hey, I’m not going to try and sway your opinion.  :)

Corn Casserole

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 6-8 servings

Corn Casserole

A favorite of ours not only during the holidays but year round, too!

• 1 (15 1/4 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (14 3/4 oz) can cream-style corn
  • 1 (8 oz) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9- by 9-inch baking pan or a 2 quart casserole dish.

Mix together the corn, Jiffy, sour cream and butter in a large bowl. Stir in the cheese. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Note: You can bake for a shorter time in a 9x13, but the texture will be different than baking in the 9x9 or 2 quart casserole. The 9x13 will be thin slices where the 2 quart casserole produces more of a corn pudding. Either way is delicious.

Source: Paula Deen via The Food Network

Comments

1. what a delicious blog! here is so many uncanny inspirations!

have a nice time,
    Paula

2. i love these dishes, corn souffles and casseroles are an underrated side dish!

3. I made this recipe last year for the first time and everyone loved it. Yours looks great!

4. Mmm! Looks good!

So where does the cheese go? Do you mix it in or serve on top?

5. Ah, never mind. Perhaps I should actually read the recipe. :)

6. We always make this at Thanksgiving but have never added cheese to it…. YUM!

7. what a coincidence – my friend told me he was making corn casserole for thanksgiving dinner. i’d never heard about it before, but came across this recipe just a couple of hours later! it looks yummy!

8. Thanks for this recipe! I can’t wait to make it at a family get together!

9. I just came across your site.. LOVE IT!!! This corn casserole will be perfect for superbowl to serve with my chili! Thank you for the great ideas. I am now a follower

Cheers

10. I love this recipe…I throw slices of pickled jalapenos in mine (idea courtesy of Deen Bros.!)…yum!

11. I live in Australia what can i use in replace of Jiffy?

12. What is the texture of this supposed to be?

• It’s hard to explain. Mushy, is my best word for it. Its not supposed to be like corn bread. Kind of like a cream corn, but cakier. But, not as cakey as corn bread. Does that help?

13. Annette Taylor says:

One question!! Do you mix up your jiffy mix per box instructions then mix all ingredients together. I have made it that way and it seems really gummy!!

• Nope, just use the Jiffy mix…not the rest of the ingredients listed on the box (so, do not add the egg and milk). Just follow the recipe directions as listed above. :)

• Annette Taylor says:

Thank you Nikki!! That’s why mine turned out so gummy then!! Just came across your blog on Pinterest and can’t wait to explore!!Happy Thanksgiving!!

14. Krystal Dorn says:

I found that melting the butter in the baking dish helps to keep the casserole from sticking while also putting the butter into the recipe as needed. Also I add some cheddar cheese into the recipe. For more of a moist texture rather than cakey, add a lil extra sour cream. <3

• Thanks Krystal. The recipe above actually calls for cheddar cheese, too.

(Also, I made your correction for you in the comments. That cracked me up!!) :)

15. My aunt made this for Thanksgiving (though she got the recipe from a friend) and it’s soooooo good.

16. I have always made corn casserole like this…..and it’s a huge hit!!

2 pkg Jiffy corn muffin mix
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 can creamed corn
    1 sm can diced green chilies
    1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese

Mix together 1 pk Jiffy, put in bottom of greased casserole dish.
    Mix together corns, chilies, and cheese. Pour on top of the Jiffy.
    Mix together last pk Jiffy and pour on top.
    Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 min….watching for top layer of Jiffy to be golden…..ENJOY!!!

…..gonna try your version too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. i have also made this..my meat lover husband suggested I throw in some ground beef. Very yummy and simple recipe a+

18. Cheryl McKinney says:

Everyone ask me to make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I do not use the cheese. I have been cooking this way before Paula Dean. ha ha

19. Made this tonight and it was very good. I used fiesta corn (with the bits of red and green peppers) because I thought it might be a bit bland…and added a tablespoon of sugar to help sweeten it a bit. I’ll def make again with the fiesta corn and possibly add a bit more sugar! Thanks!

• Wow, sounds really good with the fiesta corn! But, I will add, that it is very good without it and not bland at all in case you were wondering. :)

20. Made this the other night and it was SO GOOD!

21. i have the same thing but i put teaspoon of sugar & real bacon bits…i make it for every holiday…

22. also i was reading some of the post. I mix my jiffy mix per box instruction then add corn sugar real bacon bits & sour cream also i add a little bit of pepper..

