Sour cream chicken enchiladas are so delicious you will find this recipe on your meal plan every week. Easy and creamy chicken enchiladas!
It doesn't get much easier than these sour cream chicken enchiladas. For Cinco de Mayo, if time is tight but you want to celebrate at home, consider this recipe for the creamiest and easiest enchiladas. Serve with our favorite Mexican rice and black beans.
🧾 Grocery List
These enchiladas may not be the most authentic, but this recipe is a family favorite for over 15 years now! You can use corn or flour tortillas, although I prefer flour for taste and the ease of rolling without breakage.
Ingredients for this recipe:
- Shredded chicken (3 cups - Rotisserie works!)
- Salsa (1 cup of your favorite)
- Diced green chiles (4 oz. can)
- Monterey jack cheese (1 cup shredded)
- Cheddar cheese (1 cup shredded)
- 10-inch flour tortillas (8 to 10 count)
- Cream of chicken soup (10 oz. can)
- Sour cream (1 1/2 cups)
- Ground cumin (1 teaspoon)
- Garlic powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Onion powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- Black pepper (1/4 teaspoon)
You can add more or less seasonings to your taste preference. This recipe is very forgiving and easy to change up! You can even use a different kind of meat if you prefer ground beef enchiladas or steak enchiladas.
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
👩🏽🍳 How to Make Shredded Chicken
This recipe calls for 3 cups shredded cooked chicken. There are many ways you can get shredded chicken for this recipe.
- Rotisserie chicken - If you are short on time, just grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and pull the meat from it!
- CrockPot shredded chicken - If you have time in the morning, toss a couple of chicken breasts into a slow cooker and by dinner time you'll have cooked chicken you can easily shred for this recipe! Click here for my CrockPot shredded chicken recipe.
- Boiled shredded chicken - One of my favorite ways to prepare shredded chicken is by boiling it. This method leaves me with a delicious broth for my chicken and dumplings and then I have plenty of shredded chicken to reserve for another use like these enchiladas.
- Slow cooker chicken taco meat - One of our most frequented dinner recipes is chicken tacos using this recipe. It's the easiest way to get the most flavorful shredded chicken with all the Mexican flavors. All you do is place chicken breasts in a slow cooker with a jar of salsa and a packet of taco seasoning. If you use this meat for these enchiladas, you do not need to add another 1 cup of salsa.
You can also bake the chicken and shred it after, but it's not my most preferred method.
🍽 Sour Cream Cheese Sauce
The sauce for these enchiladas is super creamy and super easy. You simply mix sour cream and cream of chicken soup with a few seasonings then pour over the rolled tortillas. Look at the dreamy creamy sauce!!
Depending on the size of your tortillas, you will fit anywhere from 8 to 10 in a pan. The typical size for enchiladas is 10-inch tortillas, but I've used 8-inch and smaller, depending on what I have on hand. Every once in a while I use my homemade tortilla recipe!
There isn't much more to say about this recipe. It's been a family favorite for so long and I hope it becomes your family's favorite, too!
🍚 What to Serve with Chicken Enchiladas
These easy chicken enchiladas are great with any Mexican-inspired side dishes. Try our following favorite recipes:
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Seven-Layer Tex Mex Dip
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Mexican Street Corn
- Mexican Brownie Bottom Cheesecake
You can click here to browse more of my Mexican cuisine recipes!
This recipe was originally published March 2007 and updated April 2021. Photography by Marie Roffey.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken , from a rotisserie is fine!
- 1 cup salsa , choose your favorite
- 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese *
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese *
- 8-10 ct. 10-inch flour tortillas
- 10 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt , more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper , more or less to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, salsa, green chiles and half of the cheese. Divide chicken mixture evenly in tortillas, roll and place seam side down in lightly greased 9x13-inch pan.
- In medium bowl, mix chicken soup, sour cream and spices. Pour over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is golden.
- *I prefer to use freshly shredded cheese from a block as it melts better, but you can use pre-shredded.
- Seasoning measurements can vary, to taste.
- In a pinch, use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- If you have time to prep, try using my favorite slow cooker chicken taco meat recipe.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only, based on 10 servings and 1 serving = 1 enchilada.