This Crockpot Shredded Chicken recipe is the easiest way to make cooked shredded chicken. One batch is enough to make at least 6 cups of shredded chicken ready for your quick weeknight dinner recipes. Freeze leftovers for later!
Every month, I make shredded chicken to use immediately and freeze for later. Sometimes I boil chicken breasts with a few other ingredients, other times I use this easy Crockpot Shredded Chicken recipe. I shouldn't even call it a recipe because it is so very simple. This batch makes at least 6 cups of shredded chicken. Most of my chicken recipes use between 2 to 3 cups of cooked shredded chicken -- a potential of up to 3 dinners (and usually we have leftover meals from those recipes!)
Shredded Chicken Recipe (Pulled Chicken)
Sure, you can buy a rotisserie chicken from the store, discard the skin and shred it with two forks. But, what if you can't make it to the store? AND, there really is no need since making your own is this easy! Gather these ingredients:
- Chicken breasts: Pick boneless and skinless.
- Chicken broth: Use regular or low-sodium.
- Bay leaves: For a little extra flavor.
- Salt & pepper: You'll season it to taste.
How to Make Cooked Shredded Chicken
- Place chicken breasts into the crock pot bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.
It really is that simple! Make sure you use a slow cooker that is not too big. Too big, and you'll end up with dry chicken. I use my 6 quart and squeeze in 5 large chicken breasts.
Click here for the full recipe ingredients and instructions.
What to do with shredded chicken
Everyone should know how to make cooked shredded chicken because it is a main ingredient in many dinner recipes. These recipes are much more convenient when you have the cooked shredded chicken ready! Many of my favorite weeknight dinner recipes included 2 to 3 cups of shredded chicken.
After shredding the chicken, I'll use what I need for that night then will store the rest in 2 cup portions in freezer bags. If I know I'll use some of it within the next few days, then I'll keep that portion in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Recipes that use shredded chicken
Try these easy recipes that use shredded chicken:
- Southern Chicken and Dumplings
- Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Alfredo Pepper Rings
- Chicken and Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Poppyseed Chicken
- Baked Chicken Egg Rolls
- Chicken and Rice Green Bean Casserole
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Chicken Pot Pie
For this crock pot shredded chicken, I keep the seasoning very simple so I can use it in a variety of recipes. But, I have also added a jar of salsa to make crock pot shredded chicken tacos, a cup of barbecue sauce for crock pot shredded barbecue chicken, cooked the chicken in more broth and seasonings for a crock pot tortilla soup, among others.
So go and prep a bunch of this shredded chicken to keep in your freezer for those last minute weeknight meals. You won't regret it!
Print the recipe to save for later. Made this recipe? Come back and leave a comment and/or star rating, I love hearing from you!
Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 to 5 large chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt , to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper , to taste
- Place chicken breasts into bowl of slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Add bay leaf and pour in broth.
- Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours until chicken is cooked through and easily shreds. Shred with two forks and use as recipe indicates, or store for later use. (See notes.)
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to one week.
- Store in plastic bags in 2 to 3 portions in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1/4 cup of shredded chicken and is only an estimate.