23. To use the 9×13, wouldn’t the recipe need to be doubled? The casserole dish in the picture looks small. =)

• Nope, it can be made in a 9×13 without doubling. The casserole dish pictured is actually large (and deep). In a 9×13 it will be a little thinner, but the baking time doesn’t change. You can check the original recipe if you’re not sure. :)

• That is why I asked. When I watched the video she uses a 9×9 or maybe 10×10 dish. I did just read a lot of her reviews and some double and some do not. I guess it just depends on how fat you want it. ;) Sounds delicious, regardless.

24. This recipe is soooo good. I haven’t made it in ages. Maybe I’ll dig it up again.

25. Maureen says:

I made the corn casserole for Easter dinner.It was a big hit.Very good. Thank-You.

26. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS RECIPE!!!!!!!!!!!! So easy to make and love the sweetness.

27. I live this recipe!! I love adding jalapenos for a extra little kick!!

28. I’m also dying to try this recipe, but I live in Canada and have never seen Jiffy mix – this is what I found as a substitute:
    Thanks for the recipe! can’t wait to make it :)

29. I use that exact recipe but add a can of Rotel to mine. My kids devour this! (Last time I made it I didn’t have any sour cream and I was making it Christmas morning so all the stores were closed. I mixed Mayonnaise and Ranch Dressing to take the place of the sour cream….turned out GREAT!!)

30. Kimberly Handjis says:

I absolutely love this recipe. I try to make it whenever I get a chance. Everyone that has tried it loves it as well.

31. Did anyone else use a 9X12 pan as directed for this recipe? My casserole came out very thin and over done. I followed the recipe with no additions or substitutions, could it have been the pan size?

32. Bethany says:

I love this recipe and everyone always asks me to make it for every potluck diinner we have. I wanted to let everyone know a great tip to add to this to make it that much better and that’s to take out the casserole just 5 minutes shy of being done and add shredded sharp cheddar on top liberally. Continue to cook for the remaining 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. You and your guests will never be disappointed!!! Let me know if you try it and tell me what you think! :-)

33. I made this today for the first time and my husband and I both liked it ALOT. I did add a few jalapenos:)

34. Courtney says:

Can the corn casserole be prepared the night before but cooked the next day??? Looking forward to having this at my BBQ but trying to make as much ahead of time as possible.

35. Does it freeze and then reheat well? I love this recipe :)

• Hi Amy,
      I’ve never frozen it, so I’m not really sure. If you try to freeze it, come back and let us know how it turned out! :)

• Alrighty.
        I made this in a muffin tin for the sake of individual portions (makes 15 “muffins”) and then froze them. Just reheated my first one in the microwave for about a minute and a half.

Delicious!

36. Jennifer says:

Making this again today! I made it a couple of weeks ago and we loooooved it, today I’m making it to take to dinner at a friend’s house. My only variation is that I add a little melted butter to a sleeve of crushed Ritz and put on top of the casserole before I put it in the oven. It’s really good. Definitely gonna try jalapenos sometime too! :)

37. When I make this I add a small can of chopped green chilies and 1/2 of a iced onion. It’s fantastic!

38. Can I make it in a crockpot? Any ideas on the cooking time.

• Hi Rebecca,
      I have not tried it in a crock pot, but I’m sure you can do it. If I were to try it, I would mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl, then dump it in a crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. If you do it, let us know how it turns out! I might give it a try myself! :)

39. Can I substitute cream style corn for anything I want to make this tonight but don’t have one..

40. Making this right know actually! Just popped it in the oven! Can’t wait to taste it! I’m a newlywed and always looking for new things to make!

41. Shirley Antley Taravella says:

My daughter makes this and it is delicious. I now make it. One of my favorites and so easy to fix.

42. I make this corn casserole but add onions in. I saute onions in butter then turn off stove once the onions are cooked and then add the sour cream to onions and mix this in the mixture. Mmm!

43. I used a 9 x 13 and it was quite thin but also tasty. Would using a 2 quart casserole dish be okay?

• Hi Mary,

Yes, I actually always use a 2-quart casserole dish and have been meaning to update this recipe. :) I’ll go do it now.

• Thx:)

• Hot Dog Sally says:

Please do update. It for sure needs to be doubled to turn out decent in a 9×13. In the original recipe, an 8×8 is used. =)

• Actually, the original recipe calls for the 9×13.

• Hot Dog Sally says:

Actually, if you watch the video Paula uses a 9×9 or an 8×8. The recipe is *written* by food network incorrectly.

• Interesting. I never watched the video until just now. The first few times I made this, I used the 9×13 as directed and really liked it. But, then I decided to use my 1 1/2-quart or 2 quart casserole dishes for the prettier presentation. I do agree it tastes better in the smaller casserole and would taste better in a 9×9 as well. Going to update again! :) Thanks, Hot Dog!

44. We’ve been having this in my family (and my husband’s) for decades! We don’t add the cheddar cheese, but will have to try it next time. We do stir about halfway through the cooking time. It helps it finish a little faster and leaves the middle a little less gummy :-)

45. Just found this recipe this week thru Pinterest. I have made it 3 times in 5 days at my family requests. I know this will be something I make quite often..My husband says his favorite restuarant should be making this..LOL. Thanks for the recipe.

46. Made this today for Labor Day cook out—-it was AMAZING!! Will definitely make this again. Thank you!

47. This reminds me of a side dish we had a Quality Meats in NYC- corn creme brûlée. I am making it right now and let you know how it compares!!

48. If you use a 2 quart casserole and double the recipe, would you still cook it the same amount of time as suggested?

• Hi Erin,
      If you double the recipe, you will probably need to bake it a little longer. I’m not sure it would all fit in a 2 quart casserole, though. The photo above is either a 1 1/2 quart or 2 quart and it’s pretty full as is.

49. How long will this keep and how does it reheat? I am making if for a family reunion but its tomorrow and I was wondering if I could make it today and re-heat it in the oven tomorrow?

• Yes, you can definitely make today, store in the fridge and reheat tomorrow. For best results, reheat in the oven at 350 until heated through. I would place the pan in the oven even while it’s preheating. :)

50. This was soooo yummy! My husband fell in love with me all over again!

51. I have used this basic recipe for 10 years. I use sour cream green onion dip and no cheese or chilies. Real good with turkey and all the trimmings. 5 grandsons love it!

52. I have made a version very close to this for years. I also add Mac and cheese to it. People always ask me for the recipe because it is so good. :)

53. I have made a variation of this receipe for years. My family loves it with onion and bell pepper added as well. Delicious!

54. I sometimes add crumbled bacon, course most things are better with BACON!!!!!

55. sometimes I add crumbled bacon, course most things are better with BACON!!

56. when u make this do u use the juice in the corn???

• The cream corn or the whole kernel corn? The ingredients list states to drain the whole kernel corn, but you use the entire contents of the cream corn.

• I have made this for forever and it is delish, but I don’t put cheese in it. Drain the whole kernel corn and don’t drain the creamed corn. Sometimes I add a small can of Mexi-corn for some spice (corn with red and green peppers mixed in). Add a little extra cream if it’s a little dry. You really can’t mess up this dish!

57. I also make this recipe every Thanksgiving and Christmas.It is a family favorite as well.

58. When I pinned this, the description said to add 2 eggs, is that a typo, bc I don’t see where it says to add eggs in your above recipe. Thanks!

59. I’m making this as we speak and it is still very runny. :( I used a 1 1/2 quart casserole as instructed in the recipe and followed everything else exactly. It’s WAY too much for this size dish! The top is burning but the inside is still liquid. So disappointed. Next time I will definitely use the 9×13 dish.

60. Where I live, we add a little bit of sugar, no cheese, and call it “Corn Pudding” LOL The name doesn’t sound as appetizing, but it’s still my favorite part of Thanksgiving!

61. Didn’t have sour cream, so used plain yogurt instead. Also cut up a package of hot dogs into bite sized pieces to add to this. Really like the yogurt better than the sour cream.. slow fried onions are going in next time we make it..

62. The recipe I use calls for two eggs in addition to the ingredients listed in the recipe. I bake my Corn Spoon read in an 11×7 inch casserole dish. It’s great paired with pinto beans. The recipe I use is com Cooks.com.

63. You forgot to put the eggs in the recipe!

64. Marlene Adams says:

I make this same recipe with the addition of 8 oz of cream cheese and no cheddar. I use a 2qt casserole dish.

65. Has anyone tried this in the crockpot?

66. Paula Vaughn says:

I’ve made this many times with the addition of a small can of green chilies. It’s always a big hit !

67. Hi Nikki,

I’m planning on making this for Thanksgiving this year, but I was just wondering about the consistency of it. I know you’ve been asked a few times already, but I was wondering if it’s something you can cut in a dish like you’ve shown and lift it without it being too mushy and falling apart.

68. LaBreska Tillman says:

I am making this for the upcoming holiday and really want to use my cast iron corn cut out pan for individual pieces (not sure that is the appropriate name for the pan). any suggestions or comments (cook temp cook time)..

69. Can you mix it up the day before and bake the next day? It seems like yes but has anyone done it before?

70. I was wondering if using a foil pan would b ok. Thanx!

71. Just made this for the first time tonight. It was a hit! It actually reminded me a lot of the little scoop of corn tamalitos that you get at Chevy’s (Mexican restaurant). Thanks for sharing!

72. What if I doubled the recipe and baked in a 9 x 13 pan? Do you think that would bake all the way through and be the right consistency? I would rather take one large casserole than two small ones.

73. I use cream cheese instead of sour cream!!! I also used a second box of corn mix to make it more solid and grainy!! I also use an extra can of corn.

74. I have made a corn fritter casserole that is basically the same, but instead of one can of whole kernel corn I use the medium sized can of Mexican corn. I also replace the sour cream with french onion dip (like you buy a pre-made in the refrigerated section). Yummy!

75. Just wanted to ask something…on the picture it lists eggs as an ingredient but when you go to the recipe eggs are not listed…are they supposed to be in the casserole? I did make this on Thanksgiving without the eggs and it was a big hit. It was requested that it be added to our usual list of holiday sides in the future! I was delicious!

• Hi Virginia,
      My photos do not list “eggs” as an ingredient so I’m not sure what you’re talking about? There are no eggs in this recipe.
      Thanks!
      Nikki

76. This looks so good! Im making for Christmas Eve dinner. Do you think this could be made the night before it is baked and left in the fridge?
    Thanks!

77. Yum! I add a little bit of vanilla extract and it gives it a sweet flavor without adding any sugar. You should try it! Thanks for the recipe!

78. I really want to make this for our Christmas meal tomorrow but I only have a big bag of frozen corn and no creamed corn. Can I just use the frozen and add some extra to make up for the creamed??

79. It’s very good if you put jalapenos in it!

80. I’ve made this casserole every year for Thanksgiving for the past 25 years at least. Everyone looks forward to it as one of the traditions of the Thanksgiving feast. You can’t go wrong with this recipe!

81. I found this recipe (and your fantastic blog!) via Pinterest, and I made this Corn Casserole the same night. I didn’t make any changes to the recipe. It. Was. Fabulous. Thank you so much for giving me another family favorite! By the way, as yummy as it was that night, it was even better the next day!

Hello! Thanks so much for this recipie, it was great! Mines came out looking exactly like the pics posted! We had a corn casserole dish, but not with cornbread and we used eggs, but this recipie was perfect! The only change that I made was that I aded about 2 tablespoons of sugar and it was absolutely delicious, this recipie is definently going into rotation, I can’t wait to make it again and it was definently just as good the next day and the day after that!. You can reheat in the oven on warm or in the microwave for about 2 minutes, maybe less depending on your microwave! This was an easy recipie that was well worth the time and ingrediants!

83. This casserole was just delicious!! I made it as instructed, except I used 1/2 cup of cheese and 3 tablespoons of sugar and it was nice and sweet, we loved it. We had a recipie or corn casserole but without the cornbread and with egg. But this is a new family favorite! Thanks for the recipie!

84. I’m making this for Easter dinner to share with a large group of friends. I watched the Paula Deen video on food network and although the recipe calls for a stick of butter in the video she says 1/2 stick. Since I’m doubling the recipe, I was wondering if I should use 2 sticks of butter or just 1? Do you use 1 stick of butter in yours or 1/2? Thanks for sharing the recipe!

85. christina says:

Is it supposed to taste so sweet?..i did exactly as the recipe said…and i am little sad :( its way to sweet

• Hi Christina, It’s somewhat a sweet corn casserole, but everyone has different taste preferences of what is “too sweet”.

86. I was making this for my 1 year old & I, so I tried to “healthy” it up a bit. I replaced the butter with coconut oil and sour cream with plain Greek yogurt. I also added a second box of jiffy mix because the consistency seemed a little thin.

87. Abby Phillips says:

Can you use frozen corn in place of the canned corn?

88. Made this with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and paired it with curried lentil soup…SO FLIPPING GOOD!!!

89. I’ve already made this three times!! My husband can’t get enough of it!! I want to make it for Thanksgiving, can I triple the recipe??

90. This was DELICIOUS! I made it with some chili. So so good. I tried it with & without cheese on top (just sprinkled it on half) & I preferred it without. I thought it needed just a teeny tiny amount of salt. However – as a leftover, it didn’t need it at all! So weird. I actually preferred it as a leftover. It was a little more solid & cakelike. Delicious! Would love to try it in the crockpot.

91. Tried for the first time today, served with chicken wings, Very good and will make again.

92. Do I have to add the cheese? I don’t really like cheese. So would it taste ok without it? Ig anyone had ever had voodoo BBQ, they have a corn soufflés that is delicious! Hoping it turns out kinda like this.

93. I’m wanting to make this for a work potluck using a 9×13 and doubling the recipe. If I were to make it the night before, any idea of how long it would take to reheat?

• Hi Crystal,
      I do not know the exact time it would take but I would put the casserole in while the oven is preheating to 350 and check it every 10 minutes until heated through.

94. Do you cover this with foil when baking?

95. I have made this recipe but I exchanged cream cheese for the sour cream and cheddar, not sure how or when that started. But it is creamy with a hint of sweetness. Love it! I’m going to try this version next. Thanks for posting!

96. Can you make this is a foil 9×9?

97. I found this last year on Pinterest and made it and loved it. I took it to Thanksgiving and got a ton of rave reviews and requests for it to be made again for Christmas. A year later more requests. Thank you so much for sharing! Happy Thanksgiving.

Susan

98. Can you make this in a muffin pan instead?

• Hi Kitty,
      I have never tried using a muffin pan for this recipe, but it seems like that should work! Now I want to give it a try! Come back and let us know if you do it and how they turned out! :)

99. Thank you for the recipe…I’m going to make this tomorrow for dinner…

100. I love this recipe and I’ve made it before fresh before a potluck. Do you have any suggestions on how to best reheat it if I need to make it the night before?

101. the eggs aren’t listed in the initial recipe. but they are included in your step by step direction on pinterest. you might want to add the eggs to the ingredients.

Hi Peggy,
      No eggs in my recipe, but I’m sure there may be variations out there that include them. ;) Thanks! (Also, saw your other comment, but responded here so to not confuse other readers.)

102. sorry, it was the person that put it on pinterest that had eggs in hers. Not your recipe. Does yours not use eggs? I have made this for many years (25) and always put 1 egg in it. It’s delicious huh!

103. I have made this the past 2 Thanksgivings, it is so good. I am getting my list together for this year.
    Adding this comment that you can definetly make this ahead and reheat on Thanksgiving.

104. I didn’t have creamed corn so I’m actually using some hominy.. I doubled the corn bread (2 box)I sauteed the hominy on the stove in butter, added onion, salt pepper, garlic powder and chopped jalapeno’s. To my corn bread batter I added 1/4 cupsour cream and a couple tablespoons of cream cheese since I didn’t have much shredded cheese, only a few tablespoons.. Hoping this will be a good; I”m serving some hot dogs to go along with it…

• It was delicious and we love the chewy texture of hominy verses crisp corn; it’s a nice change and you may want to try… I sauteed the hominy in was a large “cast iron skillet” (12″) and was very hot when I added the batter over my hominy & onion mixture… I baked in the same pan. I wasn’t sure on how long to bake since the box called for 400 so I preheated to 400, then dropped down to 375 for about 10 minutes and then to 350… Yeah it was guess work but it ended up being done around 30 minutes and was a medium brown…